Kampala: Witchcraft creeps into public offices

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
By John Semakula & Faustine Odeke

The need to secure a job has become so critical, some Ugandans are resorting to witchcraft. As those with jobs seek the services of witchdoctors to keep themselves in office, those without also turn to the same to oust them.

In Tororo district, former resident district commissioner Kennedy Adhola Otiti was recently accused of performing rituals in his office to block his transfer to a ‘dry area'.

Otiti was transferred to Alebtong. But sources said even after handing over office, he sneaked back into his former office with two ‘doctors' to perform ‘rituals'.

It is alleged that some security personnel, who were on duty, saw Otiti and the ‘doctors' struggling to unlock the office, before they got in and performed the rituals.

But Otiti laughed off the allegations, saying that was propaganda to tarnish his image.

"Even before I entered that office, some people told me there were charms. The story of witchcraft is not new. If I took the charms to the office, the Regional Police Commander, Peter Kakonge, who accompanied me there, must have been aware," he said.
CRAFTfetish.jpg

Fetishes including all sorts of items
CRAFTfetish1.jpg

Smoking pipes retrieved from a shrine in Kibuli
CRAFTfetish2.jpg
The witchcraft rumours reportedly caused panic at the RDC's office building, which also houses the Malaba Regional Police headquarters and other district offices.

Following the rumour, Otiti's successor, Modesta Bessie Ajilong, refused to assume office, before the building was ‘cleansed.'

Saturday Vision has learnt that Ajilong invited pastors Moses Widila of Ebenezer Gospel Centre, Amos Omoit of Deliverance Church and Gogo Amolon from Sironko to pray for the office. "I invited the pastors to bring an end to the panic that had engulfed the workers," she said.

Afu wanakomaa kuwa Tz ni number one kwa uchawi...tofauti yetu na wao ni kuwa sisi huku hiyo ni biashara huria...matangazo kila kona....te te te

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom