Annan’s secret that made Kibaki sign deal

Updated 17 hr(s) 28 min(s) ago
Related Stories
A LEGACY OF SHAME
Annan: We must remain true to peace accord
What Kenyans have learnt a year after peace deal
Pull up your socks, Ngilu tells Kibaki and premier

By Martin Mutua

As Kenya swayed in the wind of post-election killings, displacements and dispossession in February, last year, a VIP ‘messenger’ in the person of Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwetu met Mr Mwai Kibaki. The day was February 26 and the leader whose declaration as winner of disputed presidential poll by Electoral Commission had refused to cede more than he had to his rival Mr Raila Odinga. Raila’s Orange Democratic Movement, which claimed its victory had been stolen, had put its last card on the table — they had reached the ‘irreducible minimum’.

With Government affairs being run by a half-Cabinet Kibaki formed as violence and protests escalated, the President’s team at the Serena Talks under Dr Kofi Annan vowed they would go no further. Annan called off the talks; the nation listened with trepidation.

Every eye and ear was on Serena – now there seemed little else to hope for. In any case ODM felt PNU, whose position had clearly said Raila should seek legal redress, was merely buying time to let the national anger and uncertainty dissipate before it could take a harder line. That evening Kibaki declared any power sharing would have to adhere to the Constitution, which vests executive power on the winner ECK declared.

Kikwete, then African Union chairman, until last month when he handed over to the Libyan leader, had one message for Kibaki and Raila. The two had variously spoken to then US President George Bush, British PM Gordon Brown, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon and heads of EU delegations, among others.

Through Annan and Kikwete the message came in quick succession: they would either play ball or the international community would move in.

United Nation peacekeepers

At the time the epicentre of violence was moving from western and North Rift to Naivasha and Nakuru. The prospect of a civil war was real.

As the country stood still, temperatures were boiling. Violence threatened to tear the country apart. Kibaki and Raila were about to agree a deal that would stop international players from agreeing to dispatch AU and United Nations peacekeepers. In effect it would have cast Kibaki as one who had lost control, and the consequence was also grim for Raila.

The options were shrinking fast for both sides. They were either going to lock hands and agree, or give international community the leeway to dictate terms.

Veteran journalist Salim Lone, who was Raila’s spokesman, said: "President Kikwete arrived with a clear message: unless there is a voluntary deal signed to stem the violence the international community would mobilise for immediate intervention."

"The realisation that international community placed a high premium on Kenya and threatened greater involvement helped to make President Kibaki and Raila change their minds to sign the deal," Lone said in interview with The Standard on Saturday, on Friday.

Annan was increasingly getting impatient with the two leaders’ refusal to resolve the impasse.

Cabinet Minister Mutula Kilonzo, who was among the team of negotiators told The Standard on Saturday, on Friday, confirmed the limited options Kibaki and Raila had.

This answers the question many have been asking: What made Kibaki change his mind hours after his team at Serena showed they would go no further, and when he himself had said the Constitution was the final arbiter?

"It was actually a threat that Annan issued straight to the principals to their faces that failure to agree then meant he was going to ask the world to come in, particularly because of the violence," Mutula said.

Mood changed

The minister said the matter was "so serious" Annan’s mood had changed from that of persuasive diplomacy to that of militancy –threatening the deployment of UN peacekeepers to quell the violence. The implication of having the UN peacekeepers would have meant Kenya had degenerated into a failed state.

Countries that have previously been under the UN peacekeeping forces include Sierra Leone, Liberia, Democratic Republic of Congo and Cambodia.

There were also threats from the international community the leaders who sabotage the talks would be slapped with travel bans.

Mutula further says the arrival of President Kikwete helped to bolster the deal.

Mutula said the presence of Kikwete by virtue of being the chairman of African Union was critical, as it helped to move the process.

He noted that aside, Kikwete was also a neighbour, a good friend of President Kibaki and more important, Tanzania already had a Prime minister.

Panel of Eminent Persons

The minister said Kikwete’s arrival was also critical in that Tanzania had been faced with disputed elections in Zanzibar, not so long ago and that there was need for Kikwete to share the experience of how they had resolved the problem.

Annan’s move to engage the two had been prompted by exchanges that had taken place the previous day. A member of the PNU negotiating team had engaged the Panel of Eminent persons in heated exchange. The exchange, according to sources, is understood to have let fly comments that stunned mediators before the talks were suspended.

A disappointed Annan is said to have decided to shift gears by engaging President Kibaki and Raila to advance the talks.

Deadlock

This emerged even as the US State Department announced that it was exploring "a wide range of possible actions" on Kenya in less than 24 hours after the deadlock.

Through the then US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice the US warned it would draw its own conclusions about who was responsible for the stalemate and take necessary steps.

Post of Prime minister

Rice also warned the US would exert pressure through the United Nations, African Union, European Union and others to ensure a political solution was reached.

But, with time running out and the Government and ODM negotiators engaging in heated exchanges, with attacks directed at the mediators, Annan decided to engage the principals.

Intense shuttle diplomacy and building of international pressure took over as Annan and his team met Kibaki at Harambee House office and then later Raila and his team at Pentagon House. Kikwete was forced to extend his two-day stay, underlying the urgency to restart the talks.

And a sign of good gesture ODM called off mass action and Kibaki announced through a PPS dispatch he was willing to create the post of Prime Minister and two deputies. The deal was just hours away – on February 28, on the frontal steps of Harambee House Kibaki and Raila signed it.

On Saturday, the three who were top of the presidential polls chart are ranking in the order of their performance

We Mnairobi, we do not have a president by the name "Kikwetwa" and he definitely is not a "messanger"!
It seems you have something vs TZ, are we a thorn in your side?
FYI Kikwete was not a messenger, that is just diplomatic jargon

nothing against tanzanians, its just that some here thought it was kikwete that did the trick, that he somehow convinced kibaki with his hard head

nothing against tanzanians, its just that some here thought it was kikwete that did the trick, that he somehow convinced kibaki with his hard head

It doesnt matter who thinks what! I am still puzzled how Kenyan are still stuck on kitu ya 1947 with our president, if i were a Kenyan i would put more thoughts on how to stop vote rigging and killing each other like that while for sure the winner was not Kibaki or Raila... it was Lucy

Take hoem point to Kenyans... Take care of you matters and forget about Kikwete or Kikwetwa or whoever from the south border, we are busy fighting ufisadi and protecting our land

Annan packed his bags,he was about to leave Nairobi. Suddenly.Raila and Kibaki changed their minds,and a compromise was reached.
No one threatened any one. This is the truth.

Take hoem point to Kenyans... Take care of you matters and forget about Kikwete or Kikwetwa or whoever from the south border, we are busy fighting ufisadi and protecting our land

Kiwete.. thats what I call him..LMFAO

Kiwete.. thats what I call him..LMFAO

OMG, LMFAO = Laughing My Fat Ass Off;??? for calling someone kiwete? take care you are not GOD and some people wamekuwa viwete ukubwani...

Mungu akuongoze smatta uishi salama maisha uliyobaki nayo

Last edited:
OMG, LMFAO = Laughing My Fat Ass Off;??? for calling someone kiwete? take care you are not Got and some people wamekuwa viwete ukubwani...

Mungu akuongoze smatta uishi salama maisha uliyobaki nayo

MTM,

Achana na hao jamaa wa Kenya..wamezoea lugha chafu, kejeli, dharau na maringo! Kweli waweza kuita LMFAO Raisi wa nchi ya Tz??

Sisi tuko poa tu..hatuna neno!

Ukiwa na jirani wa aina hiyo unamvumilia tu!

Nawapenda sana Waganda naona kama ni watu wastaarabu zaidi!

MTM,

Achana na hao jamaa wa Kenya..wamezoea lugha chafu, kejeli, dharau na maringo! Kweli waweza kuita LMFAO Raisi wa nchi ya Tz??

Sisi tuko poa tu..hatuna neno!

Ukiwa na jirani wa aina hiyo unamvumilia tu!

Nawapenda sana Waganda naona kama ni watu wastaarabu zaidi!

Thanks Mzalendohalisi; i dont mind their arrogance, anyone can be arrogant... it is easy! I am just saddened pale unapocheka neno kiwete ambalo kwa wengine linaweza kuwaumiza

Anyway point taken na ukishajua jirani yako ni domo taka, dawa ni kumdharau tu

vyovyote watakavyosema, wenye matatizo walikuwa wao. sisi hata yalikuwa hayatuumizi sana, tulikuwa tunajitahidi kuwapa msaada tu hawa wakabila. sasa kama wanaona sisi hatukufanya lolote, sisi hatupungukiwi na chochote, bado tunaendelea na amani,umoja na mshikamano wetu. na tutaendelea tu pamoja na kwamba, waliokuwa wametutangulia kidogo kimaendeleo wanatuonea wivu kwasababu tunakuja kasi sana kuwapiku. lakini hawana jinsi wala kodrai. itabidi wakubali tu, na ushindani huu wa maendeleo tz tutashinda tu. watz tuungane hivihivi muda wote, wao wanaofikiri matengeno yatawasaidia, waacheni waendelee kuwa wakabila. ila tunawashauri wajifunze kutokana na makosa.

wewe bana, I didnt in any way try to abuse the disabled, please stop twisting what I meant, to suit yo warped up minds.. I RESPECT the disabled and I can not say or do anything to harm them..
i was just trying to abuse your so called prezz.. and for yo info LMFAO, means laughin ma fcukin as.s off.. Endeni shule mwache utani

Last edited by a moderator:
wewe bana, I didnt in any way try to abuse the disabled, please stop twisting what I meant, to suit yo warped up minds.. I RESPECT the disabled and I can not say or do anything to harm them..
i was just trying to abuse your so called prezz.. and for yo info LMFAO, means laughin ma fcukin as.s off.. Endeni shule mwache utani

Sometimes Smatta makes me laugh,

While you respect disabled people by not abusing them, in other hands, you use their identity in abusing other people, before writing try to weigh your words!

Watch out! ingawa unatumia nick name hujafa hujaumbika na kiwete in any case haiwezekani likawa tusi!!!!!!! Ni identity halali ya binadam kama wewe na wengine wote.

Last edited by a moderator:
kweli ni smarter(ama kinyume chake?)maana anamaanisha 'not abusing but only using their disability abusing someone else'...nimechanganyikiwa nilipojaribu kumuelewa..kaaazi kwelikweli!!!

MODS, huyu Mungiki , S-IDIOT apewe server ban.

Yeye na incarnates wake, Munairobi, et al. , kwa mara kadhaa sasa, wanapenda sana kutuchokonoa waTZ kwenye web isiyowahusu, kwa kutumia maneno ya kejeli kwa nchi yetu, na hata kututweza hadi mtukufu Rais wetu. Kama wanataka wandelee kuwa wanachama inabidi waoneshe uungwana la sivyo mimi sioni sababu ya kuendelea kufuga maradhi. Waonesheni mlango ulipo please.

Ni hayo tu.

Thanks smatta, LMFAO was already elaborated in previous posts; just be advised that most of people in this forum wamesoma kuliko majority ya unaowajua hapo kwenu... watanzania tuna ustaarabu wa asili and always consider everyone as equal

If i were you, i would be making fun of Lucy for dragging your country leader and humiliate him right before citizens of the world

So, this is what you learned in school? You are what you know! By the way, you must have a big ass. isn't it? Are you gay?

Ati watanzanzania ni wastaarabu. That myth was slashed once i joined this forum. Did you read what zungu pule said. Damn!

Kukataa kuruhusu mambo ya ardhi kwao ni pigo kubwa...waganda wastaarabu sana that is obvious.
Lakini ili mambo yetu yaende hatuhitaji kupigiwa debe na wakenya..tufanye kama hawapo vile tujikite katika kuyamaliza matatizo yetu na kuijenga pia.

Back
Top Bottom