To end poverty we must invest and encourage innovation

Masokotz

JF-Expert Member
Nov 26, 2018
Poverty in my opinion is lack of the ability to obtain the basic needs of life when we need them.It also lack of assurance or confidence of acquiring the basic needs of life in the near future.

In other words,You are still a poor man if your current income can not sustain you now and within the near future.This current income can include your own income as well as total household income.The near future is at least most six months.

The basic needs of life are food,shelter and clothing.

After the brief introduction I would like to highlight how innovation holds the key to fight poverty,especially inter generational poverty.For those not familiar with generational poverty is the situation whereby children are locked in a vicious cycle of poverty due to the poverty of their parents.The only way out of this cycle of poverty is through innovation.

What is innovation?I usually like top point out the meaning of innovation through these two statements; "You can not keep doing the same thing in the same way at the same place and expect different results" another statement that I love using to hint on the meaning of innovation is this "You cannot use the same level of thinking that caused a particular problem or situation to fix the same problems which resulted from the that level of thinking'

So basically innovation starts with a change of thinking followed by a change of how we do things.This applies from simple things as changing our attitudes and how we view things to changing our feelings towards ourselves and towards others.It can even involve change of behaviors,culture,tradition and beliefs.

Innovation can even start with adapting best practices from other successful individuals and communities but we must benchmark our approach based on our circumstances.

Education is a key driver of innovation not certificates,not degree,not qualifications but education at its core which is knowledge and skills transfer and acquisition.

As an individual you have to make it a lifelong goal to learn and gain as much knowledge as you can.You may need it or some else who does not have the same access as you may need it,in a form of advice or suggestion.

We cannot expect to have a proper war against poverty if we do not encourage innovation in our culture,if we do not reward innovators in our culture,if we do not appreciate those who try and fail and encourage those who fail to try.

Every day people start new business with very little innovation.According to my own statistics every year over 10,000 small business are started in Tanzania with a investment range of between 100,000 and 30,000,000 which means between 100,000,000 and 3,000,000,000,000,is invested in small billion every year and none of this businesses exist in the following year.Worse enough none of these business invest in innovation.

But that is not the key problem,The Key problem is that if this amount was channeled through proper business with proper model then the potential of these ventures would have grown by 30% every year and would have created over 10,000 new jobs every year and pay an average salary of 7,000,000 per year which is above the current average salary.

Simply put we have the financial and human resources to drive our economy forward but we lack the innovative capacity to transform our economy into a productive economy.

What can we as individuals,community and a nation do to drive innovation forward?

Lets talk via email:kizito(at)umojacolleges(dot)sc(dot)tz