Research: Factors Affecting the Tanzania Poverty Rate

w0rM

May 3, 2011
Over the last decade, the Tanzania poverty rate has decreased to about 47 percent. Political stability, agricultural growth and increased access to education have all widely contributed to Tanzania’s victory in poverty reduction. Improving infrastructure, gender equality and employment are the keys to helping the remaining 2 million people still struggling on less than $0.60 a day.

Infrastructure
The 2015 World Bank Poverty Assessment showed a strong link between poverty and low access to public infrastructure. Tanzania’s infrastructure is limited, which leads to only 2.9 percent of poor people having access to grid power. Additionally, only 16 percent of the poor have access to paved roads. A further reduction in poverty and sustainable economic growth will require additional investments in transport and energy infrastructure.

Gender Equality
Even though the Tanzanian Constitution assures equal participation for women and men, discrepancies still exist. Disparity still exists in education, while women continue to face inequality in social, economic and political activities. Recently, The National Gender Development Policy and Strategy have set new targets within the constitution for gender equality. But to successfully achieve goals on the poverty reduction level, institutional support will be essential.

Employment
35 percent of people in Tanzania between 15 and 35 years of age are unemployed. Lack of basic skills, poor infrastructure and unavailable jobs are key contributors to youth unemployment. Addressing unemployment requires both supply and demand interventions. The enhancement of quality education will need to be available to even more people. Demand-side measures will have to provide advanced solutions in finance, infrastructure deficiencies and business support services.

Despite these issues, the Tanzania poverty rate has seen tremendous improvements. Tanzania deserves credit for its reduction of child mortality, a decrease in the incidence of HIV/AIDS and a significant drop in food insecurity. As for the areas that still need work, the country has partnered with the African Development Bank to achieve even more progress in poverty reduction.

Emilee Wessel

Good balanced article. what is your source bro? It is good practise / courtesy to say and provide a link where is the origin of the story.

Yes we got to improve in terms of employment opportunities to young people, improve education systems from primary school to University make it fit for purpose, improve infrastructures like roads, electricity, water, railways, internet, housing etc.

On the other hand the report say we have done well to reduce incidence of HIV, food shortage child mortality rate.

We need to do better, we can do better, we must do better.

Inasmuch unemployment rate is excessive (35% if the research is correct), let it be clear in our mind that in Tanzania (different from other African nations and probably the world at large) land accessibility is easy for every native to possess and of which I believe is a major employer.
The major problem is lack of readiness by youths to realize how potential land is and therefore utilize it effectively though at some point and time, capital for effective farming could be a huddle. And this is where, I think, the government and other supporting institutions need to chip in.
Likewise, good policies and security stability need to be adhered to in any society's prosperity. We need to be more focused on hard work to move from where we are to a more advanced nation. We need to use our time cohesively in building our nation instead of wasting it on politics-tag-of war!
Digest and cheers!

Lack of readiness!! people have to work hard?? I think this is a poor mentality of this magufuli era thinking Tanzanians don't like work or they aren't ready to utilize maximumly the natural resources that our country entails

I strongly disagree due to the fact that in all sectors of the economy thr is minimal govt intervention let it be agriculture as we have witnessed the incidences whereby farmers fail to get reliable market for their products also lacking support to add value to their products to facilitate exportation now how on earth is the blame to the youths???

yes your idea is nice that land can bring abt change in our country in terms of agriculture development however you know very well that owning a farm and developing it is not something of 1 or 2 days it requires a strong capital, pharmaceuticals , manpower both skilled and unskilled, time , management among others which most youth fail to raise the capital required to facilitate this especially operational costs so how on earth do u expect a nation whereby 70% of population cannot afford 3 meals a day to raise the capital for the youths???

I dont think this mentality will help rather than demoralise the youths who try so hard to reach thr goals but lack support for example musicians and bongo movie industry have lamented about piracy which deprives them from reaping thr success as far as desired income is concerned but what has the government done?? nothing but compare to Nigeria govt intervened and now music and movies has employed enough youth hence to some extent reduced unemployment among youths

so my brother change that mentality of blaming youth and encouraging hard work as if people have not been working for years!! becoz if its a agriculture where is kilimo kwanza where is BRN ??? its about time we face realities that the government is not doing enough for example the budget for ministry of agriculture has been lowered rather than increase!!! irrigation same thing!! water same thing and you expect them to do miracles in agriculture such that it can attract youth to work there ??

please rethink about your stand to blame youths though I like ur idea about agriculture indeed ur a great thibker

Inasmuch unemployment rate is excessive (35% if the research is correct), let it be clear in our mind that in Tanzania (different from other African nations and probably the world at large) land accessibility is easy for every native to possess and of which I believe is a major employer.
The major problem is lack of readiness by youths to realize how potential land is and therefore utilize it effectively though at some point and time, capital for effective farming could be a huddle. And this is where, I think, the government and other supporting institutions need to chip in.
Likewise, good policies and security stability need to be adhered to in any society's prosperity. We need to be more focused on hard work to move from where we are to a more advanced nation. We need to use our time cohesively in building our nation instead of wasting it on politics-tag-of war!
Digest and cheers!

Lack of readiness!! people have to work hard?? I think this is a poor mentality of this magufuli era thinking Tanzanians don't like work or they aren't ready to utilize maximumly the natural resources that our country entails

I strongly disagree due to the fact that in all sectors of the economy thr is minimal govt intervention let it be agriculture as we have witnessed the incidences whereby farmers fail to get reliable market for their products also lacking support to add value to their products to facilitate exportation now how on earth is the blame to the youths???

yes your idea is nice that land can bring abt change in our country in terms of agriculture development however you know very well that owning a farm and developing it is not something of 1 or 2 days it requires a strong capital, pharmaceuticals , manpower both skilled and unskilled, time , management among others which most youth fail to raise the capital required to facilitate this especially operational costs so how on earth do u expect a nation whereby 70% of population cannot afford 3 meals a day to raise the capital for the youths???

I dont think this mentality will help rather than demoralise the youths who try so hard to reach thr goals but lack support for example musicians and bongo movie industry have lamented about piracy which deprives them from reaping thr success as far as desired income is concerned but what has the government done?? nothing but compare to Nigeria govt intervened and now music and movies has employed enough youth hence to some extent reduced unemployment among youths

so my brother change that mentality of blaming youth and encouraging hard work as if people have not been working for years!! becoz if its a agriculture where is kilimo kwanza where is BRN ??? its about time we face realities that the government is not doing enough for example the budget for ministry of agriculture has been lowered rather than increase!!! irrigation same thing!! water same thing and you expect them to do miracles in agriculture such that it can attract youth to work there ??

please rethink about your stand to blame youths though I like ur idea about agriculture indeed ur a great thibker
If you could have read me right, you would have realized that we are talking the same thing though in a different way! On the contrary, the country has been struggling in walking on its road map to success due to lack of enthusiasm and integrity from the key overseers. Otherwise, our country is potential to greater achievements than anticipated! What is mostly needed is innovation (availing opportunities), working hard, access to financial support, entrepreneurship know-how, integrity and ethically aligned!

Over the last decade, the Tanzania poverty rate has decreased to about 47 percent. Political stability, agricultural growth and increased access to education have all widely contributed to Tanzania’s victory in poverty reduction. Improving infrastructure, gender equality and employment are the keys to helping the remaining 2 million people still struggling on less than $0.60 a day.

Infrastructure
The 2015 World Bank Poverty Assessment showed a strong link between poverty and low access to public infrastructure. Tanzania’s infrastructure is limited, which leads to only 2.9 percent of poor people having access to grid power. Additionally, only 16 percent of the poor have access to paved roads. A further reduction in poverty and sustainable economic growth will require additional investments in transport and energy infrastructure.

Gender Equality
Even though the Tanzanian Constitution assures equal participation for women and men, discrepancies still exist. Disparity still exists in education, while women continue to face inequality in social, economic and political activities. Recently, The National Gender Development Policy and Strategy have set new targets within the constitution for gender equality. But to successfully achieve goals on the poverty reduction level, institutional support will be essential.

Employment
35 percent of people in Tanzania between 15 and 35 years of age are unemployed. Lack of basic skills, poor infrastructure and unavailable jobs are key contributors to youth unemployment. Addressing unemployment requires both supply and demand interventions. The enhancement of quality education will need to be available to even more people. Demand-side measures will have to provide advanced solutions in finance, infrastructure deficiencies and business support services.

Despite these issues, the Tanzania poverty rate has seen tremendous improvements. Tanzania deserves credit for its reduction of child mortality, a decrease in the incidence of HIV/AIDS and a significant drop in food insecurity. As for the areas that still need work, the country has partnered with the African Development Bank to achieve even more progress in poverty reduction.

Emilee Wessel
However much effort we put in Poverty alleviation, poverty will continue to prevail if we continue to turn blind eyes to the exorbitant / overwhelming reproduction rate!

Back
Top Bottom