Roulette and Makedha: French for begginers

Roulette

JF-Expert Member
Dec 15, 2010
Hi all,

Some members have expressed their interest in learning French. Inspired by Faiza Foxy interactive Arabic class and encouraged by AshaDii, Mtambuzi, Azimio Jipya and other members, I said to my self: why not?

French shares some similarity with English in many regards but one of the main difference lies in the pronunciation. To overcome this challenge I encourage whoever is interested to register for free at Livemocha. It provides pictures and sounds for a complete lesson.
I will try to post two or three lessons per week and respond to some questions.

As much as I want this to be a fun and enjoyable experience, please let's stay focus and avoid our usual distractions. This is not Chit Chat.

The teaching language will be English and Swahili, but as time goes I will progressively switch to French so that new members will have to go through the old lessons first. We would not want them to ask questions that have already been addressed, would we?

There will be some didactic pictures as well, and a lot of links to Google translate.

I believe 100 lessons should be enough for a beginner's level, I will update the curriculum progressively

Lesson One to Ten:
  1. Introduction (A)
  2. Introduction (B)
  3. Numbers (A: Cardinal)
  4. Usual objects in the office
  5. Numbers (B: Ordinal)
  6. Family members and pets
  7. Verbs for "survivors"
  8. Professions
  9. Places
  10. Parts of the body
  11. A French poem
  12. Recap of lesson One to Ten
I will link each lesson to its post so that members can jump to the lesson just by clicking it, as I believe there will be a lot of post in between lessons. For french chit chat, please visit the french playground
Que la fete commence! (listen to it on Google Translate)

Update:
Dear members, Makedha has generously proposed precious assistance to continue these lessons where we left them. I will work with him from the background. Makedha is taking over the lessons from here. I will assist him in this thread but will be more active in the French Playground where we do our chit chat in French! Bienvenue Makedha!

This is not an introductory note for the french lessons, (please refer to post #1 for this).
The goal of this lesson is to learn how to introduce yourself, kwa kiswahili tunasema kujitambulisha. So whenever you join, if it is your first post in this thread, please say:
Bonjour, je m'appelle ... (Hello, my name is...)
As you can see, you can click on the sentence and get to the Google Translate page to hear the pronunciation. I will do this all the time to make sure that you can pronounce it right.
For those of us who (for a reason or another) cannot go to Google translate, I will try and give an approximate pronunciation in Swahili (not phonetics because this in itself is a lesson).
Bon-jur
Hiyo ON ni kama ile ya hONg kONg
Kumbuka, kila utakapo ona O na U, tamka U.
Mfano: Pou inatamkwa pu (chawa)
For now, I would not want to confuse you with the exact pronunciation of 'r' in french, this will be the object of a whole lesson (specific french pronounciations like r, eur, u, ai, ou, etc)
To close this lesson, I will introduce myself in french:
Bonjour, je m'appelle La Roulette Russe
I will welcome few questions on this lesson as well as the methodology before we can move to lesson two.
Merci (thank you)

Il a été un moment depuis que j'ai appris le français, quand j'étais à l'école mais au moins je me souviens encore de ce toi que je n'ai pas souvent quelqu'un à qui parler.

Bonjour! Moi je m’appelle Rubi! je suis heureuse de prendre cette langue. mais comment on va fait pour nous corrigions et donne le exercice!

Russian Roulette, merci beaucoup pour cette excellente idée! Je me présente SMU.

Bonjour! Moi je m'appelle Rubi! je suis heureuse de prendre cette langue. mais comment on va fait pour nous corrigions et donne le exercice!
Rubi you want to know about the exercises right?
I will post a quiz and later a 'corigé', which is the way you should have answered. Each student will mark his paper at home.

• Thanks
Reactions: SMU
Il a étéun moment depuis quej'ai appris le français, quandj'étais à l'écolemais au moins jeme souviens encore dece toique jen'ai pas souventquelqu'un à qui parler.
There are more than one member in your situation: they learned french but because they couldn't find anyone to practice with they lost their fluency. What I will do is to start a 'french playground' where all members needing practice will go for a french chit chat. :)

Vous etes malade?......oh la la....
Que est que il ya.....?
Roulette me ayude en la bleu svp....

Hahahaha, umenichekesha kweli... me ayude en la bleu? lol we mspanish, pelekwa jukwaa la The Finest. lol
Mbona umeandika sawa tu? sema unge ongeza ce na ukachanisha Y na A, basi. Au ungeuliza nilivo uliza mimi: qu'est-ce que tu as?

Back
Top Bottom