Chinese firm leased obsolete aircraft for Air Tanzania

livefire

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2011
China Sonangol International Holdings Ltd, the Chinese government investment firm, has been plunged into fresh controversy following revelation that it procured obsolete aircraft for the Tanzanian flag carrier.

One of the three aircraft purchased by China Sonangol, a Dash 8 300 series operated by Air Tanzania Corporation Ltd (ATCL) crashed in April at Kigoma Airport in western Tanzania, injuring 35 passengers and four crew members. The aircraft is now a write-off.

A detailed report by the Controller and Auditor seen by The EastAfrican last week says that China Sonangol, as the lead investor in ATCL with a 49 per cent stake, in 2007 leased two secondhand aircraft contrary to a memorandum of understanding entered with the government of Tanzania that same year, after the breakup of the partnership with South African Airways in September 2006.

The planes were a Bombardier Dash 8-Q300 and an Airbus A320-214 that was all of 10 years old. In January 2009, the Airbus A320
underwent a Check D, also known as a Heavy Maintenance Visit, which is done after every four to five years.

Subsequently in July 2010, the aircraft was returned to the lessor, a Lebanese firm, Wallis Trading Company. The government on paper incurred a loss of $39 million on the lease of the Airbus, which according to the report did not fly. But the report further shows that the debt accumulated from the transactions with the Lebanese firm rose to Tsh322 billion ($200 million), enough to purchase three brand new Airbuses of the same series.

According to Airbus Aircraft 2012 Average List prices, the purchase order price of a brand new Airbus A320 series is $88.3 million.

Controller and Auditor General Ludovick Utouh says that the government involvement in business decision making at ATCL is a serious problem.

embu lete chanzo ili nisome kwa undani zaidi..... maana hii ni zaidi ya janga.....

embu lete chanzo ili nisome kwa undani zaidi..... maana hii ni zaidi ya janga.....

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/Chinese+firm+leased+obsolete+aircraft+for+Air+Tanzania/-/2558/1409032/-/tclnyt/-/index.html

China Sonangol International Holdings Ltd,
the Chinese government investment firm,
has been plunged into fresh controversy
following revelation that it procured
obsolete aircraft for the Tanzanian flag
carrier.
One of the three aircraft purchased by China
Sonangol, a Dash 8 300 series operated by
Air Tanzania Corporation Ltd (ATCL) crashed
in April at Kigoma Airport in western
Tanzania, injuring 35 passengers and four
crew members. The aircraft is now a write-
off.
A detailed report by the Controller and
Auditor seen by The EastAfrican last week
says that China Sonangol, as the lead
investor in ATCL with a 49 per cent stake, in
2007 leased two secondhand aircraft
contrary to a memorandum of
understanding entered with the
government of Tanzania that same year,
after the breakup of the partnership with
South African Airways in September 2006.
The planes were a Bombardier Dash 8-Q300
and an Airbus A320-214 that was all of 10
years old. In January 2009, the Airbus A320
underwent a Check D, also known as a Heavy
Maintenance Visit, which is done after every
four to five years.
Subsequently in July 2010, the aircraft was
returned to the lessor, a Lebanese firm,
Wallis Trading Company. The government on
paper incurred a loss of $39 million on the
lease of the Airbus, which according to the
report did not fly. But the report further
shows that the debt accumulated from the
transactions with the Lebanese firm rose to
Tsh322 billion ($200 million), enough to
purchase three brand new Airbuses of the
same series. According to Airbus Aircraft
2012 Average List prices, the purchase
order price of a brand new Airbus A320
series is $88.3 million.
Controller and Auditor General Ludovick
Utouh says that the government
involvement in business decision making at
ATCL is a serious problem.

That's the lost money was enough to buy three brand new Aircraft's is mind boggling; This is very sad!! Why would anyone in his right mind allow his government to be swindled like this?? Or it all boils down to corruption and kick-backs. Corruption is a disease that will for sure keep Africa poor for many decades to come…the time is nigh to declare death penalty on corrupt individuals

That’s the lost money was enough to buy three brand new Aircraft's is mind boggling; This is very sad!! Why would anyone in his right mind allow his government to be swindled like this?? Or it all boils down to corruption and kick-backs. Corruption is a disease that will for sure keep Africa poor for many decades to come…the time is nigh to declare death penalty against corrupt individuals

that bit in itself has left me wondering on the necessity of both the SA and Chineese alliances. A chance for 3 brand new airbus... Corruption and ignorant leadership are to blame. The whole board is culpable n stinks of corruption. Call it a bad bank draft to the tune of a whooping $240+ million to the drain.

viongozi wetu sijui wamefanywa nini na wachina-coz biashara wanayofanya nao-inatugarimu sana sisi ila wao wapo tu

Mkuu nadhani serikali yetu haiwezi kufanya biashara. Lazima tukubaliane hili, maana kwa sehemu watu wanatanguliza maslahi binafsi kwenye vitu makini kama hivi. Hebu jiulize, wale ambao walinusurika kufa KIGOMA wanamwonaje mchina, mtz aliyenunua ndege hii na serikali yetu? Je ni sahihi kuendelea kuwa na watu wa jinsi hii ofisini?

Huu nao ni Upepo...utapita bila kuona hatua ya kisheria ikichukuliwa na wachina kurudisha chenji kama walivyofanya waingereza na radar

that bit in itself has left me wondering on the necessity of both the SA and Chineese alliances. A chance for 3 brand new airbus... Corruption and ignorant leadership are to blame. The whole board is culpable n stinks of corruption. Call it a bad bank draft to the tune of a whooping $240+ million to the drain.

The board of ATCL was not involved in this transaction and that is the reason the CAG blames the government's involvement in the decision making process of ATCL in this transaction!!I wish he went farther to pinpoint the government functionaries who were directly responsible for this transaction!!

200m $ loss na hakuna mtu yeyote aliyepelekwa mahakamani kujibu hili??? hivi kuna serikali kweli?

Livefire, I thought the planes were bought straight from CANADA! by the way who filed this POST? Strange indeed.

Livefire, I thought the planes were bought straight from CANADA! by the way who filed this POST? Strange indeed.

apparently u (tanzanians) were duped. The planes were kinda rejects. Some cronies must have benefitted somewhere from the whole deal. Where's air tanzania now? *sad reality. i filed the post as it actually took me by surprise too...the sourcing/tender process must have been flawed.

no wonder we are mark timing while others are running!
Poor ATCL!
Corrupt leaders killed the flag carrier and propelled Precision Air to take over the routes.
I do not know who will save our country.
It is a dumping ground for everything......

apparently u (tanzanians) were duped. The planes were kinda rejects. Some cronies must have benefitted somewhere from the whole deal. Where's air tanzania now? *sad reality. i filed the post as it actually took me by surprise too...the sourcing/tender process must have been flawed.

At the same time, the TAKUKURU's officials are flourishing for the well done job!

200m $ loss na hakuna mtu yeyote aliyepelekwa mahakamani kujibu hili??? hivi kuna serikali kweli?

KOBA:
ipo MAHAKAMA kwa wezi wa Kuku na Wamachinga wanaouza bidhaa katika maeneo yasiyoruhusiwa, Vibaka wa mitaani na Wanyonge wengine. Kwa kifupi WAJINGA NDIO WALIWAO/TULIWAO!!

L/F
No ONE is ignorant these m..... f.... b....ts KNOWS exactly what their doing!!! Its the big f.... CORRUPTION and nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom