1st graduates from Oprah Winfrey's school in SA

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Oprah fete with first graduates of SA school

737450-01-02.jpg

US talk show queen and media mogul Oprah Winfrey (R) gestures upon arrival to meet with the first graduates of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, founded five years ago to turn a handful of impoverished girls into elite leaders, in Henley-on-Klip, on January 14, 2012. Founded in 2007 with $40 million from Winfrey, the school has faced criticism for focusing on a select few -- there are 72 girls in the first graduating class -- in a country that struggles to meet basic education needs.

By HENLEY-ON-KLIP
Posted Saturday, January 14 2012 at 17:16

US talk show queen Oprah Winfrey was in tears on Saturday as the first graduates of her South African girls' academy thanked her for her effort to turn a handful of impoverished girls into elite leaders.

Beaming, in a turquoise dress, with the 72 graduates sitting behind her in white, Winfrey, whose rise to stardom and an estimated fortune of $2.7 billion followed a deprived childhood in Mississippi, spoke of why she decided to open the school with a $40-million investment in 2007.

"I know that education is the door to freedom," she said.

"So I want to do that for girls who come from backgrounds like my own, who have disadvantaged circumstances but no disadvantaged attitudes or brainpower or spirit. I want to give them the chance that I was given."

Winfrey, 58, told the story of how she mentioned to Nelson Mandela over tea at his house one day that she was interested in building a girls' school in South Africa.

The country's first black president jumped up and immediately called then-education minister Kader Asmal, she said. By that evening Winfrey was in a planning meeting with him.

"I really thought one day I would build a school -- I didn't mean that day," she joked

Speaking at the idyllic campus of the school, the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls -- which boasts computer and science laboratories, a 600-seat theatre and a 10,000-volume library -- Winfrey defended the idea of investing lavishly in a small group of promising young women.

The school has faced criticism for focusing on a select few in a country that struggles to meet basic education needs.

"We are in the leadership building business. We are in the business of creating assets for girls so they don't have to just use their bodies but they go out into the world and use their minds," she said.

(AFP)

737442-01-02.jpg

US talk show queen and media mogul Oprah Winfrey (C) poses with the first graduates of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, founded five years ago to turn a handful of impoverished girls into elite leaders, in Henley-on-Klip, on January 14, 2012. Founded in 2007 with $40 million from Winfrey, the school has faced criticism for focusing on a select few -- there are 72 girls in the first graduating class -- in a country that struggles to meet basic education needs.

737457-01-02.jpg

US talk show queen and media mogul Oprah Winfrey (C) waves upon arrival to meet with the first graduates of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls on January 14, 2012. Behind her is wife to Nelson Mandela, Graca Machel.

737463-01-02.jpg

US talk show queen and media mogul Oprah Winfrey (C) arrives in a cart to meet with the first graduates of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls on January 14, 2012

734198-01-02.jpg

US talk show queen Oprah Winfrey (2ndR) chats with students of the first graduating class at her South African girls' academy on January 13, 2012 in Henley on Klip.​

'walking the talk at its best' - wengi wetu huwa tunaongea mipango mingiii but utekelezaji ni NIL

Hayo ndio mambo tunayoyataka sio bla bla zisizo na maana,tuige mifano hiyo jamani

Back
Top Bottom