JKIA has NO instrument Landing System? (ILS)

Mkikuyu- Akili timamu

JF-Expert Member
Feb 16, 2018
How can a flights be delayed / diverted because of a mere foggy weather?
Does this So called Cat1 Airport have ILS?
CC: Kafrican
šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡

IN SUMMARY
  • Flights were on Monday morning diverted from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi to Mombasa.
  • Kenya Airways says decision taken as a safety measure due to fog.
  • Fog engulfed parts of the Kenyan capital, including Wilson Airport, affecting operations.
Several flights were on Monday morning diverted from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi to Mombasa due to bad weather.
Among the affected planes was the 7.35am Kenya Airways flight from Kisumu which touched down at Moi International Airport in the coastal city.
ā€œWe have landed in Mombasa. Told thereā€™s heavy fog over JKIA so we couldnā€™t land. We are told to wait for 30 minutes here for the fog to clear and then resume our trip,ā€ tweeted Nelson Osiemo, who was in the flight.
Sources at Kenya Airways told the Nationthat the flights were diverted as a safety measure.
Fog engulfed parts of the Kenyan capital, including Wilson Airport, affecting operations.
At Wilson, take-off was restricted and planes could be seen parked as managers waited for the fog to clear.
ALSO READ
More follows.
by Taboola
Sponsored Links

You May Like
You Better Act If You Have Any Of These 11 Deadly Cancer SymptomsHealth & Human Research
New SUV Prices in Nairobi Might Surprise YouSUV | Search Ads
Stop Paying a Fortune for Cheap New SUVsSUVs | Search Ads
20 Foods That Are Killing You Slowlyhealthyandpretty
This Is What The Length of Your Fingers Can Tell YouTips and Tricks
Dubai Investment Properties Might Actually Surprise YouProperty Investment | Search Ads
The Cost of Hair Transplant in Turkey Might Surprise YouHair Transplant | Search Ads
They Took The Same Pictures for 40 Years. Don't Cry When You See The Last!Luxxory
TODAY IN HOME
ā€˜I watched my wife die at Hellā€™s Gateā€™ - PHOTOS, VIDEO
2 HOURS AGOKQ diverts flights from JKIA
5 HOURS AGOSix dead in Hell's Gate tragedy
1 HOUR AGOKPL Round One: Team of the week
3 HOURS AGOPoliceman dies at Kariuki's Thika factory
4 HOURS AGOFive things we learned from KPL Round One
18 HOURS AGOWealthy Kenyans return Sh118bn stashed abroad
4 HOURS AGOEx-police boss in fake cop Waiganjoā€™s case dies
24/4/2012FROM THE ARCHIVES: Trail of tragedy at Hell's Gate
7 HOURS AGOWeston land linked to another land grabbing case
1 HOUR AGOSossion back as Knut boss
Brand Book
Govt seeks Sh500m in third M-Akiba offer
Politics
7 HOURS AGOForget the presidency, Mt Kenya MPs tell Raila
Legislators criticise ODM leader Raila Odinga, calling him a spent force and urging him to retire
Life & Style
Forced to undergo cut at childbirth
Florence Sinet's tale highlights force of tradition and superstition in the fight against FGM.
Sports
2 MINUTES AGOTrio shortlisted for Fifa award
The Dutch international denied Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.
Counties
Murangā€™a farmers' group holds first AGM in 15 years
Members vow to fight for return of their land sold illegally.
Africa
8 HOURS AGO15 dead in Mali building collapse
26 people were rescued alive from the three-storey building under construction.
Next SectionNews
Classic version
NEWS
'I watched as my wife was swept away at Hell's Gate gorge'

By MACHARIA MWANGI
More by this AuthorIN SUMMARY
  • Survivor recounts his miraculous escape from the jaws of death.
  • Ivraj Singh Hayer's wife, five other relatives and a tour guide were washed away by torrent floods.
  • They were part of 13 family members on tour at the Hell's Gate National Park.
Mr Ivraj Singh Hayer was still in a state of shock as he explained his miraculous escape from jaws of death.
His wife, five other relatives and a tour guide were not as lucky and they were washed away by torrent floods. Their bodies were found on Monday morning.
At 2.12pm on Sunday, according to Mr Hayer, they paid some fee and decided totake a quick walk through the famous gorge at the Hell's Gate National Park.
Ol-Jorowa Gorge at Hell's Gate National Park in Naivasha, Nakuru County. PHOTO | FILE
"Before I decided to take the detour...I was very inquisitive about the safety but they (guides) assured that it was well," said the mourning Mr Hayer.
With 13 family members in tow, they trudged on, eager to sample natural marvels at the historic gorge.
More in Home
Sossion back as Knut boss

Forget the presidency, Mt Kenya MPs tell Raila

Trio shortlisted for Fifa award

Busia kin of woman killed by police car want justice

Pope Francis visits 3 African countries
RELATED STORIES
DISTRESS
At around 3pm slight showers triggered alarm bells, with Mr Hayer expressing his reservation but was told the last tragedy occurred almost nine years ago.
"Suddenly, the water started flowing downstream and me and my driver held at each other as my relatives were being swept away," he said.
"He (a guide) made several distress calls to the KWS main office but the response was not forthcoming," said Mr Hayer.
For close to one hour, they clung to their dear lives, with the driver holding on a stone while Mr Hayer and his niece clung on him.
"It took long for us to be rescued leading to death of the seven," he added.
LIVESTOCK SWEPT AWAY
For residents of the low lying Suswa area along the Naivasha-Narok highway, occasional floods sweep across their semi-permanent houses anytime it rains upstream.
But on Monday morning, they woke up to a rude shock after learning that the bodies of five family members swept away by torrent floods were discovered within the vicinity.
Some of their members had joined security agencies in the rescue and search mission, but the particular incident unnerved them.
Next
Get Breaking News Delivered to your Inbox
Subscribe
Continue reading: 'I watched as my wife was swept away at Hell's Gate gorge'
NEXT
Next articles
News
Sonko to clear air on shady garbage collection tenders
Weston land linked to another land grabbing case
Govt approves acquisition of De La Rue
Public servants fail to surrender Sh94 million imprests
Knut stands firm on Wilson Sossion suspension
Labour of love that led to the birth of Nairobi Museum
Business
Uber seeks clarity on taxing online firms
NCA halts renovation of Java and Artcaffe outlets
Safaricom more than doubles home fibre link
Zamara now bars early retirees from employer cash
3 DAYS AGORogue millionaires on DCI radar - VIDEO
Banks gain most in Sh1,000 notes switch
Classic version

What do you mean "Does this So called Cat1 Airport have ILS? "

CAT I and Cat II runways use lights and altimeter radar..... You must visually see the runway withing a 600m-800m range for CATI and 400m for CATII to make the appropriate landing adjustments before reaching the runway ..

Only CAT III runways support auto-land(Auto-pilot Landing) and zero visibility of the runway.

Airports located in sunny coastal cities don't usually suffer because they never experience low visibility even in bad weather but cities that are in highlands or geographic locations that experience fog have to deal with this

What do you mean "Does this So called Cat1 Airport have ILS? "

CAT I and Cat II runways use lights and altimeter radar..... You must visually see the runway withing a 600m-800m range for CATI and 400m for CATII to make the appropriate landing adjustments before reaching the runway ..

Only CAT III runways support auto-land(Auto-pilot Landing) and zero visibility of the runway.

Airports located in sunny coastal cities don't usually suffer because they never experience low visibility even in bad weather but cities that are in highlands or geographic locations that experience fog have to deal with this
ILS my Guy..Dont worry about Category..
Shameful!

Boss even though an airport can have ILS remember kuna decision height mostly 200 feet to see the runway ya kuland or else execute a missed approach, wacha siasa, our runway is better than yours, i actually was around Jkia and the service ceiling was very low

šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡

IN SUMMARY
  • Flights were on Monday morning diverted from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi to Mombasa.
  • Fog engulfed parts of the Kenyan capital, including Wilson Airport, affecting operations.
Several flights were on Monday morning diverted from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi to Mombasa due to bad weather.
Among the affected planes was the 7.35am Kenya Airways flight from Kisumu which touched down at Moi International Airport in the coastal city.
ā€œWe have landed in Mombasa. Told thereā€™s heavy fog over JKIA so we couldnā€™t land. We are told to wait for 30 minutes here for the fog to clear and then resume our trip,ā€ tweeted Nelson Osiemo, who was in the flight.
Sources at Kenya Airways told the Nationthat the flights were diverted as a safety measure.
Fog engulfed parts of the Kenyan capital, including Wilson Airport, affecting operations.
At Wilson, take-off was restricted and planes could be seen parked as managers waited for the fog to clear.
ALSO READ
More follows.
by Taboola
Sponsored Links

You May Like
You Better Act If You Have Any Of These 11 Deadly Cancer SymptomsHealth & Human Research
Dubai Investment Properties Might Actually Surprise YouProperty Investment | Search Ads
The Cost of Hair Transplant in Turkey Might Surprise YouHair Transplant | Search Ads
They Took The Same Pictures for 40 Years. Don't Cry When You See The Last!Luxxory
TODAY IN HOME
Brand Book
Politics
Legislators criticise ODM leader Raila Odinga, calling him a spent force and urging him to retire
Life & Style
Florence Sinet's tale highlights force of tradition and superstition in the fight against FGM.
Sports
Counties
Africa
Next SectionNews
Classic version
NEWS

By MACHARIA MWANGI
  • Ivraj Singh Hayer's wife, five other relatives and a tour guide were washed away by torrent floods.
Mr Ivraj Singh Hayer was still in a state of shock as he explained his miraculous escape from jaws of death.
His wife, five other relatives and a tour guide were not as lucky and they were washed away by torrent floods. Their bodies were found on Monday morning.
At 2.12pm on Sunday, according to Mr Hayer, they paid some fee and decided totake a quick walk through the famous gorge at the Hell's Gate National Park.
Ol-Jorowa Gorge at Hell's Gate National Park in Naivasha, Nakuru County. PHOTO | FILE
"Before I decided to take the detour...I was very inquisitive about the safety but they (guides) assured that it was well," said the mourning Mr Hayer.
With 13 family members in tow, they trudged on, eager to sample natural marvels at the historic gorge.
More in Home

RELATED STORIES
DISTRESS
At around 3pm slight showers triggered alarm bells, with Mr Hayer expressing his reservation but was told the last tragedy occurred almost nine years ago.
"Suddenly, the water started flowing downstream and me and my driver held at each other as my relatives were being swept away," he said.
"He (a guide) made several distress calls to the KWS main office but the response was not forthcoming," said Mr Hayer.
For close to one hour, they clung to their dear lives, with the driver holding on a stone while Mr Hayer and his niece clung on him.
LIVESTOCK SWEPT AWAY
For residents of the low lying Suswa area along the Naivasha-Narok highway, occasional floods sweep across their semi-permanent houses anytime it rains upstream.
But on Monday morning, they woke up to a rude shock after learning that the bodies of five family members swept away by torrent floods were discovered within the vicinity.
Some of their members had joined security agencies in the rescue and search mission, but the particular incident unnerved them.
Next
Subscribe
NEXT
Next articles
News
Business
Classic version
Hata America flights are diverted due to foggy weather.

Boss even though an airport can have ILS remember kuna decision height mostly 200 feet to see the runway ya kuland or else execute a missed approach, wacha siasa, our runway is better than yours, i actually was around Jkia and the service ceiling was very low
Planes land in heavy snow..Fog is nothing

Planes land in heavy snow..Fog is nothing
Lazima upinge everything? The worst weather conditions are microbursts, hizo zingine it only depends na visibility, and i told you minimum height decision is 200 feet, is fog is beyond that no aircraft is allowed to land

Diversions due to snow and Iced runways. NOT fog or Rain.
By the way planes have autoland from 1990's
image-133857225.jpg

About a quarter of all departing and arriving flights out of New Yorkā€™s LaGuardia Airport were delayed Tuesday, according to
flight tracking service FlightAware. JFK International Airport, also in New York, and Philadelphia International Airport experienced similar delays, all thanks to that age-old culprit: fog.

REad more here to understand why even with ILS, fog still causes flights to be delayed/cancelled https://www.ibtimes.com/why-does-fog-cause-so-many-flight-delays-1929723

--------------------------------
Heavy fog causes flight delays, cancellations at Sydney Airport

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Heavy fog caused delays and cancellations at Australiaā€™s busiest international flight hub, Sydney Airport, on Saturday morning.
There were 10 cancellations of domestic flights and delays of international flights, a Sydney Airport spokesperson told Reuters at 8 a.m. local time (2200 GMT on Friday).
While the fog had lifted by noon, delays of up to an hour for international and domestic flights continued, the airport spokesman said.

-----------------------------------------------

šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡

IN SUMMARY
ALSO READ
More follows.
by Taboola
Sponsored Links

You May Like
TODAY IN HOME
Brand Book
Politics
Life & Style
Sports
Counties
Africa
Next SectionNews
Classic version
NEWS

By MACHARIA MWANGI
More in Home

RELATED STORIES
DISTRESS
LIVESTOCK SWEPT AWAY
Next
Subscribe
NEXT
Next articles
News
Business
Classic version

Coming from a country which relied on Kenya for radar until last year.. šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚

Jkia 2018 - 8.3 million passengers
JNIA - 2.8 million.

IN SUMMARY
ALSO READ
More follows.
by Taboola
Sponsored Links

You May Like
TODAY IN HOME
Brand Book
Politics
Life & Style
Sports
Counties
Africa
Next SectionNews
Classic version
NEWS

By MACHARIA MWANGI
More in Home

RELATED STORIES
DISTRESS
LIVESTOCK SWEPT AWAY
Next
Subscribe
NEXT
Next articles
News