We are not saying the Germans had good intention. But we are just comparing the facts. If there are some people who are justifying our poor developmental performance from our historical background, then I don't see the reason why should we not state fact that Germans had invested more and at a good pace than British. And when we admit that, we do not intend to devalue the independence we attained. I know history is written by the winners, thats why most of our history will never admit that kind of reality even though there are clear evidences of a Germany investment while no evidence to British investment in Tanganyika.My point here is not whether the Brits and the French were better or worse than the Germans. It is a fallacy to believe that the colonialists (all of them) had the intention of "developing" the countries that they were colonizing. To claim that we would have been better off under the Germans or whosoever portrays a lack of understanding of the whole issue of colonialism.
Are you serious, that you are still romanticizing the colonial past?...Germany investment while no evidence to British investment in Tanganyika.
Are you serious, that you are still romanticizing the colonial past?
This is a weird kind of thinking. I thought we no longer have people who still think like "natives".But it is a fact that the British investment in Tanganyika, and in fact in most of its colonies serve for Kenya and Zimbabwe in Africa was very minimal. They extract a lot from Tanganyika but invested next to nothing. Why is it bad to state that fact?
This is a weird kind of thinking. I thought we no longer have people who still think like "natives".
The "nativeness" lies in the appreciation of the colonial master's "investment" (as you put it).What is "nativeness" about that?
The "nativeness" lies in the appreciation of the colonial master's "investment" (as you put it).
It seems like you appreciate more the "investments" done by the Germans than the Brits. At least that is how I perceived your posts.In my posting I did not indicate anywhere that I appreciating the colonial master's investments in their colonies. Did I?
It seems like you appreciate more the "investments" done by the Germans than the Brits. At least that is how I perceived your posts.
But seriously, haven't you applauded the so called Germany's investments in Tanganyika as opposed to the Brit's in your posts?Did I appreciate them? No. How? Did I invent them? No. Did I state the fact? Yes. Is that what you call "nativeness"?
But seriously, haven't you applauded the so called Germany's investments in Tanganyika as opposed to the Brit's in your posts?
To do better? Better to whom, the colonized? Are you serious?How did I applaud? May be I condemned the attitude of the British towards their colonies. Were they not supposed to do better?
To do better? Better to whom, the colonized? Are you serious?
Your last sentence is both contradictory and out of context. You also need to revise your use of the term "parochial", imho.That is what I will call a parochial mindset. Even in war the conqueror is not supposed to do certain things to the vanquished.
Insulted? To the contrary. It seems like you prefer to be subjective. That is your own choice. Somehow it is strange that you are still using English as your language of expression. Isn't that one of the legacies of British colonial rule, of which you should also be "thankful"; just like for the German "investments"?I am sorry if you feel insulted...
Insulted? To the contrary. It seems like you prefer to be subjective. That is your own choice. Somehow it is strange that you are still using English as your language of expression. Isn't that one of the legacies of British colonial rule of which you should also be "thankful"; just like the German "investments"?
I advise you to get yourself a copy of Paul Freire's book "Pedagogy of the Oppressed". It might help to alleviate your colonial stupor.You could change one of the sentences to read as follows: "Somehow it is strange that we are still using English as your language of expression".
Anyway, I used English to respond to a message which was written in English.
The colonised cannot avoid using some elements of their master's language. The British still use Latin and Roman knowledge of many things. Our own Kiswahili is mixture of native languages and languages of our past masters - Arabs, Portuguese, Germans, and the British.
Insulted? To the contrary. It seems like you prefer to be subjective. That is your own choice. Somehow it is strange that you are still using English as your language of expression. Isn't that one of the legacies of British colonial rule, of which you should also be "thankful"; just like for the German "investments"?
...the way you tend to limit the discussion about colonialism...