Deadly bomb blast rocks Quetta...protests follow!!

Deadly bomb blast rocks Quetta...protests follow!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Posts
14,630
Reaction score
4,267

_65215991_65215990.jpg

Fears for Pakistan as blasts kill 126

9 hours ago - AFP 0:52 | 51 views

Extremist bomb attacks killed at least 126 people on Thursday in one of Pakistan's deadliest days for years, raising concerns about rising violence in the country ahead of general elections. The worst attack saw two suicide bombers kill 92 people in the city of Quetta, in an area dominated by Shiite Muslims. Sunni militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claimed responsibility for the blasts.
 

_65215989_65215988.jpg



_65218235_qfppfnds.jpg


The bombings were in a predominantly Shia area, and a Sunni militant group said it carried out the attack.



_65218275_zomfphru.jpg


Earlier on Thursday, there was a bombing at a market in Quetta that killed 11 people.



_65211011_65211010.jpg


A militant group, the United Baloch Army, said it was responsible for the market attack. Balochistan is home to a separatist rebellion.



_65211009_65211008.jpg
 
Collapsed structures and debris are seen at the site of twin suicide bombings in Quetta on January 11, 2013 (AFP, Banaras Khan)

AFP – Extremist bomb attacks killed 125 people in one of Pakistan's deadliest days for years, raising concerns Friday about rising violence in the nuclear-armed country ahead of general elections.Two suicide bombers killed 92 people and wounded 121 after they targeted a crowded snooker club in the southwestern city of Quetta Thursday, in an area dominated by Shi'a Muslims from the Hazara ethnic minority.Extremist Sunni militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claimed responsibility for what was the worst single attack ever on Shi'as, who account for around 20 percent of Pakistan's 180 million population.

It was the deadliest attack in Pakistan since twin suicide bombers killed 98 people outside a police training centre in the northwestern town of Shabqadar on May 13, 2011 - shortly after US troops killed Osama bin Laden.

Earlier Thursday, a bomb detonated under a security force vehicle in a crowded part of Quetta, killing 11 people and wounding dozens.

A bomb at a religious gathering in the northwestern Swat valley killed 22 people and wounded more than 80, the deadliest incident in the district since the army in 2009 fought off a two-year Taliban insurgency.
At the snooker club, the first bomber struck inside the building then, 10 minutes later, an attacker in a car blew himself up as police, media workers and rescue teams rushed to the site, said police officer Mir Zubair Mehmood.

"The death toll is now 92. Some bodies were found from the blast site today," said police official Hamid Shakeel. He said all but five of the victims had been identified and handed over to their families for burial later Friday.
Nine police, three local journalists, several rescue workers and a spokesman for the Frontier Corps paramilitary were among those killed, officials said."We have collected two bags of body parts, including limbs, fingers, upper torsos, lower torsos, legs, feet," said Mohammed Raza, who works for a Hazara ambulance service.Akbar Hussain Durrani, home secretary in the provincial government of Baluchistan, said more than 120 people were wounded.

The government has announced three days of mourning in Baluchistan, and compensation of two million rupees ($20,560) to families of killed police officials and one million rupees to those of civilians.
Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claimed responsibility in telephone calls to local journalists. The group has links to Al-Qaeda and the Taliban, and was involved in the kidnap and beheading of reporter Daniel Pearl in January 2002.The attacks, coupled with violence in the northwest, revived warnings from analysts that an Islamist militancy could threaten national elections, expected sometime in May after parliament disbands in mid-March.

Polls would mark the first time an elected civilian government in Pakistan, for decades ruled by the military, completes a term in office and is replaced by another democratically elected government.

"The government is completely losing control over the situation. Events are taking place one after the other," security and political analyst, retired lieutenant general Talat Masood told AFP.
"The disturbing law and order situation will have a very adverse effect on elections.

The government seems to have no plans for security and nothing is being done for the safety of people who are being killed like flies."
But a senior official in the Quetta administration, Mohammad Hashim, denied sectarian violence had any bearing on elections."Incidents of sectarian violence have been taking place in the country for more than a decade. It may have an affect on law and order. I don't think it will have an impact on elections. It's not political, it's sectarian," he said.

Human Rights Watch said 2012 was the deadliest year on record for Shi'as in Pakistan and the government's failure to protect them "amounts to complicity in the barbaric slaughter of Pakistani citizens".

Baluchistan has long been a flashpoint for attacks against Shi'as and Hazaras, and suffers from a separatist insurgency and Islamist militancy linked to a domestic Taliban insurgency concentrated in the northwest.

Fears for Pakistan as blasts kill 125 - Daily News Egypt
 

_65215993_65215992.jpg


The province has also seen attacks by the Taliban and their supporters, especially in areas near the Afghan border.



_65218277_nwfek693.jpg


Yet another attack on Thursday, near Mingora in Pakistan's north-western Swat valley, left at least 21 people dead and more than 80 injured at a religious gathering.
 
Maandamano....

_65232913_65232580.jpg


Members of Pakistan's Shia minority have been holding protests around the country over what they say is a lack of protection in the south-western city of Quetta following Thursday's deadly bombings.



_65232149_65232148.jpg


Nearly 100 people, mostly from Quetta's Hazara Shia community, were killed in a series of blasts - the deadliest of which was claimed by the Sunni militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi.



_65233161_65233160.jpg


Relatives of some of the victims refused to bury their loved ones until they secured a promise of protection from the authorities.


_65232575_65232574.jpg


Protesters say the government has failed to protect the Shia community, and Shia leader Maulana Amid Shaheedi publicly accused army chief Ashfaq Kayani of inaction.
 
_65232920_65232919.jpg


Thursday's bloodshed in the Balochistan capital began with a bomb in a market area that killed 11 people and injured 27 others. The United Baloch Army militant group claimed responsibility for that attack.



_65232157_65232156.jpg


Later on in the evening, a suicide bomber detonated his device at a snooker hall in Alamdar Road. As relatives, journalists and the emergency services rushed to the scene, a car bomb exploded. At least 80 people were killed.


_65232153_65232152.jpg


Balochistan province has announced three days of mourning for one of the deadliest days of bombings in Pakistan in recent years.
 
Back
Top Bottom