Facebook "Open Sources" Almost Everything About Its Servers, Data Centers

Mtazamaji

JF-Expert Member
Feb 29, 2008
Social network offers a veritable blueprint for anyone who wants to build an energy efficient data center

When one in six people in the world are subscribed to your service and half of those access it on a daily basis, you're in a pretty unique position. Or more aptly, your name is probably Facebook. The mega social network has been the topic of much scrutiny -- and even a Hollywood movie -- but it's doing something now that might surprise its critics and supporters alike; it's sharing its secrets.

When a business cooks up a model for success, it typically keeps it close to its chest. Take Google. For all its talk of "not being evil" and being open Google has released precious little about how it is accomplishing massive energy saving at is data centers................

Read full story @ DailyTech - Facebook "Open Sources" Almost Everything About Its Servers, Data Centers

Daily tech is my number1 online tech magazine

HP has pulled the wraps off some new EliteBook notebooks for business users. The new notebooks include the HP EliteBook 8460W, 8560W, and 8760W. These three machines are the successors to the EliteBook 8440w, 8540w, and 8740w models that landed last year.

The new machines share some common hardware and features between the three versions. All of them use the new Sandy Bridge processors from Intel with dual-core Core i5 offerings along with dual- and quad-core Core i7 parts. The 8760W can be fitted with the Core i7-2920XM processor while the other new notebooks can't use that part.

The machines will use DDR3 1333 MHz RAM with dual RAM slots on the 8460W, while the two higher-end machines will get four RAM slots. The 8460W can be fitted with up to 16GB with the 8560W and 8760W models getting up to 32GB. Storage is up to 750GB with 2.5-inch 7,200rpm HDDs. SSD options are available with 128GB or 256GB SSDs. The high-end 8760W can support two internal HDDs and a third if you replace the optical drive
Read full article and other breaking tech news @ DailyTech

Back
Top Bottom