Theft at Dar Airport last checkpoint. Be aware!

BigBros

JF-Expert Member
Feb 12, 2014
Theft at the FINAL Security Checkpoint in Dar Int'l Airport

I am writing this personal experience not to get any sympathy from the reader but to raise awareness to the public out there not to fall Victim as I have. I wouldn't want to see or read any of you getting the same or a similar experience because believe it or not if you are a mother travelling with little children you would surely understand the emotional turmoil your children would go through.
I was travelling on the 8th of Sept with my two children (6 and 1.5) heading back home from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania to the Arabian Gulf after having spent a one month vacation with my family. It was time to go back to school in our home residence.
I arrived at the Airport 15 minutes earlier then the scheduled reporting time to avoid the Dar traffic jam and road blocks to the Airport. Our check in at the counter went smoothly (I checked in online earlier the day before) so did the passport control at the immigrations. From here onwards, starts my unforgettable experience. If you havent traveled before from Dar Airport then be aware right after you pass the Immigration Passport Control there is a final Security Checkpoint up the stairs. There are two scanning machines of which only one operates and the que runs looong which creates chaos and frustration to the traveler. I wonder if they operate only one on purpose so that they can prey on victims. I placed my handbag and the baby's diaper bag on the tray to be scanned like any other traveler in front of me. It was quite a chaotic scene because there were over 15 passengers behind me in LINE all the way to the escalator waiting to pass the metal detector and more than 10 passengers in front of me who haven't cleared their luggage on the other side of the detector. So you can imagine the chaos of the lugagges ramming into each other. As I went through the metal detector, I was called aside for a physical check up. I could see my handbag from the corner of my eyes appearing after it has passed the scanning machine. After the checkup I collected my hand luggage and hand bag and left the station to the waiting lounge. A few minutes later I decided to get drinks for my girls as they got thirsty. At the cash register that is when I discovered my wallet was MISSING!!! How I don't know but I know for a FACT where and when.
I went back to the check point searching for my wallet but in vain couldn't find it. I asked to speak to the supervisor on duty then later to the Head of Security none at all where of any assistance. I demanded to see the Cctv camera but was denied access to it. The more I tried the more I felt helpless because they were plainly ignoring me. One security staff literally tore off a peice of paper and wrote my personal information incase they found my wallet to reach me by pretending he is following the necessary protocol. I knew it there and then with no doubt in my mind they all played together in this game. I was on my feet for 2 hours at the Checkpoint not wanting to leave till I get my wallet from whoever took it. 5 minutes before departure they finally said you can go downstairs and file a report with THE POLICE. I snapped back at them saying, "why should I file with the police when I know that the incident happened here at the security." The entire time they could see and hear my children crying of thirst and they did nothing not even offer to buy water because the only water bottle I had in the diaper bag they took it away as no liquid was allowed past the check point. I finally boarded the plane as I had no choice not wanting to miss the flight and depriving my oldest daughter to meet her dad. I was in transit in Dubai for 2 hours there I met a lady who was in the same flight as I was from Dar. She also complained she never got her watch back on the other side of the scanning machine after placing it in the tray to be scanned. What is the coincidence of two travellers missing their items in the same place on the same day at the same Airport? I am sure there are more out there that went through the same thing but didn't get a chance to file a report due to time constraints as they have to catch their flight to their final destination.
I am not going to give up even if it means there is a 1 percent chance of finding my wallet because than it will mean I have let those people defeat me and continue with their game of stealing from travellers.
I have no doubt in my mind that the theft took place right there and then. They took advantage of me being distracted by my children to carry out their act. I wish to all my fellow brothers and sisters to pay attention to your belonging going through these scanning machines because they have the habit of reversing the conveyor belt as well. And trust your instincts if you belive that it was stolen make a scene throw a fit and don't care who will say what. Tell them I know It was stolen here so you better take it out before I post it right now on Social Media. Today I had to go and get my daughter and myself new Id's which coasted us double the amount because it is considered a lost case. These people don't realize they make it difficult on others. But I pray Karma will return back on them. I wish you all a Safe and a Happy flight.

Pole sana. Thanks lord, at last you arrived safely to your expected destination.

Pole sana. But maybe just maybe you lost the wallet before reaching that checkpoint? Have you considered that possibility?

So SAD!, people dont know that an Airport is the Door of a Country!, its a big SHAME!!! for the country.

Had the same case though it was at the check-in desk, this August, they stole my brand new camera, which I was very careful that I will shift it to my hand luggage at the airport, but they manage to distract me and did their job. Though the airline will pay me, I wish if the security bosses could read this, because in developed countries if it happens even once, they will make sure they trace the person causing such an embarrassment to passengers, Imagine if you had your credit cards there and ID's? Our tourists need to have a different opinion than this. So sad!

Asante kwa taarifa na pole kwa yaliyokusibu
Ntatahadharisha na wengine yaani kwa hasira nimeshindwa kuimaliza lakini ntaisoma tena

Pole sana . Kwa sasa wizi Terminal Two umezidi. Wanaoingia wanainiwa na wanao safiri wanaibiwa.
Na ubaya hawataki kuonesha cctv camera hata kama ume file official complain.
Last dada tume msafirisha dada yetu kuelekea south.
Wamechana bag na kuiba baadhi ya vitu na perfum.
Ni Airport ya hovyo kabisa
Ni kama vile wana ambia fanyeni tu hamna kitu kitatokea.

At Johannesburg Airport -O.R Tambo International Airport, at one time they had a free wrapping service (zero) and the security guys would tell you please wrap it, its a free service. But now I am told they have started charging, I am not sure if the prices are the ones we see in other places or they still take it as a way to stop complaints.

Bora mlivyotolea ufafanuzi mzuri, na ndugu wamejiridhisha mwanzo mwisho. Ushauri wangu kwa muhusika fuata maelekezo na taratibu ulizopewa kupitia mamlaka husika, na pia kuviachia vyombo husika kuendelea na jalada mpaka mwisho. Usikimbilie kupaka matope kama huna uhakika. Mwisho pole sana kwa kupoteza wallet yako.

Back
Top Bottom