CA members up in arms over per diem

Inevitable

Apr 27, 2012
Members of the Constituent Assembly (CA) have complained over the delay of their allowances, saying they have not been paid per diem for 10 days.

They said their stay in Dodoma has been made difficult for the said days and that there was no communication between the CA administration and members on the matter.

However, the members who wanted their names to remain anonymous said the CA had paid the sitting allowances until August 22, 2014.

When reached for comment, the CA clerk, Mr Yahaya Khamis Hamad, confirmed that the members have not been paid per diem since August 16, 2014 and that his office was working on the matter.

He said his office had received the information that the treasury deposited the money in the CA accounts yesterday and probably members would have been paid from yesterday.

"It is true that CA members have not been paid since August 16, but as we are talking, I have been informed that the money has been deposited in our account. We will make arrangements and pay members today," he said.

Commenting on the delay, the CA clerk said his office approved the amount a long time ago and that he was not aware of what happened in the process.

"I approved the payment earlier, and the money was supposed to be paid on time...so far I don't know what the problem was," he said.

However, some CA members who spoke to reporters said there were rumours that the treasury was reluctant to release the cash on the grounds that it was not sure if the CA would proceed to the end.

The CA members receive Sh70,000 as sitting allowance per person and Sh230,000 as per-diem. The payments are being made on a weekly basis.

But the clerk said because of the delay, this time around, the members would receive two weeks' payments.

"I have, therefore, ordered the accounts office to pay the members from August 16 to August 31, 2014. This is because we delayed to pay them on time," said Mr Hamad.

The clerk said his office decided to pay them every week in order to avoid absenteeism and maintain active participation among members.

Source:The citizen

http://www.thecitizen.co.tz/News/CA...840392/2430870/-/item/1/-/5lu5u7/-/index.html

Ha ha ha,These people are after money! What else can they do...

Exactly!! They are acting like they entirely rely on the allowances to get by. This doesn't exactly scream 'patriotism'. We should remind them that teachers often go for more than 30 days without getting their meagre salaries!

Back
Top Bottom