JF-Expert Member
May 19, 2008
the dark side of the mobile technology.

RIP Winfreda

Man kills wife over love sms
Monday, 15th December, 2008 E-mail article Print article

Bale and wife Winfred Bagumya on their wedding day

By Abdulkarim Ssengendo
A 37-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly killing his 32-year-old wife over a love sms sent to her on December 1. Marcellinus Bale attempted to grab his wife, Winfred Bagumya’s phone so as to read the message but she snatched the phone from him and deleted the sms.

In a fit of anger, Bale grabbed a bottle and smashed her head. She died three days later at the International Hospital Kampala, where she was rushed in critical condition. She was buried on December 7, but Bale did not attend the funeral for fear of being lynched.

Bale said he had read part of the message by the time the wife grabbed the phone.

“I wish you quick recovery and we should resume where we had stopped,” he quoted the sms. His wife had just been discharged from hospital after a surgery.

“I was from the shower with my lovely wife,” Bale narrated. “As soon as we entered the bedroom, I heard as sms on her phone and when I tried to read it, my wife jumped and grabbed the phone, denying me the chance to read it. I had already read one sentence; it was a love message.”

He did not know who sent the message, he said, and that the couple did not have any conflict before and had lived in love.

Before the fight, he said, he had just had great fun with her in the bedroom. “I could not imagine such a thing happening that day,” he said.

Bale, the project coordinator of Environmental Conservation Trust of Uganda, an NGO in Masindi, had been married for eight years to his wife who was the deputy headmistress of St. Bridget Secondary School in Isingiro district.

The couple was living in Kashenyi, Kyeera parish in Birere sub-county and had two sons. Mbarara chief crime investigator Jackson Tumwine said Bale would be charged with murder. He warned phone users to set security codes on their phones to avoid fighting with their spouses over sms, which he said sometimes go to wrong receivers.

New Vision Online : Man kills wife over love sms

Back
Top Bottom