Tanzania’s soul is dead and we’re all guilty of killing it

Gerald .M Magembe

JF-Expert Member
Jul 17, 2013
A top politician – whom I shall not name – once said that Tanzania doesn’t have a shortage of fools. My jaw dropped. Methinks the politician knows exactly why he would make such a derogatory remark. He would’ve been lynched if he was white. Let me set the record straight – the politician in question isn’t a fool himself.

But why would one impugn the character of homo sapiens he’s determined to rule?

There’s only one plausible answer – he must believe the earthlings are homo Erectus, not homo sapiens. My intellect tells me to interrogate all statements, especially the most outrageous. I have reluctantly concluded – after deep reflection – that the politician was right

But I don’t endorse his contempt for the people.

I don’t want to be macabre in this column. Even so, let’s walk through some damning truths. I don’t know whether you’ve ever looked into the eyes of a corpse. I have – and the look haunts me to this day. The stare wasn’t blank but deeply penetrating. I saw the torment of the world through those “dead” eyes. But I was shocked when I turned around and looked back into the eyes again.

What I saw can only be described as demonic, if such a thing exists. I was spooked. Now I know why – I was looking into the eyes of an expired body without a soul, without life. Which begs the question – when does a country die?

There may be pretenders to some of these thrones, but that’s all they are – pretenders. But some countries in Africa are dying even before they are fully born. Think of DRC, CAR, South Sudan, and little Burundi to name just a few.

This is what Tanzanians – if such a people exist – must ask themselves. Is Tanzania dying before it’s really born? If so, is it dying because it has no shortage of fools? Who are these fools, and where are they?

It was either Joseph de Maistre or Alexis de Tocqueville who said that “in a democracy, the people get the government they deserve.” The antecedent there is “democracy” which presumes the free will of the electorate. But I will go further, and argue that culture produces a leadership that reflects it – whether in a democracy or not. Either way, a civilisation – the accumulation of a people’s wisdom – is reflected in their state and its institutions. We are our culture.

I agree that culture isn’t static. In fact, culture is fluid and dynamic. However – and this is key – culture is forged over time, and is extremely resilient. It can be changed, or transformed, but only by a counter-culture. This brings me to Tanzania’s soul. Tanzania’s soul – like that of any other country – resides in the people. I know Tanzania doesn’t just have one soul – but I am only interested in its dominant soul.

There’s no doubt Tanzania has two competing souls. The first, and dominant one, is the demonic and evil soul that has eaten the country alive with impunity, tribalism and corruption. The subordinate soul is the one that is fought by the eater every minute the dominant soul has the opportunity.

Tanzania’s demonic and evil soul is pervasive. The people – both hoi polloi and the elite – are infested by it. Our people generally celebrate impunity, tribalism and graft. Tanzanians love corruption. This is our national character. Even when our better angels ward off the evil spirits – as they did in the 2015 -2020 Magufuli regime – the respite was momentary. We quickly lapsed into our true selves – a thieving, untrustworthy and ethically challenged nation.

Let’s be honest. There’s no need beating about the bush. We are our own worst enemies. Every five years, we elect robbers, drug barons, and haters. At a moment’s notice, we ecstatically cheer them at public rallies. We kill each other for them. Then we shed crocodile tears.

Let there be no doubt. Tanzania’s soul is dying fast if it isn’t dead already.

The press is awash with the most demented orgies of violence. Every headline hides the screams about one heist of the public purse after another. Senior officials lie openly.

Every fool is slowly looting. Our children are watching, and have joined in the moral degeneration. They are on drugs, or worse. The state is slowly shredding the Constitution to pieces. This is what I believe – let’s get on the road to Damascus, or perish

tutafsilie wazalendo mkuu.....au ujumbe ni kwa ajili ya wakazi wa london?

If someone sees others as fools may be he is a fool himself! And may be the whole world doesn't have a shortage of fools!

I do believe that Tanzanians are not fools as they seems to be! Sometimes a person could be regarded as a fool due to the lack of authority/ power and being dependent! Tanzanians and Africans in general, are mostly relying on other developing coutries; they do not trust african leaders that they can create development changes!

African used to have so many inteligent leaders such as Mwl Nyerere, Mandela et al!
Tanzanias are not fools.
Thus why, sometimes i wish the former president JPM, could be alive so as to bring great changes within African minds! Being dependant is worse than being a fool!

If someone sees others as fools may be he is a fool himself! And may be the whole world doesn't have a shortage of fools!

I do believe that Tanzanians are not fools as they seems to be! Sometimes a person could be regarded as a fool due to the lack of authority/ power and being dependent! Tanzanians and Africans in general, are mostly relying on other developing coutries; they do not trust african leaders that they can create development changes!

African used to have so many inteligent leaders such as Mwl Nyerere, Mandela et al!
Tanzanias are not fools.
Thus why, sometimes i wish the former president JPM, could be alive so as to bring great changes within African minds! Being dependant is worse than being a fool!
Hawa wenye madaraka na pesa wanatuona sisi maskini kama hamnazo. Ndio maana wanaongea chochote wanachojisikia.

A top politician – whom I shall not name – once said that Tanzania doesn’t have a shortage of fools. My jaw dropped. Methinks the politician knows exactly why he would make such a derogatory remark. He would’ve been lynched if he was white. Let me set the record straight – the politician in question isn’t a fool himself.

There’s only one plausible answer – he must believe the earthlings are homo erectus, not homo sapiens. My intellect tells me to interrogate all statements, especially the most outrageous. I have reluctantly concluded – after deep reflection – that the politician was right

I don’t want to be macabre in this column. Even so, let’s walk through some damning truths. I don’t know whether you’ve ever looked into the eyes of a corpse. I have – and the look haunts me to this day. The stare wasn’t blank, but deeply penetrating. I saw the torment of the world through those “dead” eyes. But I was shocked when I turned around, and looked back into the eyes again.

What I saw can only be described as demonic, if such a thing exists. I was spooked. Now I know why – I was looking into the eyes of an expired body without a soul, without life. Which begs the question – when does a country die?

There may be pretenders to some of these thrones, but that’s all they are – pretenders. But some countries in Africa are dying even before they are fully born. Think of DRC, CAR, South Sudan, and little Burundi to name just a few.

This is what Tanzanians – if such a people exist – must ask themselves. Is Tanzania dying before it’s really born? If so, is it dying because it has no shortage of fools? Who are these fools, and where are they?

It was either Joseph de Maistre or Alexis de Tocqueville who said that “in a democracy the people get the government they deserve.” The antecedent there is “democracy” which presumes the free will of the electorate. But I will go further, and argue that a culture produces a leadership that reflects it – whether in a democracy, or not. Either way, a civilisation – the accumulation of a people’s wisdom – is reflected in their state and its institutions. We are our culture.

I agree that culture isn’t static. In fact, culture is fluid and dynamic. However – and this is key – culture is forged over time, and is extremely resilient. It can be changed, or transformed, but only by a counter-culture. Which brings me to Tanzania’s soul. Tanzania’s soul – like that of any other country – resides in the people. I know Tanzania doesn’t just have one soul – but I am only interested in its dominant soul.

There’s no doubt Tanzania has two competing souls. The first, and dominant one, is the demonic and evil soul that has eaten the country alive with impunity, tribalism and corruption. The subordinate soul is the one that is fought by the eater every minute the dominant soul has the opportunity.

Tanzania’s demonic and evil soul is pervasive. The people – both hoi polloi and the elite – are infested by it. Our people generally celebrate impunity, tribalism and graft. Tanzanians love corruption. This is our national character. Even when our better angels ward off the evil spirits – as they did in the 2015 -2020 Magufuli regime – the respite was momentary. We quickly lapsed into our true selves – a thieving, untrustworthy and ethically challenged nation.

Let’s be honest. There’s no need beating about the bush. We are our own worst enemies. Every five years, we elect robbers, drug barons, and haters. At a moment’s notice, we ecstatically cheer them at public rallies. We kill each other for them. Then we shed crocodile tears.

Let there be no doubt. Tanzania’s soul is dying fast, if it isn’t dead already.

The press is awash with the most demented orgies of violence. Every headline hide the screams about one heist of the public purse after another. Senior officials lie openly.

Every fool is slowly looting. Our children are watching, and have joined in the moral degeneration. They are on drugs, or worse. The state is slowly shredding the Constitution to pieces. This is what I believe – let’s get on the road to Damascus, or perish
Iko juu sana

Kwi kwi

Sukuma Gang mleta uzi

Usimtegemee mwanadamu

kwisha kwisha Sukuma Gang

Africans always complaining about their leaders and police as if they were imported from another society.
Your police and political leaders are just a microcosm of what you are.
Change all politicians and police today with these ones on Jf and it will be even worse.
Until people change, nothing changes.

Black people are wicked and irrational thinkers truth must be spoken.
we need to bring back whitemen to rule our countries unless we are going to remain and parading at the same place.

There’s only one plausible answer – he must believe the earthlings are homo erectus, not homo sapiens. My intellect tells me to interrogate all statements, especially the most outrageous. I have reluctantly concluded – after deep reflection – that the politician was right

I don’t want to be macabre in this column. Even so, let’s walk through some damning truths. I don’t know whether you’ve ever looked into the eyes of a corpse. I have – and the look haunts me to this day. The stare wasn’t blank, but deeply penetrating. I saw the torment of the world through those “dead” eyes. But I was shocked when I turned around, and looked back into the eyes again.

It was either Joseph de Maistre or Alexis de Tocqueville who said that “in a democracy the people get the government they deserve.” The antecedent there is “democracy” which presumes the free will of the electorate. But I will go further, and argue that a culture produces a leadership that reflects it – whether in a democracy, or not. Either way, a civilisation – the accumulation of a people’s wisdom – is reflected in their state and its institutions. We are our culture.

I agree that culture isn’t static. In fact, culture is fluid and dynamic. However – and this is key – culture is forged over time, and is extremely resilient. It can be changed, or transformed, but only by a counter-culture. Which brings me to Tanzania’s soul. Tanzania’s soul – like that of any other country – resides in the people. I know Tanzania doesn’t just have one soul – but I am only interested in its dominant soul.

The press is awash with the most demented orgies of violence. Every headline hide the screams about one heist of the public purse after another. Senior officials lie openly.

Thanks a lot for this insight. Let it serve to ignite healthy debates on the facts without bias - I mean for the patriotic Tanzanians who gets the concept.

I support you in some of the arguments. It is an indisputable fact that Tanzanians love corruption. But to say that Tanzanians elect their leaders, you are not right, maybe you are a foreigner in this country. Were the 2019 local government election and the 2020 general elections represented the will of the people?

I support you in some of the arguments. It is an indisputable fact that Tanzanians love corruption. But to say that Tanzanians elect their leaders, you are not right, maybe you are a foreigner in this country. Were the 2019 local government election and the 2020 general elections represented the will of the people?
For the sighted two elections, despite all the obvious irregularities no one took any significant action. And this alone sets a tradition which the author is referring to - an ethically challenged nation with no shortage of fools/cowards.

Tanzanias are not fools.
They may not be fools but rather misinformed and malinformed most of the time. Key issues may be overlooked, overcomplicated, overtly misrepresented or not properly signified and all sorts of misguidings that we stray away from what is at stake and key. In the end most forget important events that should others always be of note when it matters, this is by hypnotic ways of the govt and its propaganda machinery. Yes, every govt employs propaganda to fool the easily fooled in efforts to smoothen its operations. Who benefits from this mission is anyone's guess and favourite passtime for the concerned and skeptic citizenry.

This issue of information and its delivery to the masses so as they make better judgement is the bitter pill needed to cure most malaise plaguing both the state sectors and society at large. But who has the power and will to empower the masses? This we, each one of us, must escavate on our own lest we become the walking dead amongst the few evil and powerful among us.

Anyone can say those easily persuaded by foul point of view as fools.

Africans always complaining about their leaders and police as if they were imported from another society.
Your police and political leaders are just a microcosm of what you are.
Change all politicians and police today with these ones on Jf and it will be even worse.
Until people change, nothing changes.

Black people are wicked and irrational thinkers truth must be spoken.
we need to bring back whitemen to rule our countries unless we are going to remain and parading at the same place.
Whites are even worse than what may seem. It is a lie and misrepresentation to think or say they are civilized. They are the worst. A total opposite of logic and any iteration of intelligence. The state of the world we live in led by them is reason and evidence enough to view their continued failings. The world is in chaos and ever moving towards doom because of the white westerners.

Thanks a lot for this insight. Let it serve to ignite healthy debates on the facts without bias - I mean for the patriotic Tanzanians who gets the concept.
Facts without bias will unfortunately be an alien thing in most cases. For as people we always want to distinguish between 1 versus another. Prejudice also hinders the free flow of ideas and dialogue. Let's hope evolution continues on its way to developing a better us.

Back
Top Bottom