Henry could face FIFA sanction Wednesday, 2 December 2009 16:12 Thierry Henry is to be investigated by FIFA's disciplinary committee over his handball against the Republic of Ireland in the second leg of the World Cup play-off on 18 November. The incident was the subject of detailed discussion in an emergency meeting of the FIFA executive committee in Cape Town today. FIFA president Sepp Blatter told a news conference: 'The disciplinary will open a case on the behaviour of the player Thierry Henry.' Asked why FIFA were making a special case of Henry, he added: 'This is a matter of the disciplinary committee and it's not a question of this player or another - it was a blatant unfair playing and was shown all around the world, but I don't know what the outcome will be.' Blatter insisted that there was no certainty Henry would be banned. He said: 'I have not said that Thierry Henry will be punished, I have said that Thierry Henry will be examined by the disciplinary committee of FIFA.' Blatter said players should realise that the eyes of the world will be on them next summer. 'I appeal to all the players and coaches to observe this fair play. In 2010 we want to prove that football is more than just kicking a ball but has social and cultural value,' he added. 'So we ask the players 'please observe fair play' so they will be an example to the rest of the world.' Blatter also revealed the Football Association of Ireland had withdrawn their bid to be included as a 33rd country in the World Cup and apologised for his comments earlier this week suggesting it had not been considered seriously. 'We have received a letter from the FAI withdrawing their demand to be accepted as team number 33. 'I would like to express my regrets to a wrong interpretation of what I said and to the FAI I'm sorry about the headlines going around the world. I have nothing against the Irish, they were very sporting when they came to FIFA.'