Law, engineering top Makerere cut-offs

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
Richard Wanambwa & Jenny Vaughan
Kampala

Bachelor of Laws and Electrical Engineering are the two courses with the stiffest cut-off points in the next academic year.
Makerere University’s Admissions Board released the cut-off points for the 2009/2010 private admissions yesterday. There were several changes to the number of points required to join various courses.

Bachelor of Laws remains the toughest arts course to join, with the cut off points raised from 52.5 last year to 53.4 for day scholars, while evening scholars need 50 points to make it to the 87-year old institution. Electrical Engineering remains the most competitive science course, calling for 46.8 points to join the day programme and 40.8 for the afternoon class.

Medicine and surgery is not far behind, with 41.3 points needed to gain entry into the course. Last year, 45 points were required to join Engineering while one needed 44.6 points to do Medicine. Bachelor of Science in Telecommunication Engineering is the second most competitive science course, requiring 46.6 points, up from 43.8 points last year.
There was also a hike in the points needed to study a Bachelor of Architecture degree, from 42.6 last year to 45.8. Bachelor of Procurement and Supply Chain Management (Day) is the second most competitive arts course, requiring 49.2 points to gain entry.

Every year, students eagerly await the cut-off list from the university to find out what programme they have been admitted into, which ultimately determines the careers they will pursue. Most take what is offered to them.

Ms Vanessa Owere (not real name), would like to do Secretarial Studies but instead she put Adult and Community Education at the top of her list. “I was considering my points,” she remarks. “That’s one course I could easily get into.”

Wapya hao wanatia tim. Hongereni sana campusers. Hivi Campus Night(J.Nne?) bado ipo pale club anjenoir/angemistic? Hizo high cut off points zisiishie huko,mkifika kule pigeni shule. Hasa wale wa hostel za akamwesi. The Dag wao hawana shida kabisa na mambo haya,wameshazowea sana kujivinjari club five na kurudi shuleni mapema.