Labels: Is it out of ignorance?

Na wa-Beijing ni watu gani?

Hiki ni kichekesho kingine Ndugu yangu Za10.
Ni neno linalotumika kuwaita wanawake..kufuatia ule mkutano wa UN wa wanawake uliofanyika Beijing China 1995.
Sijui kwanini wanamazingira nao hawaitwi Wa-Rio kufuatia ule Mkutano wa UN wa mazingira uliofanyika Rio De Janeiro!

Mwambie wewe bana...the guy is too long winded. He kinda reminds me of JMushi1....

Maybe he's writing his thesis..... expecting everyone is a lecturer!!!!! is that so mwana Fa au bado upoupo?

......Dad:p

Now you are talking Mkuu,
This is what this feminism thing is all about.Like I had said before ,radical feminism is some form of fundamentalim - an extreme which may not sit well with what most people, including me, believe in.
Pls continue kutoa darasa hadi kieleweke.

WoS....Once upon a time Blu-ray said something about reading between the lines!!!!! My lovely sister just read between the lines

Blu-ray is a modified version of a pundit!! BTW, that doesnt mean pundit is Blu-ray though

Check...check....check yooo

...........Dad:confused:

WoS....Once upon a time Blu-ray said something about reading between the lines!!!!! My lovely sister just read between the lines

Blu-ray is a modified version of a pundit!! BTW, that doesnt mean pundit is Blu-ray though

Im totally lost ndugu!

Bluray=Kiranga=Pundit=Critic

Mkuu,
Thanks for highlighting on some of the petinent issues regarding the confusion and the understanding of who feminists are.I appreciate your understanding of the issues, however in order to have a wider participation, I would like us to bring the discussion to a very lower level as opposed to an intellectual discussion.
For a starter, I would appreciate if you could elucidate on what u mean by "being comfortable with men"?

Being comfortable with men is just that, real feminist realize that men and women are part of the human family, they can reason with men, they can argue with men reasonably, they are actually quite interesting and some men find them to be attractive because of their strength, I know I do.And they don't necessarily shy away from their womanliness if they are disposed to do so, to be a woman to a real feminist is not something to be ashamed of, unlike fake feminist who are merely she-males, women who are just trying to be men.Real feminist have not given up hope that women and men can work together. They have much to be admired for. I was highlighting this versus some fakers who would feign nausea at the sight of the shadow of a man under the guise of feminism.One of the central idea of feminism is for women to understand and appreciate themselves, not try to be men. In understanding and appreciating themselves women realize that they appreciate, if not understand men, the reasonable ones.And that our fate is bounded, our challenges more often than not cross gender, and our divisions more illusions of ignorance than hard-corded insurmountable reality.

I see parallels -albeit with limits- between the racial divide and the gender divide, with minority in the diaspora paralleling women in being the groups that was held down.Just as a self actualized black man would not be intimidated by the so called majority, because of the knowledge of his history and culure, a real woman/ feminist should equally not be intimidated by men due to her knowledge of the central position she play, as a friend, as a sister, as a mother.This is what I meant by "being comfortable with men" specifically because there is a brand of feminism that strongly believe that if a "feminist" is not "anti-male" she is selling out, as misguided as how some members of minority races in the diaspora view working in a professional environment and wearing a suit and tie, or talking proper language and reading is "selling out".

These notions are the epitomy of ignorance and will only fuel the idiocratic divide between men and women.

Last edited:
Im totally lost ndugu!

My lovely sister means my lovely fellow Mtz (female); and read between the lines meaning sometime you/we need to have in-depth understanding of our "slang" ya kiswazi

Does that bring any doubt about me??!!

Tuko pamoja kama Printer na toner

..........Dad
:D

Many a times we hear people say " she is a feminist".... "that feminist is on it again!"
Do we understand what Feminism is? It is not just women who support this movement, men do support it too. Therefore it is not a sin to support this discourse and thinking.

My question is "Is it helpful to label anyone a "feminist"?
Lets discuss ladies and gents.

Mmmh! I dont know much about Feminists, but here are some few facts:

Source:
Scholars and Rogues » Feminist confidential: sexy secrets of the ladies on the left

• A “feminist” is a person who holds some version of the beliefs I have just utterly failed to define. Like any catch-all label, “feminist” is mostly meaningless and highly emotionally charged at the same time, guaranteed to end a date or break up a book club. Frankly, anyone whose primary self-identification is anything ending in “-ist” is probably writing a thesis, flogging a book or applying for grants. I use “feminist” the way I use “narcissist” or “hedonist”: to describe my various sublime parts, of which the glorious whole is far, far more than the sum.

• Ergo, a man can be a feminist. Real men always are.

• Feminists who are women can like men. It’s allowed. We can like big men, small men, short men, tall men. We can like them in a box. We can like them with a - well, you get the idea. We can also dislike men… and women, and obnoxious children, and yappy little dogs, and we can do so on an individual and situational basis. If we are adult and reasonably sane, we do not indiscriminately hate half the species because they have a funky chromosome. That would be sexist, sick and simply wrong. Trust me: if I hate you, it’s because I have decided that you, yourself, as an individual human being, are an asshole. It’s personal.

• Feminists can wear makeup. We can also decline to debate our choice to comply with patriarchal standards of feminine beauty or refuse to discuss the roots of our deep-seated self-loathing. Talk to me when you’re forty, kid.

• Feminists act as a single-minded cohesive unit about as often as do, say, Christians. Or Democrats. Or Pee Wee soccer teams.

• Feminists are not required to support female candidates, applicants or competitors simply because they, too, are female. In fact, Kim Gandy and NOW, I thought that was rather the point of the entire exercise; that we attempt to level the playing field as much as possible and then let the games begin. Yes, I know we’re nowhere near that state of nirvana. However, endless e-mails about what a bad feminist I am if I don’t support Candidate XX because she’s a woman are not only antithetical to my own beliefs, they really, really piss me off, and I’m far from alone. That giant sucking sound is your membership swirling down the bowl.

• Feminists can really, really piss other feminists off. In fact, it’s our official pastime, or would be if we could agree on the rules, the scheduling or the uniforms.

• Any woman who wants equitable pay, owns property, votes, uses birth control, decides when to have sex, goes to college or has custody of her children is a feminist, whether or not she has the ovaries to own it or the brains to realize it.

• If you agree with anything in number eight, you are a feminist, too. Own it. Touch it. Love it.

• And of course, feminists in general are mind-blowingly, overwhelmingly, sublimely fanfuckingtastic in bed. A meeting of equals has many, many rewards. Give it a try.

A feminist is a real woman after all!
Why do people label others "feminists"?
Imagine Superman if you were to be labeled " that man" as if ni tusi! Would it have made any sense? You are a man anyway.

Unajua WoS, this issue has something to do with history . . .

Asili yake ni katika karne ya 18 katika Mapinduzi ya Viwanda. Katika kipindi hiki walidai issues mbalimbali from access to employment, education, child care, contraception, and abortion, to equality in the workplace, changing family roles, redress for sexual harassment in the workplace, and the need for equal political representation.

Nadhani ni baada ya Wao Kuona kuwa wanayoyafanya hayatofautiani na wanaume na kuwa they are equal . . . . Akina baba, baadhi wakaona ngoma nzito na kuanza kuwaita Feminist . . .

Imagine Superman if you were to be labeled " that man" as if ni tusi! Would it have made any sense? You are a man anyway.

People label other feminist because for so long how a woman shall be was not designed by a woman, rather it was a societal -mainly designed by men- construct. So to set apart "the new woman" from the subservient and not so self aware woman, that is why it is necessary to label the new/ progressive woman as a feminist. The old woman wants to be a cheerleader because she understand that as a womans position, to cheer men. The new woman feminist, seldom wants to cheerlead, due to its subjugatory nature, and if she wants to do that it will be entirely for her own reasons, like she likes the camaraderie, she is conducting a social experiment, she is cheerleading her mates in a non subservient mutual beneficial way (The more I think about this the harder I see a feminist cheerleading, if only from the subservient roots of thetradition, but part of the definition of a feminist is to be non-conventionally original and not let others define her, so it is not entirely unfathomable to have a feminist who is not afraid to get in touch with her dare I say "decorative" side? this is one of the challenges of feminism, where does one draw the line?

As to why are some incensed by the word "feminist" there are two things here, perception creates it's own quasi-reality, albeit erronously.There are those who are incensed by the word "feminist" because they do not understand who a bona fide feminist is, and they take the impostor (e.g anti male dyke, note dyke not lesbian) to be the true feminist and they are not ready to identify with that.

Then there are those who do not want to define themselves with any anti-establishment movement, which feminism has had the privilege of being. In the first case it is more about misidentification and the second is about lack of courage.

I have also realized that some women give fellow women labels. You find jokingly or sometimes seriously that a girl might call another girl "bitch" or "slut" but when a man calls them so wanasema it's disrespectful. It becomes like the "nigga" affect as such that if you are not a nigga don't call me a nigga. You can also find a mother scolding his son "uta kubalije kushindwa na msichana". Here the woman unknowingly has already taught his son that males are superior to females. So I think before women can look at the perceptions of them by others they should also look at their own perceptions of themselves. I think women should also be careful because sometimes they give themselves the labels are contribute to them.

Mwambie wewe bana...the guy is too long winded. He kinda reminds me of JMushi1....

Forgive my long post even though you weren't obliged to read it if you didn't wish to do so. Walio soma wameelewa ambao hawakutaka they got to steppin'. But I'll be sure to keep them short from here on.

I have also realized that some women give fellow women labels. You find jokingly or sometimes seriously that a girl might call another girl "bitch" or "slut" but when a man calls them so wanasema it's disrespectful. It becomes like the "nigga" affect as such that if you are not a nigga don't call me a nigga. You can also find a mother scolding his son "uta kubalije kushindwa na msichana". Here the woman unknowingly has already taught his son that males are superior to females. So I think before women can look at the perceptions of them by others they should also look at their own perceptions of themselves. I think women should also be careful because sometimes they give themselves the labels are contribute to them.

I've heard nmothers tell their sons to "man up"

Back
Top Bottom