[h=1]Seven-goals-in-four-games Dzeko: I fear City axe[/h] Published
23:01 29/08/11 By David McDonnell
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...se-squad-is-now-so-strong-article793051.html#
Edin Dzeko has admitted Manchester City's star-studded squad is so formidable that his place in the team is not safe - despite his early-season goal-scoring heroics.
Dzeko bagged four goals in City's 5-1 thumping of Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Sunday, to take his tally for the season to seven in only four games.
After scoring in the Community Shield against Manchester United, Dzeko also netted against Swansea and Bolton, before his quadruple haul at White Hart Lane.
The £27million striker's form is such that he is keeping Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli out of City's first-team, but he reckons even he cannot be sure of his place because of the deep pool of quality at manager Roberto Mancini's disposal.
Asked if he felt he was now City's main striker after his superb start to the season, Dzeko said: "No-one is guaranteed a start - that is why we are so strong.
"We don't have only 11 good players, it's 22 - or even more.
"It was a fantastic feeling [to score four goals]. I feel very happy. We played like a team.
"To win 5-1 against Tottenham is unbelievable. To score four goals is amazing.
"I watched the 0-0 draw between Spurs and City last year. I was still in Germany [playing for Wolfsburg]. City had a lot of chances but this was different. We played amazingly. When you score five goals away - against a team like Tottenham - I think it's amazing.
"We can play even better and we want to improve every game, including myself."
After the blistering way in which he has begun the season, Dzeko already has a headstart on his rivals for the Premier League's golden boot - awarded to the leading scorer at the end of the campaign.
But the 25-year-old, who struggled to make an impact last season following his January move from Wolfsburg, said team success with City - who have their sights on the title - was his priority.
"Every striker dreams about the golden boot, but the first thing is for my team try to win every game," said Dzeko. "After that, if I am first [in the goalscoring stakes], we will see.
"We showed [against Spurs] how well we can play. People only speak about how much Manchester City spend. Of course, we have spent, but other teams have done so as well.
"When you play football like that, it's amazing and everyone wants to play."
City's newest recruit, £24m former Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri, played a key role in three of their goals against Spurs.
Dzeko paid tribute to the France international for the immediate impact he made following his protracted move.
"Samir showed that he will be fantastic for us," said the striker. "He's a great player - the first assist for me was amazing."
Dzeko also praised City boss Mancini for sticking with him after he initially struggled to adapt to the unique demands of the Premier League.
"The most important thing is for the coach and the players around you to believe in you," he said. "At the beginning it was hard for me. But I wanted a pre-season and everything, and now I know the Premier League much better. I feel much stronger and better than last season.
"From the beginning it felt right, because we won the FA Cup. It was amazing for me and the club."
Dzeko revealed he had his hat-trick ball signed by his team-mates and intends to send it back home to his family.
"I got the ball signed and I will send it home to Bosnia with my other things," said Dzeko. "This will be my first match-ball [for a hat-trick].
"I scored a hat-trick before, in Germany, but I don't know why I didn't take the ball."
Mancini tells rivals: Hands off my Johnson