CCM should read signs of time

Dingswayo

JF-Expert Member
May 26, 2009
I am astonished to see how my party is responding to the proposed government structure in the on-going debate in the Constituent Assembly. Time is changing and people's thinking likewise must change with it. Throughout history time has proven to be unkind to those who fail to change with it in a timely fashion.

Examples to attest to this fact are many and countless. The ruling Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) is blessed with so many talents among the youth and old alike, the likes of Judge Joseph Warioba must be counted as rare blessings to any political party.

To begin with, the cry for the new Constitution was not ours, it came from opposition parties. Thanks to the wisdom of the President, this cry was heard.

During initial discussions on the need for the new Constitution, which will emanate from people, some senior leaders in the country were opposed to this need, the then minister for Constitution and Legal Affairs Celina Kombani was quoted as saying there was no need for a new Constitution, we only need some minor amendments, she said. Attorney General Fredrick Werema was not very far from that standpoint. However, our President knew the danger, which was facing our country if those cries were not addressed properly. The President decided to go ahead in doing the right thing for his country disregarding the advice and/or sentiments of his senior advisors who saw nothing, but maintaining the status quo.

The President went into establishing a good composition of capable Tanzanians to collect views from citizens to form the best Constitutional Review Commission possible. This work was accomplished with an exceptional level of skill, commitment and love of the country.

I met with some of the members of this Commission in one of the districts as I was on my normal working rounds on the Mainland. I was so impressed with their work. They went up to ward level to collect views and ideas from people. This is the first time views are sought from the grassroots to inform the formation of their own Constitution.

To cut this long story short, their work was done well and it is backed by process, which is authentic in the eyes of science. When the first Draft Constitution came out, Tanzanians in their millions applauded Judge Warioba's Commission. I was among those who congratulated the Commission for their work and love of their country.
Any good Union must be formed under open agreement and thorough understanding and consideration of both parties' wants and wishes. Both parties must be free to express themselves.

However strong one partner may be, this process must be thoroughly observed, failure to these qualities will never result in a sustainable relationship between these two partners.

It is more obvious that our brothers and sisters in Zanzibar are not happy with our governing structure as it is now. They want to keep their own identity as Zanzibaris. I personally agree with them because short of that we on the Mainland will not be doing justice to our colleagues. We will be taking away their right to identify themselves as they wish.

This alone is enough for any sane mind to ask for a more detailed thought rather than just sticking to an old political stance even if it is proving to be a total failure. The urge for Tanganyikans to identify themselves as Tanganyikans was not as vigorous as it is to their colleagues in Zanzibar.
God bless Tanzania, God bless Africa!

This fact is big enough to allow for both parts to sit down and find the best way possible where all parts will be happy in the Union and all will feel respected as we move on with our Union. From the feedback we got from Warioba's Commission the majority of Zanzibaris prefer a contractual Union arrangement, which is more dangerous to the survival of the Union than a three-government structure. We all know that at this point in time our 50 years' history does not allow us to have one government.

We also know that a two-government structure has proven ineffective. We all know these facts and that is why we don't take time to discuss these two systems. The same wisdom and understanding must be used to agree on the three government structure.

From this short account it is obvious that CCM must learn to listen and understand people's views on how they wish to be governed. It is not the wish of one single political party to determine the fate and destiny of Tanzanians. If we in CCM did not see the importance of having a new Constitution why are we trying to be on the driving seat in this process?

If we in CCM don't want a three-government structure why don't we go with the contractual government structure as the majority of our colleagues in Zanzibar prefer? It is the maturity in wisdom, coupled with sound education background and courage to stand for the truth that the Warioba's Commission has backed up the formation of a three-government structure.

Let's not allow our short-lived ambitions blind us from seeing and supporting the survival of our country. Let the Zanzibaris enjoy their identity as they wish and let Tanganyikans resume their identity as well and let's meet at a higher level as Tanzanians without any of us losing our own historic identity. A Union is a good thing and most Tanzanians wish and want to keep it.

Time did not allow all Tanganyikans and/or Zanzibaris to give their opinion on how they wished to unite in the 1960s. Our fathers' views and opinion prevailed and we united. We are all proud of what they did and we will always cherish and sustain their good work to unite us, but we must do that intelligently by adopting to new times with new challenges. Short of this we may lead our country into unnecessary turmoil.

We can't resist change, we have time on our side, let's change with the times or else time will change us and when it changes us, we will have minimal control of its adverse consequences. Results from it will neither be good for the country nor for us as a political entity.

I really applaud President Kikwete's plea to CCM members to be psychologically prepared for the three-government structure because his matured wisdom serves him well and I am sure history will treat him well on this particular aspect.

My advice to my other elders in the party the likes of Kingunge, Ole Sendeka, Wassira and many others, let our good intentions for this country lead us. Let's save our tears for events, which indeed need our tears.

I was personally disturbed to hear that one of our strong members on one occasion Ole Sendeka broke into tears to support an undemocratic mechanism, which will prevent members from sharing their opinion in a democratic manner.
Indeed, our history will be sure to remember all similar incidences where a few individuals failed to listen to the wishes of the people.

A three-government structure at this point in time is inevitable. It will be achieved in an easy way or the hard way. The choice remains ours as a country.

CCM should read signs of time - News - thecitizen.co.tz

Back
Top Bottom