<div id="article-header">
[h=1]Ten-man Chelsea beat Fulham in Carling Cup shoot-out[/h]
[h=2]Carling Cup 2011-12[/h]
- Jamie Jackson at Stamford Bridge
- guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 21 September 2011 22.34 BST Article history
Fulham's Swiss defender Philippe Senderos vies with Romelu Lukaku of Chelsea in a close-fought Carling Cup tie. Photograph: Ian Kington/AFP/Getty Images
André Villas-Boas's selection may suggest the Carling Cup is of minor importance but after his 10-man team won this entertaining tie on the penalty shoot-out, courtesy of Bryan Ruiz's missed fifth kick that smacked the crossbar and bounced close to the goalline, he will be content.
The 33-year-old knows that the greater his collection of silverware the more enhanced his prospects of stalling Roman Abramovich, the club's owner, from the moment that eventually comes to all Chelsea managers.
Regarding the result, the beaming Portuguese said: "I am very happy with the display. It was a super-human effort and very gratifying as Fulham just didn't lump it forward, and to be with 10 men for 70 minutes and to create the most and best chances is, for me, out of this world."
In a match that gradually caught fire Villa-Boas's team dominated as it moved into extra-time, but continued their frustrating dance of normal play when chances could not be finished. Then, after Frank Lampard and Moussa Dembélé had their penalties saved, the count finished at 4-3 to Chelsea, following Ruiz's skewed attempt, and despite the visitors' claim that this had crossed the line (it appeared not), Villas-Boas had a invaluable win.
This was achieved after Alex was sent off just after the break, when the Brazilian central defender was judged by Chris Foy to have fouled Kerim Frei, and Daniel Sturridge and Petr Cech were replaced because of injuries.
Regarding Alex, after the referee pointed to the spot and Pajtim Kasami crashed the first of the evening's penalties against Ross Turnbull's bar, Villas-Boas said: "He got a bit of the ball but most of the player," before giving the medical bulletin on Sturridge and Cech.
Sturridge, injured before the break after scoring a goal disallowed for offside, has a "strain in the knee ligaments but no pain", and could be available for selection on Saturday against Swansea. Cech, who brought back unwanted memories of the serious head injury he suffered when playing at Reading in October 2006, was taken off at half-time. "He went to the hospital for a scan and feels alright – he felt some dizziness but should be OK for Saturday," Villas-Boas said.
From the side that were beaten 3-1 at Manchester United on Sunday, the Portuguese had retained only Cech and Sturridge. Oriol Romeu, Romelu Lukaku and Ryan Bertrand were handed full debuts, with Cech asked to lead a team that had Lampard, John Terry, Didier Drogba and Juan Mata on the bench in case the tie veered off-message.
In the 18-year-old Lukaku Chelsea have acquired a 6ft 3in chunk of a young man who Villas-Boas admits is as an £18m "gamble". The hope is that he will show an ability to batter defences a la Drogba while powering home 15 to 20 league goals a season to continue the Ivorian's work when he finally leaves west London.
Lukaku suggested he can certainly do the first part with nonchalance in an appearance in which he barged over Matthew Briggs down the left, moved forward, then unloaded shot that Mark Schwarzer did well to save low down.
Preceding this had been a quiet opening in which the Belgian received scant service from colleagues who dominated but were only gradually stuttering into gear.
The first real opportunity fell to Florent Malouda, who surged from his midfield role into the area, where on controlling a high ball he fell to the grass under a challenge by Stephen Kelly, the visiting right-back. Foy, though, failed to be tempted by the Chelsea penalty claims.
After Cech did not emerge for the second half Turnbull was able to add a sixth Chelsea appearance to his CV, and the 26-year-old had barely drifted into position when he was welcomed to the game by having to face Kasami's penalty.
In his own weakened XI, Martin Jol selected Bobby Zamora, Steve Sidwell, John Arne Riise and Dembélé, of his usual starters, as replacements, probably minded that Europa League commitments mean there is only energy enough at the club for one cup run. And with Fulham third-bottom in the league, probably not even this.
The Dutchman introduced the first of these, Dembélé, on the hour, perhaps sensing that he might yet steal the win that would go down a treat with the Fulham support, from whom he requires goodwill.
He said: "A couple of months ago I didn't think a second XI could play a game like this." But Chelsea's second string still prevailed.
<div id="main-article-info">
<h1>Claudio Ranieri confirmed as new Internazionale coach</h1>
<p id="stand-first" class="stand-first-alone">• Former Chelsea manager vows to 'wake up' struggling Inter<br>• Gian Piero Gasperini sacked after three months in charge</p>
</div>
<ul id="content-actions" class="share-links"><li class="share-links">
<ul><li class="full-line tweet tweet_button">
<br></li><li class="third-party-tool full-line facebook">
<br></li><li class="third-party-tool last-line reddit">
<span class="reddit_button">
<a target="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2011%2Fsep%2F22%2Fclaudio-ranieri-two-year-internazionale&amp;title=" href="http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2011%2Fsep%2F22%2Fclaudio-ranieri-two-year-internazionale&title=">
<img src="http://static.guim.co.uk/static/32b9600ebe43926107624a816c7870f8566f154f/common/images/icon_reddit.gif">
</a>
<a target="http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2011%2Fsep%2F22%2Fclaudio-ranieri-two-year-internazionale&amp;title=" href="http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2011%2Fsep%2F22%2Fclaudio-ranieri-two-year-internazionale&title=">reddit this</a>
</span>
</li></ul>
</li></ul>
</div>
<div id="content">
<ul class="article-attributes b4"><li class="byline">
Press Association
</li><li class="publication">
<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/">guardian.co.uk</a>,
<time datetime="2011-09-22T09:33BST" pubdate="">Thursday 22 September 2011 09.33 BST
</time>
<li class="history"><a class="rollover history-link" id="history-link-byline" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/22/claudio-ranieri-two-year-internazionale#history-link-box">Article history</a></li></li><div id="article-wrapper">
<div id="main-content-picture">
<img src="http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/SPORT/Pix/pictures/2011/9/22/1316680338527/Claudio-Ranieri-007.jpg" alt="Claudio Ranieri" height="276" width="460">
<div class="caption">Claudio Ranieri has been confirmed as the new coach of Internazionale. Photograph: Scott Heavey/Getty Images</div>
</div>
<div id="article-body-blocks">
<p>Claudio Ranieri has been confirmed as the new coach of <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/internazionale" title="More from guardian.co.uk on Internazionale">Internazionale</a> and has vowed to "wake up the team".</p><p>The
former Valencia, Chelsea and Roma manager has signed a contract to June
2013 to replace Gian Piero Gasperini, who was sacked on Wednesday after
three months in charge.</p><p>Ranieri told Domenica Sportiva: "Inter
are a great team. They have had a bad start to the season and I will
have to talk to the team to understand why that was.</p><p>"I will have
to bring enthusiasm and a change of gear in order to wake up the team. I
cannot promise that we will win this or that but I believe this team
has a lot to give and we must prove it."</p><p>Tuesday's humiliating 3-1
defeat at newly promoted Novara – Inter's fourth defeat in five games –
proved to be Gasperini's final act in charge. But Ranieri praised
Gasperini's efforts despite his short tenure at the club.</p><p>"Gasperini
wanted to bring his ideas and make them work at all costs but he didn't
manage to do it," the 59-year-old said. "I will try to make this team
play as it knows how, with all of its strength.</p><p>"Gasperini didn't make a mistake and we have to say well done because he tried everything to make his ideas work."</p><p>Ranieri's
first game in charge will be at Bologna on Saturday before a trip to
Russia to face CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.</p><p>A statement
from Inter said: "All of Inter has the pleasure of welcoming Claudio
Ranieri and his staff. Ranieri will guide today's training session and
will be unveiled tomorrow to the press."</p><p>Ranieri had been out of a job since leaving Roma in February.</p>
</div>
</div></ul></div>