Diversity in Tanzania: Where are the Asian, Arab, European-Tanzanians?

I think hawa watu wamejikita sana kwenye Business, sio mbaya its just specialization; Most of them have been raised as enterpreneurs, as you know ukilelewa kwenye familia ya kimichezo there is a big chance na wewe utakuwa a sports person e.g matumla family, njohole family to name just a few....

Kwahiyo probably biashara itakapoanza kuwa ngumu as of now other people Tanzanians of African ancestry wameanza kuingilia hii issue probably nao itabidi waingie pengine kutafuta ajira, Just like in America ilivyokuwa kwa Black americans kwenye sports, Lakini sasa sababu ya kipato kuwa kikubwa huko even white americans wanataka kuingia kwa wingi

kama Moshi

When talking about diversity we have to acknowledge the low percentage of Asian Tanzanians or European Tanzanians as one of the reasons you can't see them everywhere. I know Dar may give a distorted picture, but that is hardly the case nationwide.

Nevertheless, diversity is important. We have had our Brycesons, Kassums, Gulamalis, Lakhas just to mention a few. And we still have our Rakesh Rajanis and Richard Mabalas. Just as you don't want to underrepresent, you don't want to overrepresent. You also don't want to overregulate. I know for a fact Tanzanians of Indian descent do not like the armed services, and there is a cultural/ religious reason why this is so that goes back to the Bhagavad-Gita and The Upanishads. And there is a cultural/ religious reason why the Indian you mentioned in the armed services was a Sikh. So I would hate to see them forced in the armed services to fulfill a quota, just as I would hate to see any conscientious objector being so subjected. I am not saying this is what you are saying, but diversity should be encouraged to happen naturally as much as possible, otherwise it will turn into a concocted amalganation which is totally undesirable.

Our constitution guarantees freedom of vocation, there is no history of underprivilege for Asian/ European Tanzanians (if anything there is a history of privilege), I am not saying underprivilege should be the sole criteria in determining the nature of diversity, in some cases diversity could be enriching just from the cultural aspect. But just as we want to diversify our armed services (hopefully without violating religious freedom) we should also think of diversifying access to some business vocation where Tanzanians of Asian descent are overrepresented.

And if we wanna keep it 100%, can I really diversify the Jamat experience ? If I want a Gujarati bride, can I really up and propose like that?That is the root of all issues when it comes to diversification. The issue is not so much that Tanzania does not want to diversify as it is that Tanzanians of Asians descent for example, are rather traditional people with little interest in diversification themselves. You can take a horse to the river but you can't force the horse to drink the water. If Tanzanians of Indian descent have a strong caste system within their own communities, traditions and religions why should we want to violate their ways and encourage them to diversify ?

Mwanakijiji, you have written as if you are in Tanzania. Are you?

kama Moshi

Yes ni kweli even in Tanzanian culture, Chaga are more into business, Kulya used to me more into the army, there is a case of machinga's, Masai more into medicines, etc. Its just how people are raised; but now will come the time to where everyone goes where there is money... Like now its politics everyone wants to go there

Well..we know they are here; we work with them, we work for them, we go to school with them and we have served the national service with them. We have had them in the TPDF as well as in the Police Force (I remember some Singh and Khan). From the very beginning of our Republic Tanzanians of Asian, Arab and European ancestry have served well and some with distinction such as the late Maj. Gen. John Walden (Commander Black Mamba).

As I look at the make up of our nation's top leadership I'm beginning to worry and wonder what is happening. Have we failed in our experiment with diversity and inclusion of people of different races who claim Tanzanian citizenship? Have we failed in recruiting all Tanzanians in our public service? How can we fight international criminal gangs or organized crime for example without the help of all Tanzanians? Without the help of Tanzanians of all races how can we create strong national intelligence service? I don't know if we have Tanzanians of different races in our embassies abroad serving in different capacities.

Have we now created a de facto one race public service or nation where only black people serve in public service? Is this good for the nation? How can we restore a sense of pride and true unity by including all colors of our nations make up? Or the only other venue for Tanzanians of non-african ancestry to serve is in the politics arena and nowhere else?

Why there is no: Tanzanian of non-african ancestry in

a. In the Court of Appeal
b. In the High Court
c. In TPDF High Command (National and Regional)
d. In Police and Prison Service High Command (National and Regional)
e. In Intelligence Service (none hold any directorial position, I know of no one serving at the HQ)
e. In Regional Commissioners
f. In DCs
.. etc

And even more amazing..

Why we don't see them in the Cabinet or as Deputies? Are there any magistrates in Tanzanian who are of non-African ancestry? What about in our Foreign Service, how many works at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or any other Ministry's HQ?in our is the number somewhat representative of the the group in our population?

What are we doing wrong? I mean African-Americans make only about 12 percent of US's population but they are almost everywhere in the public service, why in a nation which only 40 or so years ago some of its political elite cried "segregation now, segregation forever" now stands in the world as a symbol of diversity promoted and welcomed. Do our political leadership have a role to play to recruit minorities in Tanzanian into the public service? Do we need to learn how to do this from countries that have made major strides in this area? I mean.. even the former Governor General of Canada is a black woman (originally from Haiti).

How can we include our racial minority in our public service? Will it shock some Tanzanians to hear that so and so has been appointed a High Court Judge or head of certain government institution? Especially if her/his name is a Smith or a Patel? I'm longing to see that happen, we have to restore what Tanzania is all about.. we got lost somewhere, we sure did.

kaka Tanzania hakuna ubaguzi kama unavyofikilia ila wao ndo wabaguzi, kama huamini fanya utafiti ulizia wafanyakazi wa kibongo wanaofanya kazi ndani mwao, utapata habari yake, majamaa ni wabaguzi hakuna mchezo, hata mbongo kupata urafiki na mtoto wao wa kike ni mbinde, kwanza hayupo.

Kama unabisha nenda katafuta mtoto wa kike mwenye asili ya asia uone kama utampata.

Kuna ambao nilisoma nao sekondari has waarabu na wahindi,wengi wao waliishia fm6 wacahche walienda internatiol school arusha, wengine wakaenda vyuo vikuu ulaya,wengine wlibaki huko na baadhi walirudi kuendeleza biashara za familia zao,lakini wapo waliobaki kwenye taaluma na sasa ni waalim vyuo vikuu.Wengi wao hasa wahindi na waarabu wako kwenye biashara kama ambavyo wengine wamechangia,sio kwamba wana akili sana za biashara kuzidi sisi bali wao wanasaidiana sana halafu baadhi yao wana ujanja wa kucheza na rushwa na kama ujuavyo biashara tz inawalipa sana kutokana na ujanaja wa kukwepa kodi na kucheza na njaa za wasomi wetu wlioajiriwa kwenye taasis nyeti za serikali.Tanzania no tofauti na Zimbabwe maan huko wazungu walikuwa ni masetlers yaani waliamua kuishi nchini kama raia,wakati tz wazungu hawakuseto baada ya uhuru wachache waliokuwako walirudi kwao.Wahindi na waarabu wao waliishi nchini kama raia lakini wakaspecialize kwenye busines,na kama isngekuw ni azimio la Arusha pamoja na utaifishaji wa mali zao ikafuatiwa na ulanguzi basi wangekuw ni matajiri sana kuliko sasa.Hata hivyo baadhi yao wanajibagua has awahindi,pamoja na kuishi kwao hapa kwa miaka mingi lakini ni vigumukuona chotara wa kihindi,hata nyumaba zao za ibada nyingi ni za kwao tu.Japo kwli kuna baadhi wanawabagua wapo watz ambao wasingependa kuona mtu kama Zakia Megji anakuwa waziri pengine kwa mamabo mawili yaani rangi yake na dini yake

Well..we know they are here; we work with them, we work for them, we go to school with them and we have served the national service with them. We have had them in the TPDF as well as in the Police Force (I remember some Singh and Khan). From the very beginning of our Republic Tanzanians of Asian, Arab and European ancestry have served well and some with distinction such as the late Maj. Gen. John Walden (Commander Black Mamba).

As I look at the make up of our nation's top leadership I'm beginning to worry and wonder what is happening. Have we failed in our experiment with diversity and inclusion of people of different races who claim Tanzanian citizenship? Have we failed in recruiting all Tanzanians in our public service? How can we fight international criminal gangs or organized crime for example without the help of all Tanzanians? Without the help of Tanzanians of all races how can we create strong national intelligence service? I don't know if we have Tanzanians of different races in our embassies abroad serving in different capacities.

Have we now created a de facto one race public service or nation where only black people serve in public service? Is this good for the nation? How can we restore a sense of pride and true unity by including all colors of our nations make up? Or the only other venue for Tanzanians of non-african ancestry to serve is in the politics arena and nowhere else?

b. In the High Court
e. In Intelligence Service (none hold any directorial position, I know of no one serving at the HQ)
f. In DCs
.. etc

And even more amazing..

Why we don't see them in the Cabinet or as Deputies? Are there any magistrates in Tanzanian who are of non-African ancestry? What about in our Foreign Service, how many works at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or any other Ministry's HQ?in our is the number somewhat representative of the the group in our population?

What are we doing wrong? I mean African-Americans make only about 12 percent of US's population but they are almost everywhere in the public service, why in a nation which only 40 or so years ago some of its political elite cried "segregation now, segregation forever" now stands in the world as a symbol of diversity promoted and welcomed. Do our political leadership have a role to play to recruit minorities in Tanzanian into the public service? Do we need to learn how to do this from countries that have made major strides in this area? I mean.. even the former Governor General of Canada is a black woman (originally from Haiti).

How can we include our racial minority in our public service? Will it shock some Tanzanians to hear that so and so has been appointed a High Court Judge or head of certain government institution? Especially if her/his name is a Smith or a Patel? I'm longing to see that happen, we have to restore what Tanzania is all about.. we got lost somewhere, we sure did.

I think we need to learn from Zanzibaris ... I have have seen all races in the public service.

Niliwahi kumsikia political analyst mmoja akisema kuwa moja ya sababu ya India kuweza kupiga hatua kubwa kwenye mambo ya IT ni kwa kuwa ni kazi mpya na haina mwenyewe kwenye ile cast system yao na hivyo watu wa cast yoyote wameweza kutoa ushindani na kuweza kufikia mafanikio makubwa. Na hivyo hivyo kwenye mambo ya robotics za viwandani.

Suala la kujiuliza ni hawa Watanzania wa asili ya India wanaendeleza mfumo wa casts kwa kiwango gani Tanzania? Ikiwa wanaendeleza mfumo kama ulivyo India basi tutakuta ni wachache mno tukiwagawa katika kila fani nchini kiasi cha kuweza kuonekana, hasa ikizingatiwa kuwa waliokuja enzi za zamani wengi walikuwa ni wa tabaka la wafanyabiashara.

Mwanakijiji ... you have a very fertile concern..... i am a bit worried with the existence of Indians as a business community... they will first fight for Tanzanian citizenship like if citizenship is their core business or a needed resource .... but the truth is, citizenship is their master business plan... and above all they will use citizenship to erode and suck our wealth lawful

now Airtel is here with major stakeholder in the firm as of indian origin.... you will tell me soon how would the employment pattern of Airtel in terms of natives

b. In the High Court
f. In DCs
.. etc

And even more amazing..

Wamejikita zaidi katika maeneo yafuatayo :-
1. Biashara - ambayo huliingizia taifa mapato
2. Mambo ya ushauri hasa maswala ya finance kama kwenye sisiem , kitu ambacho hurahisishia watawala ku execute ilani
3. Medical - wanajitahidi kuimarisha afya za wananchi ili waweze kushiriki kwenye uzalishaji
4. Kuendeleza michezo e.g. Yanga
Hayo ni baadhi ya machache ambayo watanzania wenye asili hizo wameamua kutoa mchango wao.

Kwa uzoefu wangu, wahindi na waarabu ndio wapo wengi ktk Public Service, Sijaona Mzungu kabisa

I think hawa watu wamejikita sana kwenye Business, sio mbaya its just specialization; Most of them have been raised as enterpreneurs, as you know ukilelewa kwenye familia ya kimichezo there is a big chance na wewe utakuwa a sports person e.g matumla family, njohole family to name just a few....

Kwahiyo probably biashara itakapoanza kuwa ngumu as of now other people Tanzanians of African ancestry wameanza kuingilia hii issue probably nao itabidi waingie pengine kutafuta ajira, Just like in America ilivyokuwa kwa Black americans kwenye sports, Lakini sasa sababu ya kipato kuwa kikubwa huko even white americans wanataka kuingia kwa wingi

kama Moshia

b. In the High Court
f. In DCs
.. etc

And even more amazing..

hilo ni jema ukitafakari KWA MUDA wao ndio WABAGUZI hatuwaoni vijiwe vya kahawa hatuwaoni wanakata magogo na kuchoma mkaa hatuwaoni wakihudumia waTz kama mama ntilie huku askari wa jiji wakiwanyang'anya sefuria hatuwaoni kwenye gongo..... mwanangu hao hawajaja leo hapa tz KWELI KABISA WAO NDIO WABAGUZI!

wapenzi wa chadema wameanza kuitenga cuf kwa eneo walilotoka, dini, nchi, na mafanikio yao ya kisiasa, yaani chadema wamefika mahali wao ni superior, halafu then unataka waingie waasia, wazungu, na waarabu kwenye siasa zetu au serikalini!!! watadumu kweli na akili hizi kama za wanachadema?? nimetoa mfano tu!

I think most of them aren't patrotic. Can you opt for Rostam who is always thinking of cutting our neck??? Afro-Americans know that America is now there motherland and not otherwise so they are ready to die for america. Rostam na Kinana wanaweza kuwa na moyo huo. They must Change

Mzee Mwanakijiji, hakuna any divesity plan au inclusion strategy yoyote simply because these people are not there.

Hawa wenzetu hawaombi kazi serikali, hao unaowaona kwenye siasa, ni watu wenye biashara zao, uwaziri hata wa bure hawataki.

Mahali pekee ambapo bado wapo ni Mahospitali na kwenye tasnia ya sheria kama wanasheria na wengi ni maadvocate.

Zamani nilidhani hawana interest na kazi zetu, niko jengo moja mjini lina ofisi za balozi kadhaa, nimegundua most of the local staff, ndio hawa wenzetu, waajiri wa kimataifa wamejiaminisha hawa wenzetu ni watu wenye bidii zaidi na ni waaminifu zaidi kuliko akina sisi.

Uakuja wewe na degree yako ya chuo kikuu, unapewe kazi ya advisory na take home ya M.3 plus, unaridhika kwa sababu level ya serikalini unaijua, bali utashindwa kushangaa unapokutana na mfanyakazi mwenzako form 1V leaver akifanya clerical job na take home ya M.5 simply beause ni light skinned!.

Nilitembelea hapo UN nikafuatilia kidogo quota systeam ya ajira. Ajira zetu sisi Watanzania ziko chini ya Eastern Africa and the Horn of Africa. Nikakuta surprise surprise, karibu wajiriwa wote ni Wasomali, Wanda na Wakenya, kwenye portion ya Tanzania, nafasi zimejazwa na wenzetu hawa. Vivyo hiyo ofisi za UN pale Geneva, na sio UN peke yake, hata kwenye mashirika yake, portion ya Watanzania kwenye ILO, FAO Rome, pia zimejazwa na wenzetu hawa.

Tukirudi hapa nyumbani, ni wenzetu hawa hawa ndio wenye upper hand kwenye tenda zote kubwa kumbwa. Toka tenda ya supply ya vifaa vya Jeshi, Rada, Helcopter, Ndege ya rais mpaka local partner wa Kalamazoo, na sasa national ID project, ni hawa hawa wenzetu.

Tunazo production company lukiki hapa nchini zinazomilikiwa na wazawa, tenda zote za promotion ya Utalii, zinakwenda kwa wenzetu hawa. Wao ndio wamiliki wakubwa wa biashara zote kubwa kubwa nchini, hata ukijitahidi ukafungua ka travel agent kako, tenda zote za travel, advertising na promotion, zinakwenda kwao.

Japo siungi mkono juhudi zozote za kuwabagua, natamani tungefanya affinmative action ya wazawa kushika biashara kubwa kama walivyofanya wenzetu kule South Afrika. Leo jijini, Dar kunaibuka maghorofa ya kutisha kila kukicha, na yote ni ya wenzetu hawa. Kariakoo wameishaimaliza sasa wamehamia Ilala na Magomeni, wakitununua na kutuhamisha, wakati kungekuwa na affimative action, tungeingia nao ubia.

Sasa jeshini hawapo tena, polisi hawapo na wala serikali hawaombi kazi, tutawasaidiaje, ila pia kitu funny ajabu, wenzetu pia hawavunji kabisa sheria, hawapo mahabusu za polisi, wala magerezani, na ni impaka ilipoibuka EPA, baada ya serikali kujua wenzetu hawa wapo, wakakarabati kwanza gereza la Ukonga kuweka vyumba VIP vyenye viyoyosi, plasma big screen TV, shower za hot water, na kutoa tenda kwa 5 star hotel kuprovide outside catering, eti hawawezi kula ugali na maharage, sio vyakula vyao vya asili.

Enzi za Dr. Leader Starring, Joan Wickens, Derreck Bryson, All Noor Kassum, Amiri Jamal are over, hizi sasa ni nyakati zetu, sisi na Bagamoyo yetu japo bado ni wao ndio wanaotujengea!.
Mkuu Pasco,
Hii post yako umeilezea vizuri sana,bila kuuma maneno.Kama ni maziwa umetupa full cream umeondoa maji yote.Naomba tuendelee kumuona huyu Pasco wa leo.

b. In the High Court
f. In DCs
.. etc

And even more amazing..

MMK,

The biggest problem is that most these so called Tanzanian of Asian origin are tainted with questionable integrity, there are some who stand out and I would love to see them involved, one person that I can remember is that guy of Twaweza/Haki Elimu.
I have not heard any bad story about a Tanzanian of European origin being mentioned and yes it would of good help if we could find a way to integrate them into politics and public services.

I think we should also be able to ask ourselves that...is there any one of Tanzanian origin in any post within their country systems? i.e India

Kwa jinsi tunavyowasulubu hao wachache waliojiingiza kwenye siasa, kweli unashangaa kwa nini wengine hawajitokezi?

Amandla....
Kwa hiyo unataka tuwa treat tofauti!Kuna wabantu wengi tunawasulubu na bado jinsi miaka inavyokwenda wengi zaidi wana jiingiza kwenye siasa, nani wapi hao ambao tumewasulubu?

Mimi ananilinda huyu....

sikh-cops.jpg

Sio mcheza sinema ya kihindi huyu? Population growth yao ikoje hapa Tanzania?

Back
Top Bottom