IGG Orders Probe Into Fresh Encroachment on Busega–Mpigi Expressway Corridor

IGG Orders Probe Into Fresh Encroachment on Busega–Mpigi Expressway Corridor

Da Dona

JF-Expert Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2025
Posts
826
Reaction score
526
The Inspectorate of Government (IGG) has ordered investigations and enforcement action over fresh encroachment on land reserved for the Busega–Mpigi Expressway and the Standard Gauge Railway, despite earlier compensation of affected persons.
sddefault.jpg
📸 Pictorial View on the progress of the project by Dominic Mutyaba on YouTube.

Deputy Inspector General of Government Anne Twinomugisha Muhairwe said the Inspectorate was dissatisfied with the handling of the matter and blamed the Ministry of Works and Transport for failing to decisively address the illegal developments along the project corridor.

“We were not satisfied with the explanation given. If there is encroachment, the ministry should have acted,” Ms Muhairwe told journalists after an inspection tour conducted on Tuesday.

The IGG team inspected areas near Nabaziza in Kyengera Town Council, where fresh developments and activities have reportedly emerged within the road reserve and railway corridor. The renewed encroachment has raised concerns over possible delays and increased costs on the multi-billion infrastructure project.

Officials from the Works Ministry and project contractors accompanied the IGG team during the inspection. The Deputy IGG warned that failure to protect the corridor could undermine government investments intended to ease traffic congestion and improve transport connectivity between Kampala and Mpigi.

The Busega–Mpigi Expressway is one of Uganda’s major road infrastructure projects aimed at expanding the Kampala–Masaka highway into a four-lane dual carriage expressway. The project has previously faced delays linked to compensation disputes, the Covid-19 pandemic, and land acquisition challenges.

Source: Daily Monitor UG
 
Back
Top Bottom