Interesting WikiLeaks cable on Egypt's VP

Rungu

JF-Expert Member
Feb 23, 2007
Nadhani hata Bongo predictions kama hizi toka kwa ubalozi wa marekani tayari zipo!

Wikileaks Report: New Egypt Vice President, Omar Suleiman and Presidential succession in Egypt

Posted on January 29, 2011 under OMAR SULEIMAN EGYPT
"THE MOST LIKELY CONTENDERS ARE PRESIDENTIAL SON GAMAL MUBARAK (WHOSE PROFILE IS EVER-INCREASING AT THE RULING NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY), EGIS CHIEF OMAR SOLIMAN, DARK HORSE ARAB LEAGUE SECRETARY GENERAL AMRE MOUSSA, OR AN AS-YET UNKNOWN MILITARY OFFICER." WikeLeaks cable created in May 2007

Suleiman headed the Egyptian intelligence Service

The quote above is documented in cable 07CAIRO1417 entitled, PRESIDENTIAL SUCCESSION IN EGYPT, a document created in May 2007. Ominous prediction indeed, as Omar Suleiman has now been appointed as Vice President under the embattled President Mubarak and most commentators now think that is a move to allow President Mubarak to bow out gracefully and to hand over the reigns of power to his trusted and loyal confidante.

Not even the best American diplomats could have predicted the current turmoil and new found strenght of the Egyptian people to attempt to topple the Mubarak regime. Their courage in pouring onto the streets of major Egyptian cities demanding reforms has made it impossible for President Mubarak to plan differently. To "annoint" Gamal Mubarak, his son, as successor is now clearly out of the question as Mubarak senior himself fights for his own political survival.
WHOEVER ENDS UP AS EGYPT'S NEXT PRESIDENT LIKELY WILL BE POLITICALLY WEAKER THAN MUBARAK
This prediction in this 2007 cable is extraordinary, especially given the American reaction to Omar Suleiman's appointment which was made clear by P J Crowley, a State Department spokesperson – "The Egyptian government can't reshuffle the deck and then stand pat". Given the demands of ordinary Egyptians to see a complete break from the Mubarak regime, Omar Suleiman will have a hard time making his position sustainable.

Full details of "PRESIDENTIAL SUCCESSION IN EGYPT" cable below
C O N F I D E N T I A L CAIRO 001417
SIPDIS
SIPDIS
NSC FOR WATERS
E.O. 12958: DECL: 05/13/2017
TAGS: PREL PGOV KDEM EG
SUBJECT: PRESIDENTIAL SUCCESSION IN EGYPT
REF: A. CAIRO 671
¶B. CAIRO 974
¶C. 2006 CAIRO 2010
CLASSIFIED BY: AMBASSADOR FRANCIS J. RICCIARDONE,
FOR REASONS 1.4 (B) AND (D).
¶1. (C) SUMMARY AND INTRODUCTION: PRESIDENTIAL SUCCESSION IS
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM OF EGYPTIAN POLITICS. DESPITE
INCESSANT WHISPERED DISCUSSIONS, NO ONE IN EGYPT HAS ANY
CERTAINTY ABOUT WHO WILL SUCCEED MUBARAK, OR HOW THE
SUCCESSION WILL HAPPEN. MUBARAK HIMSELF SEEMS TO BE TRUSTING
TO GOD AND THE INERTIA OF THE MILITARY AND CIVILIAN SECURITY
SERVICES TO ENSURE AN ORDERLY TRANSITION. IN THE CURRENT
POLITICAL FRAMEWORK, THE MOST LIKELY CONTENDERS ARE
PRESIDENTIAL SON GAMAL MUBARAK (WHOSE PROFILE IS
EVER-INCREASING AT THE RULING NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY),
EGIS CHIEF OMAR SOLIMAN, DARK HORSE ARAB LEAGUE SECRETARY
GENERAL AMRE MOUSSA, OR AN AS-YET UNKNOWN MILITARY OFFICER.
WHOEVER ENDS UP AS EGYPT'S NEXT PRESIDENT LIKELY WILL BE
POLITICALLY WEAKER THAN MUBARAK. ONCE MUBARAK'S SUCCESSOR
HAS ASSUMED THE POST, HIS FIRST PRIORITY WILL BE TO BUILD
POPULAR SUPPORT. WE THUS EXPECT THAT THE NEW PRESIDENT WILL
LIKELY ADOPT AN ANTI-AMERICAN TONE IN HIS INITIAL PUBLIC
RHETORIC, IN AN EFFORT TO PROVE HIS NATIONALIST BONA FIDES TO
THE EGYPTIAN STREET, AND MAY POSSIBLY EXTEND AN OLIVE BRANCH
TO THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD, AS DID PREVIOUS EGYPTIAN
PRESIDENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THEIR TERMS. END SUMMARY.

NB: This is just a summary of the cable. The rest has been left out.

You can see how embassies keep their governments informed of developments in countries they represent; I wonder as to whether our own embassies do the same.

its too late now
This is the problem of replying to a topic without reading it! I am sure if you were one of our embassy staffs you would not bother to do the needful.

Maafisa usalama wa bongo na wale waliopo kny balozi zetu wanaweza haya yanayofanywa na wenzetu? Au kazi kuwafuatilia kina mzambia wako wapi basi na umbeaumbea tu without any projections of our future govt?

You can see how embassies keep their governments informed of developments in countries they represent; I wonder as to whether our own embassies do the same.
Our embassies are busy working on CCM agenda's rather than trying to see how effect our country can nature its economy simply by spying in those countries and see what we can get in terms of business and other related matters

Maafisa usalama wa bongo na wale waliopo kny balozi zetu wanaweza haya yanayofanywa na wenzetu? Au kazi kuwafuatilia kina mzambia wako wapi basi na umbeaumbea tu without any projections of our future govt?
Kazi ya Maafisa usalama wa Bongo ni kufuatilia vyama vya upinzani na kupeleka umbea kwa JK

This is the problem of replying to a topic without reading it! I am sure if you were one of our embassy staffs you would not bother to do the needful.
I guess he wrote that comment while sleeping or he had taken something lol!!!!

mabalozi wa tz just sit in their offices to sign Passports or visas to get some money and in the evening have parties at their residences and go after local women.

Back
Top Bottom