5 things I wish some people wouldn't install on their PCs

Invisible

Robot
Feb 11, 2006
by Lee Mathews

6-23-2009-8-21-56-am.jpg

Our readers are a pretty savvy bunch. You're up to speed on what software is and isn't worth downloading, and you're likely the "friend that knows about computers" to a lot of people. Wouldn't it be nice if some of those people started paying attention to our advice - and quit downloading things like...

1. A second (or third...or fourth) antivirus program.
Despite what we tell them, some people think "more is always better" when it comes to PC protection. Inevitably, those people end up bringing their computers in for service saying "it just slowed right down" and - here's the kicker - "maybe it has a virus."

So wait...You installed Norton, AVG, Spyware Doctor, and Ad-Aware because you thought it would keep out all the badness and you still think it's a virus slowing down your machine? /facepalm

2. Just...one...more...toolbar (thank you J-Walk blog for the image).

I launch their browser to download something, and it's like a punch in the face. Enough is enough, people. Use your browser's search box already.
Apparently a lot of people love to search. So much, in fact, that they need dedicated toolbars for Google, Yahoo, Ask, Live, MyWebSearch, and a handful of others. They wind up with less browser real estate than an iPhone on their 22" LCD.

3. Apps with annoying avatars. Incredimail, I'm looking at you.

Bonzi Buddy is dead, and for a good reason. Isn't an AOL-style "You've Got Mail!" alert good enough? Apparently not for some people. No, they need to have some snooty butler announce the arrival of every message like he's Alfred bringing Bruce Wayne a phone call from the mayor.

4. P2P apps. Don't get me wrong - it's not apps like Frostwire, uTorrent, and eMule that I have a problem with. But if you're not going to take the time to learn how to configure these things, don't use them. And don't call and get uppity when your internet connection slows to a crawl and tell me I screwed things up.

5. Piggybacked programs. I'm shocked how much software people wind up with on their PCs that they never use and claim to not know how it got there.

Checkboxes are there for a reason, folks. You don't have to install Safari. You don't have to install Adobe Media Player. Remember that Ask toolbar? You probably could have opted out of that, too - if you would take a second to read before you click. If I put food in front of you, you wouldn't just grab it and eat it without looking, right?

What about you - what do you wish people would stop installing?

What about you - what do you wish people would stop installing?

Yahoo messenger + Skype + MSN, especially on a slow machine.
I have noticed that you can now chat via the web browser on yahoo website, in a similar fashion like on gmail.

Yahoo messenger + Skype + MSN, especially on a slow machine.
I have noticed that you can now chat via the web browser on yahoo website, in a similar fashion like on gmail.

But you don't have all the features.

This guy is a two bit techie with no communication skills and a fancy that he is some tech god.

If all these people would be as savvy as he wants them, he would be out of a job, the fool.

This guy is a two bit techie with no communication skills and a fancy that he is some tech god.

If all these people would be as savvy as he wants them, he would be out of a job, the fool.

ISSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! Where is the love Dude

Fancy what?

Well kwa mazingira ya ofisini kwa mfano, a person will make a call using Skype pengine mara mbili kwa mwaka. Why keep it running everyday together with MSN + Yahoo messenger?
Mtu analalamika computer imekuwa slow, anakuomba umuwekee google earth; unamwonea huruma unapokaa kuitumia maana iko slow ile mbaya.

Mtu mwenye rundo la messengers mara nyingi huwa ni mpenzi wa virusi pia (computer yake isipokuwa na virus hana raha. Utaviondoa leo, siku mbili baadae amevirudisha).

If you're busy using ALL three, then it is fine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• crowded taskbar.jpg
    crowded taskbar.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 128
mimi machine haina tatizo la speed ila imegoma kupiga simu kupitia hii soft ware ya voipy. inaniambia ni run compatibility mode xp service pack2 but imefail to work hata baada ya kufanya hivyo. Ni vista home basic. Kama kuna mtu mwenye solution tafadhali aweke hapa nitashukuru

mimi machine haina tatizo la speed ila imegoma kupiga simu kupitia hii soft ware ya voipy. inaniambia ni run compatibility mode xp service pack2 but imefail to work hata baada ya kufanya hivyo. Ni vista home basic. Kama kuna mtu mwenye solution tafadhali aweke hapa nitashukuru
Wewe ukafanyaje?
Jaribu kutafuta latest version ya hiyo software.

Pendekezo lingine: Tizama,
Using Windows Vista Compatibility Mode

Hah!

That does not worry me. It should not worry you either or any other "two bit" techie guy. Everyone should read the passage below to understand why:

Steve Chandler on his book "100 ways to motivate yourself" wrote,

Leave your Comfort Zone

Our society encourages us to seek comfort. Most products and service advertised day and night are designed to make us more comfortable and less challenged.

And yet, only challenge causes growth. Only challenge will test our skills and make us better. Only challenge and the self motivation to engage the challenge will transform us. Every challenge we face is an opportunity to create a more skillful self.

So it is up to you to constantly look for challenges to motivate yourself with. And it's up to you to notice when you're buried alive in comfort zone! It's up to you to notice when you are spending your life, in the image of the poet William Olsen, like a flower "living under the wind".

Use your comfort zones to rest in, not to live in! Use them consciously to relax and restore your energy as you mentally prepare for your next challenge. But if you use comfort zones to live in forever, they become what rock singer Sting calls your "soul cages". Break Free!. Fly away. Experience what the philosopher Fichte meant when he said, “Being free is nothing. Becoming free is heavenly’.

I like that passage so much that I feel I need to stress more on a few bits here, especially if you went through it too quickly:

• Can you think of anything else that will test our skills and make us better? (apart from challenge)
  • Should we seek challenge?
  • "Every challenge we face is _______ to create a more skillful self."
  • What is being said about challenges, motivation versus comfort zone?
    (Have you ever lost motivation?)

Btw, one example of a comfort zone is your current job position (for those employees) :)