Being a teacher And What You Have To Do

motonkafu

JF-Expert Member
Dec 2, 2015
Artistically, teaching is a job of laughing with children, playing with pupils, and arguing with students. One can ask; 'playing with children??? What if your class has also old people? I can answer that students learn like children, then if you want to be a teacher prepare your mind to face childish, so the big thing to do is to do not panic.

Being a teacher is being a parent, a guider and an advisor. Do not ask me; 'being a parent? I do not have a kids! And I remind you, your kids is your students. Another will still ask; 'a guide? I do not teach tourists! And I say that you are guider because you guide students. Being a guider is like being a driver, your bus is your class, students are passengers, make sure the reach where they are going. Nice trip Sir/Madam. Another will daught;'an advisor? Am not a psychologist! And I ask you too, 'did not you learn psychology in your college? If yes be good to apply it in your teaching duties. There are several things teachers can do so as to balance their work with environment plus what they perceive about teaching.

First acknowledge yourself, your position, your responsibilities. Go to school early, teach, guide, advise, when school time ends go home and rest. Rest does not mean sleeping all time, watching movies, not that. You can have some simple activities around which can help you to boost your economy. Works like gardening, shopkeeping, keeping animals like goats, cows, hogs, chickens, ducks, not so bad but do not keeps snakes, rats, owls because these are not friendly animals.

Do not stratify yourself against fellow workers, avoid alienating yourself from the society, escape unnecessary competition with others. Do not think your the best than the rest. Try to create conducive environment by helping fellows, listening others advise and considering others feelings, attitudes when arguing.

Put in mind that teaching has limits, in terms of subjects, responsibilities and time. Try to cool yourself by following the limitations of your work. Some teachers keeps giving instructions even when they are at homes, streets, worship houses, and other places outside the school environment. And people murmur; 'yeah you know that man/woman? He/she is a teacher'. Another replies; 'oh i see how he/she gives instructions'. Damn! Teachers limit yourselves.

Mind your language use. Do not think teaching is just knowing to speak English so that in order to show off yourself is to add some English words even is Kiswahili conversation, go to hell. Being educated means your ability to solve problems, overcome challenges even if they are not addressed in English language.

Stop blaming everything; low salaries, lack of teaching materials, poor environment, no motivation. Relax!! That why you are called a teacher, teaching means also to handle difficulties. Do not stay still and blame the government about low salary, if you come into this profession just for salary, know you are not a teacher but you are trader so kindly why do you not open up a shop so that you can earn more than your salary?

Someone is calling from back bencher: ' teacher what about dressing code?' Mmh... about dresses I do not know how others think about it, although it is important to appear presentable to students i think it is important to consider the environment, distance where the schools are located. In town i have no problem teachers can wear suits, nice dresses, good trousers but i has a daught with those who ride on bodaboda 20 kilometers to reach the schools, they also have to wear suits? I am sure that suits will torn into pieces as that hero teacher crosses the bushes, valleys, climbing hills and sloping steeps to school. In the way to school, this soldier teacher meets hyenas, tigers, lions, elephants, foxes, pythons and terrorists, does he/she still have to wear a suit why not he/she given a combat, boots and gun to arm him/herself because the environment and distance make him/her not teacher any longer but a war soldier who has to fight hyenas in a way to school. When we talk about dressing code we must consider the reality of environment where teachers lives.

But I do not support wearing min skirts, shorts, clothes which tight bodies plus wearing trousers half buttocks/mlegezo and wearing short skirts because short skirts are very prone to sexual desires.

This article is all about teaching ourselves the life of teaching, and why we should like this job, so at the end we can at least we can relax ourselves we know we have so much to endure to put up with this work. Pull up your socks, let us go teachers.

Contact the writer through inbox.

Back
Top Bottom