Disciple

Sosoma Jr

JF-Expert Member
Aug 7, 2020
D I S C I P L E.
"And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, " All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:18-20.

Heat waves shimmered. Dust swirled in the searing winds. This was a place of death. Philip reviewed the angel's instructions to walk the desert road. Why would God send him to such a desolate place?

As Philip rounded a large outcropping of bare rock, the winds died down. His vision cleared. He involuntarily jumped as he heard hoof beats; a chariot was approaching. Who, in his right mind, would choose to come here?

Two fine Arabian horses pulled a richly ornamented chariot. Seated in the chariot was an official from the court of Candace. Queen of all Ethiopia, returning from worshiping God in Jerusalem. The Spirit of God whispered to Philip, "Go up and join this chariot."

Philip ran over to the chariot, amazed to hear the official reading from Isaiah. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Phillip asked. The official wrinkled his forehead, "Well how could I, unless someone guides me?" He invited Philip to come up and join him.

Grateful for the unexpected opportunity, Philip explained the very prophecy that had puzzled the official, telling him all about Jesus. Side by side, studying the Scriptures, the two became brothers in faith.

As they continued along the way, they came to some water. The official exclaimed. "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?" Philip smiling, assured him that he could be baptized if he fully believed. Earnestly, the Ethiopian cried out, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

The chariot lurched to a stop. The two jumped out and waded into the water, where Philip immersed him as a symbol of burying his old ways and committing to new life in Jesus. The two men parted company and the Ethiopian headed home praising God with a loud voice a new disciple in an unlikely place!

MENTORING MOMENTS.
1. Who has mentored you to do something that has added value to your life?

2. Read Matthew 28:18-20. What did Jesus challenge His disciples to do? What authority does Jesus claim to possess? What promise did He give for those who make disciples for Him?

3. Read Acts 8:26-40. List your discoveries about how to make a disciple of Jesus after studying Philip's example.

4. How do you disciple someone for Jesus?

(a). Pray about who God wants you to disciple.

(b). Go into the world. Do not wait for them to come to you. Make friends with them. Discover their interests as well as their needs. Philip discovered that the Ethiopian was frustrated by not understanding the true meaning of a prophecy concerning Jesus. Philip sat beside him and answered the questions the official was already asking.

(c). Offer to come each week and explore the Bible together to discover all the good news about Jesus. Pray for them every day.

(d). Model a truth that God has taught you.

(e). Teach this truth from the Scriptures.

Before you teach a new truth, ask the person what they did with what you taught them last time.

(f). Invite the person to practice it.

(g). Challenge them to teach someone else with what you gave to them.

(h). Ask them how their discipling went the next time you see them.

5. What if you intentionally discipled every person you met each day who was open to Jesus? List the people in your circle of influence who do not know Jesus and the new life He brings.

Circle of Influence:
(a).............
(b).............
(c).............

6. Beside each name, list their interests and needs right now in their life. Ask God to guide you in how you could come beside them and bless them with one of their needs. Try it!