Regional News

Augustine Moshi

JF-Expert Member
Apr 22, 2006
I haven't seen a picture of Sumbawanga. I haven't been to the place. They need to a have a local newspaper there.

I am very thankful that there is Arusha Times. I visit them (at www.arushtimes.co.tz) every weekend. I know all about what is going on in Arusha. You see, you cannot depend on the Dar newspapers. They don't seem to have much interest in regional Tanzania.

We used to have a well established local paper in Kilimanjaro. It was called KOMKYA. Mwalimu banished it. That man resented anything that looked like a center of power. And news is power. It is time it was revived!

Mwalimu held all national news close to his chest. He personally appointed the Managing Editors of all the dailies and weeklies of the nation (all four of them). (Daily Noise, Sunday Noise, Uhuru and Mfanyakazi). But he remained Editor in Chief of them all.

I assume Mwanza has a daily, or at least a weekly. It is a city for Christ's sake! Does anyone know any applicable websites? I'd like to read about the joys and pains of my compatriots there.

It is unlikely that there are enough schooled people in Mtwara to start a daily there, but they too must find some way of sharing news among themselves and with the nation. A local radio might be a starting point. TV and newspapers could follow in a few years.

News stimulates progress. See how much the Brits and the Americans spend on global news networks. Many of us find Sumbawanga uninteresting because we never hear about the place. That would change with the establishment of a Rukwa weekly. For now, I only recall Sumbawanga as the place where Mwalimu used to banish those he considered to be political misfits. Not fair at all!

So, let there be news from the regions, as told by the regions. The bits and tits that we now get through Manzese based journalists is not even a reasonable strting point.

]

It is unlikely that there are enough schooled people in Mtwara to start a daily there, but they too must find some way of sharing news among themselves and with the nation. A local radio might be a starting point. TV and newspapers could follow in a few years.

Moshi,

As a Mtwarian, I am utterly offended with your assertion that Mtwara's resident are not educated, and thus there is no need to have daily newspaper. Contray to what you have stipulated, let me put it bluntly that there a lot of people in the South part of Tanzania who are educated, and by education I mean: primary, secondary as well College education. Frankly speaking , I finds your comments to be offensive,and worst of all, judgemental. It is this kinds of mentalities and prejudices toward certain people that can exacerbate violence and hatred. Moshi , you owe every Mtwarian an apology.

Moshi,

As a Mtwarian, I am utterly offended with your assertion that Mtwara's resident are not educated, and thus there is no need to have daily newspaper. Contray to what you have stipulated, let me put it bluntly that there a lot of people in the South part of Tanzania who are educated, and by education I mean: primary, secondary as well College education. Frankly speaking , I finds your comments to be offensive,and worst of all, judgemental. It is this kinds of mentalities and prejudices toward certain people that can exacerbate violence and hatred. Moshi , you owe every Mtwarian an apology.
Ndivyo ulivyoelewa?

It is unlikely that there aren't enough schooled people in Mtwara to start a daily there, but they too must find some way of sharing news among themselves and with the nation. A local radio might be a starting point. TV and newspapers could follow in a few years.
Pengine jamaa alilenga kuandika hivi. Hata hivyo, yeye mwenyewe akija online naamini atatetea au kurekebisha kauli yake.

LazyDog,

I firmly believe that Mr. Moshi meant what he said, and please don't try to spin around for him. I have reached that conclusion after analyzing his statement thoroughly .This is what he said; "It is unlikely that there are enough school people in Mtwara to start the daily there, BUT they too must find someway in sharing news among themselves." The more I read this statement, the angrier I became. This statement speaks for itself and doesn't need clarification , let alone explanation. I still stand by comments that he owes resident of the great region of Mtwara an apology.

Alichosema Moshi kuhusu Mtwara tunaweza kuchambua kwa literal meaning au kuchambua kama allegory.

Kama allegory, mikoa yote Tanzania ukiondoa Arusha hawana magazeti yao. Na sababu za kutokwepo magazeti zinafanana. Hakuna tofauti kati ya Rukwa, Mtwara, Dodoma, Singida etc.

Moshi,

Kunradhi mkuu,

Lakini nadhani the best way siyo kuwa na hasira na comment/maoni ya jamaa..baadala yake..mwambie mmefanya kitu gani tangible katika hiyo nyanja ya habari! Kwa kutumia huo usomi...the burden of proof is on you!

Huwezi kusema eti watu wa huo mkoa..au kwingineko wamesoma..yet you gat nothing to show for it. kama anavyosema-ga Mkandara..lazima tujikubali tulivyo kwanza. Ni kama western world wanatwambia kwamba we are "poor countries" tunalalama kwamba tunaonewa..eti tuitwe atleast "developing world"..lakini ukweli si unabaki pale pale? tunadevelop kweli..au tunarudi nyuma? Ni aibu useme kwamba kuna wasomi wengi Mtwara wakati..hamna cha kuthibitisha huo usemi wako. I know its painful..lakini ndo reality. Leo ukienda nje ukaambiwa kwamba Tanzania ni masikini wa kutupwa...ukalalama simply because una PHD ya Economics..watu watakushangaa..precisely because your PhD is useless..as far as changing or bettering your/and lives of your compatriots is concerned. Watakuuliza hiyo PhD umeitumia vipi kuifanya Tanzania ionekane kama yenye watu wenye hiyo PhD? Huna jibu!

Kuna ambaye anakubali kwamba statement ya Moshi imemaanisha kusema "Mtwara's resident are not educated"?
It is unlikely that there are enough schooled people in Mtwara to start a daily there, but they too must find some way of sharing news among themselves and with the nation.
Mwanzoni nilielewa vibaya hiyo statement kwenye bold. Ninaweza ku-rephrase kwa kusema "there are enough schooled people in Tanzania Cities to justify the need to start a daily Newspaper in/for each of these cities separately"

Please excuse my English :)

1. Sasa kwa nini Mkapa akikimbia kule akaenda kujenga Lushoto??

2. Ile sera ya majimbo vipi? Most of issues Moshi anayoongelea yatakuwa rahisi kama kuna majimbo. Ni kwa nini Mkuu wa Mkoa toka Sumbawanga aone uchungu na Wanatabora ..na wakati anaweza kuhamishwa saa yoyote ile na Jk??

MzalendoHalisi,

..Mkapa ana nyumba kijijini alikozaliwa. nakumbuka hata Kikwete aliwahi kumtembelea huko.

..nadhani wanaotakiwa kushikwa mashati ni wabunge. wengi wao they dont do anything kuboresha maisha ya wananchi waliowachagua.

..kama leo hii mikoa ya kusini ina matatizo, basi wakulaumiwa ni wakina Kawawa,Mkapa,Maokola-Majogo,Mbilinyi,Kingunge, Anna Abdalah, Mudhihir,Philip Magani...

NB:

..wa-Tanzania wengi pia wanaamini kwamba kiongozi bora ni yule ambaye jimbo lake limedorora kimaendeleo.

..ningekuwa na uwezo ningeanzisha utaratibu wa kumfuatilia kila mbunge na kumpa maksi/grade/daraja kulingana na maendeleo yaliyopatikana wakati wa uongozi wake.

Moshi,

Nakuunga mkono.Hata mimi nimetusika sana na kauli hii aisee...ngoja daraja la Umoja likamilike tuhamie Msumbiji, kumbe wanatuona hatujasoma. tehe te hee...Subiri waalimu wangu wa Shangani,Ligula, Chikongola na Rahaleo wasikie haya.

Last edited:
Rufiji,

..Dr.Moshi anaweza kuwa na "pointi" kwa maana ya kwamba wasomi wenye asili ya Mtwara na mikoa mingine ya Kusini hawaishi tena huko. wengi wamehamia miji mikubwa-mikubwa kama DSM, Arusha,Mwanza, au hata nje ya nchi.

..kwa msingi huo ukianzisha gazeti linalochapishwa kwa Kiingereza kama Arusha Times ktk maeneo hayo basi utaishia kupata hasara tu.

..tatizo hili la kutokuwa na wasomaji wa magazeti mikoani na haswa vijijini nadhani linaweza kuwa linachangiwa pia na matatizo ya kipato. siyo lazima liwe linatokana na ukosefu wa elimu na kutokujuwa kusoma na kuandika.

NB:

..kijijini kwetu watu hawanunui kabisa magazeti. wanasubiri tuliotoka mijini tuwaachie magazeti baada ya kumaliza kusoma.

Moshi,

I support you. What he said is a very common thing in Tanzania. You find that people from a certain region or area are perceived to be of a certain way. There is this behavior of generalizing people while you find someone knows only a very small fraction of those people or doesn't no any at all but is acting upon what he/she has heard. If you ask Moshi if he knows anyone from Mtwara or the education of anyone from Mtwara he probably wouldn't be able to answer. I think we should try and fight these labels and misconceptions but the honest truth is that his behavior is not uncommon, even if some people don't openly say. I feel your anger though because I feel the same way when someone says something about my region without knowing a damn thing about it.

Mwanafalsafa1,Rufiji,LazyDog,Dr.Moshi,Kwame,..

..kuna yeyote ana data za mauzo ya magazeti huko mikoani?

..tungezipata data hizo basi mjadala huu ungeweza kusonga mbele.

..vinginevyo tunaweza kuangalia data kama za poverty levels na literacy rates.

Mwanafalsafa1,Rufiji,LazyDog,Dr.Moshi,Kwame,..

..kuna yeyote ana data za mauzo ya magazeti huko mikoani?

..tungezipata data hizo basi mjadala huu ungeweza kusonga mbele.

..vinginevyo tunaweza kuangalia data kama za poverty levels na literacy rates.

Upo true mkuu. Let me try kama nita weza kupata. Ila hata kama iki gundulika ni kweli kuna kitu kinaitwa sensitivity. You don't just say it like you want to say it. He could have conveyed his message in a more diplomatic level. Sasa yeye ana tofauti gani na hao anao dai hawaja soma if he can't be diplomatic about his statements?

Moshi,

By the way you write your English, do you consider yourself educated?

ni msomi......

Moshi,

Cheki grammar hapo

News stimulates progress. See how much the Brits and the Americans spend on global news networks. Many of us find Sumbawanga uninteresting because we never hear about the place. That would change with the establishment of a Rukwa weekly. For now, I only recall Sumbawanga as the place where Mwalimu used to banish those he considered to be political misfits. Not fair at all!
mkuu hao S'wanga majuzi waliwashutumu wanaharakati kwa kile walichosema kuwa "wivu" wa ziara za JK majuu......walimpongeza na kumtakia vasco safi nyingine......

Cheki grammar hapo
ndio maana najiamulia kutumia kimatumbi......Rufiji ni PhD holder sema ya sayansi

Back
Top Bottom