Roulette and Makedha: French for begginers

Tu me manques cherie.

Yesterday i had a chat with my ex girl..she Burundian..she was so happy when i sent her this: Jaime le francais and J'aimerais apprendre a parle francais..lol!
So i started telling her what was in lessons A and B..and she made some corrections..Je taime your classes..
That i shud say, "J'ai vingt cinq ans. Je suis un homme avec une femme."
Hehe looking forward to learn more stuff...she wanted me to buy a dictiionary so that i could reduce the number of questions i kip asking her..
She taught me:
for - pour
of - de
with - avec
what - ques
Bravo. As you can see from my first post, I encourage people to have alternative methods of learning. Having a partner to practice french with is probably the easiest (and most pleasurable) way of learning french. these lessons are supposed to only help you keep the interest alive while you are at JF.
Nimeona huko nyuma nilivokua na bidii... itabidi nirudi, but not before September. In the mean time kuna mtu humu najaribu kumvuta aendeleze hizi class, mi nikae frech playground peke yake.

Jamaniiiii mpaka September kwaiyo ntaishia kwenye introduction tu mimi!??? sad sad...huyu kaniambia ninunue dictionary kabla aendelee kunifundisha..wote mnaniacha na mkasi tumboni....nitaponaje mm!???:sad:

Bonjour, je ma'appele Mwanahisa.
Mwanafunzi mtiifu kwa mwalimu Mrusi (Roulette) anaefundisha Kifaransa. Kitaeleweka tu.

Update:
Dear members, Makedha has generously proposed precious assistance to continue these lessons where we left them. I will work with him from the background. Makedha is taking over the lessons from here. I will assist him in this thread but will be more active in the French Playground where we do our chit chat in French! Bienvenue Makedha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonjour a tous
je m'appele 999
J'habite en Dar es salaam
Je suis celibataire
J'ai xx ans.
Et alors, vous? vos histiors?

c'est bien,super teacher
kusema ukweli niazie na jinsi ya kuviweka ivi vimikato juu ya herufi kweli sijui pa kugongea
au revoir

Bonjour à tous! Ça fait un moment, mais j'espère que vous êtes toujours aussi motivés à apprendre.
= Hello everyone, it's been a while, but I hope you're still motivated to learn.

In this fourth French lesson, you will be taught about objects that are usually encountered in an office. The following vocabulary list contains the most common ones :

- Un bureau [un buro]: a desk
- Un papier [un papye]: a paper
- Un perforateur [un perforateur]: a perforator
- Un trombone [un trombon]: a paperclip
- Un stylo [un stilo]: a pen
- Un crayon [un kreyon]: a pencil
- Un ciseau [un sizo]: a pair of scissors
- Un ordinateur [un ordinateur]: a computer
- Un clavier [un klavye]: a keyboard
- Une farde [une fard]: a binder
- Une agrafeuse [une agrafeuz]: a stapler
- Une agrafe [une agraf]: a staple
- Une gomme [une gom]: an eraser
- Une calculatrice [une kalkulatris]: a calculator
- Une règle [une regle]: a ruler
- Une souris [une suri]: a mouse
- Une imprimante [une inprimant]: a printer

Notes :

- The underlined letters represent sounds that aren’t used in Swahili, but, as pointed out in lesson Introduction (A), “un” resembles “en” and “une” resembles “in”.
- The word « bureau » can mean both « desk » and « office ».

Grammar :

In French, a word always belongs to one of the two genders there are, namely the feminine and masculine gender.
In most cases, it is not possible to know for sure what the gender of a word is just by looking at the word itself, you will thus usually have to study the gender of a word by heart.
But that is only in most cases. Sometimes, the word contains some indications that make it easier to guess the gender. There are many of such indications and so they will be introduced little by little in later lessons. Here are a few:

Words that end with these letters are usually feminineWords that end with these letters are usually masculine
trice
euse
(ex.: une calculatrice)
(ex.: une agrafeuse)
teur
eur
(ex.: un perforateur)
(ex.: le bonheur [le boneur]: the happiness)
elle(ex.: une querelle [une kerel]: a quarrel)eau(ex.: un bureau)

All feminine words are marked by the article “une” and all masculine words by the article “un” when in the singular indefinite form. (ex.: un perforateur: a perforator, une farde: a binder)

In the singular definite form, all feminine words are marked by the article “la” [la] and all masculine words by the article “le” [le]. (ex.: le bureau: the desk, la farde: the binder)
Note: if a noun in its singular definite form begins with a vowel, la & le become l’ (ex.: le bureau: the desk BUT ordinateur: the computer)

In the plural indefinite form, no distinction is made between the two genders, both feminine and masculine words are accompanied by the article “des” [de (the s at the end is silent)]:. (ex.: des perforateurs: perforators, des fardes: binders)

No distinction is made between the two genders in the plural definite form either, nouns then carry the article “les” [le (the s at the end is silent)]. (ex.: les perforateurs: the perforators, les fardes: the binders)

Definite articleIndefinite article
Plural formSingular formPlural formSingular form
Feminine wordMasculine wordFeminine wordMasculine wordFeminine wordMasculine wordFeminine wordMasculine word
Type of letter it starts withConsonantVowelConsonantVowel
Article that has to be usedLesLesLaLeDesDesUneUn

As you have probably noticed, a letter s has been added at the end of the nouns when put in the plural form.
That is because, in most cases, adding an s to the end of a singular word in French turns it into a plural. But, just like in Swahili, there are different ways to form the plural of a word in French and the type of plural form we choose depends on the type of word we are dealing with.

Example:

Un stylo => des stylos : a pen => pens
Un hospital => des hopitaux: a hospital => hospitals

With the latter being an example of the grammatical rule Roulette has introduced in the previous lesson: “Any french word ending in -al will turn in -aux when in plural (with some exceptions)”

Sentences:

Je cherche l’agrafeuse [je shershe lagrafeuz]: I am looking for the stapler
J’ai cinq trombones [jai sink trombon]: I have five paperclips
J’utilise des crayons [jutiliz de kreyon]: I use pencils
Elle a les papiers [e​l a le papye]: She has the papers

Cela dit, n'oubliez pas que vous pouvez vous entraîner au playground! (Hear the pronunciation)
= with that being said, don't forget you can practice at the playground!

Bonsoir! Je m'apelle le gagnant, je vais participer.

Bien! Il y a toujours de la place pour de nouveaux élèves. ;)
Et vu comment toute l'activité dans ce fil de discussion s'est éteinte, j'ai l'impression que les gens ont oubliés cela. Où êtes-vous donc tous? :O

Translation:

Good! There's always space for new students. ;)
And seeing from how all the activity in this thread has died down, I'm under the impression that people have forgotten this. Where are you all? :O

Merci Roulette pour amener ces leçons, je ne suis pas un expert, mais j'espère rattraper les leçons précédentes .... par la façon dont j'ai utilisé google translator pour écrire tout cela...........Avant que j'oublie, mon nom est Snochet, je suis très heureux d'être ici.

Merci Roulette pour amener ces leçons, je ne suis pas un expert, mais j'espère rattraper les leçons précédentes .... par la façon dont j'ai utilisé google translator pour écrire tout cela...........Avant que j'oublie, mon nom est Snochet, je suis très heureux d'être ici.

Hi Snochet, we try, as much as we can to avoid google translation, unless it is for checking the pronunciation of a word. Do me a favor, go to the first and second lesson, learn to introduce yourself and then comeback to us.

ah google weee you made my life sasa naweza mtokea hata mtoto wa kispain kupitia google tanslator, kimbembe ikija kwenye skype call. Hapo itakua lugha gonganaaa :A S 100:

Mkuu Roulette,
Hii kitu inahitaji utulivu, wengine hatuna ABC zozote kuhusu hiyo "fifth language," kwa hiyo tutaanzia na zero! I will however, join this "class" sooner or later!!

Mkuu Roulette,
Hii kitu inahitaji utulivu, wengine hatuna ABC zozote kuhusu hiyo "fifth language," kwa hiyo tutaanzia na zero! I will however, join this "class" sooner or later!!

Kwa kweli mkuu wangu ukisoma post zote kuanzia mwanzo I am sure utaweza kusoma, kuandika na kutamka French at least hadi hapo tulipo fikia. It will take few minutes (use the table of content in the first post to jump staight to lesson and avoid wachakachuaji)

Roulette Mbona hukunishtua somo limeendelea!?? makendha ntaanza somo officially this evening after office hrs...looking forward to it!
Good morning!

Bonjour, je m'appelle Michelle....Appreciated for this RR...am excited and so determined to learn.....!!

Nipange dawati moja na Ashadii....lol

salut, je ne parle pas francais, naaza kufatilia hili darasa la makedha mana...!

Back
Top Bottom