Tujikumbushe philosophy

Kwetunikwetu

JF-Expert Member
Dec 23, 2007
Wadau nimeweka kipande kidogo tujikumbushe philosophy kidogo. Off course yote aliyouliza Alexander, the great alipokutana na hawa jamaa yeye binafsi alishayasoma kutoka katika greek philosophy (see Life of Eminent Philosopher by Diogenes). Je watawala wetu nao wanasoma kidogo au ndio bado viazi.....!

In this voyage, he (Alexander, the great) took ten of the Indian philosophers prisoners, who had been most active in persuading Sabbas to revolt, and had caused the Macedonians a great deal of trouble. These men, called Gymnosophists, were reputed to be extremely ready and succinct in their answers, which he made trial of, by putting difficult questions to them, letting them know that those whose answers were not pertinent, should be put to death, of which he made the eldest of them judge.
The first being asked which he thought most numerous, the dead or the living, answered, "The living, because those who are dead are not at all."
Of the second, he desired to know whether the earth or the sea produced the largest beast; who told him, "The earth, for the sea is but a part of it."
His question to the third was, Which is the cunningest of beasts? "That," said he, "which men have not yet found out."
He bade the fourth tell him what argument he used to Sabbas to persuade him to revolt. "No other," said he, "than that he should either live or die nobly."
Of the fifth he asked, Which was eldest, night or day? The philosopher replied, "Day was eldest, by one day at least." But perceiving Alexander not well satisfied with that account, he added, that he ought not to wonder if strange questions had as strange answers made to them.
Then he went on and inquired of the next, what a man should do to be exceedingly beloved. "He must be very powerful," said he, "without making himself too much feared."
The answer of the seventh to his question, how a man might become a god, was, "By doing that which was impossible for men to do."
The eighth he asked, what is stronger between life and death, the answer was "Life is stronger than death, because it supports so many miseries."
And the last being asked, how long he thought it decent for a man to live, said, "Till death appeared more desirable than life."
Then Alexander turned to him whom he had made judge, and commanded him to give sentence. "All that I can determine," said he, "is, that they have every one answered worse than another." "Nay," said the king, "then you shall die first, for giving such a sentence." "Not so, O king," replied the gymnosophist, "unless you said falsely that he should die first who made the worst answer."
In conclusion he gave them presents and dismissed them.

-Extracted from Parallel Lives by Plutarch

Not so, O king," replied the gymnosophist, "unless you said falsely that he should die first who made the worst answer."
In conclusion he gave them presents and dismissed them.

I am confused there ... if each answered worse than the other then the last one to answer must have given the worst answer .. isn't it?

I thanked fortune for three things: first of all, that I had been born a man and not a beast; secondly, that I am a man and not a woman; and thirdly, that I am a Greek and not a barbarian -Thales (the first man to be named wise)

Extracts from CHILON, a Lacedaemonian, the son of Damagetus Being asked in what educated men differed from those who were illiterate, he said, "In good hopes." Having had the question put to him, What was difficult, he said, "To be silent about secrets; to make good use of one's leisure, and to be able to submit to injustice." And besides these three things he added further, "To rule one's tongue, especially at a banquet, and not to speak ill of one's neighbours; for if one does so one is sure to hear what one will not like." He advised, moreover, "To threaten no one; for that is a womanly trick. To be more prompt to go to one's friends in adversity than in prosperity. To make but a moderate display at one's marriage. Not to speak evil of the dead. To honour old age.—To keep a watch upon one's self.—To prefer punishment to disgraceful gain; for the one is painful but once, but the other for one's whole life.—Not to laugh at a person in misfortune.—If one is strong to be also merciful, so that one's neighbours may respect one rather than fear one.—To learn how to regulate one's own house well.—Not to let one's tongue outrun one's sense.—To restrain anger.—Not to dislike divination.—Not to desire what is impossible.—Not to make too much haste on one's road.—When speaking not to gesticulate with the hand; for that is like a madman.—To obey the laws.—To love quiet."

Back
Top Bottom