Raila Pledges to find More Miraa market in Tanzania

OgwaluMapesa

JF-Expert Member
May 24, 2008
Prime Minister Raila Odinga has promised to explore more markets for miraa (khat) to boost the income of farmers in Meru North region.

Speaking when he toured the region on Saturday, Mr Odinga said the stimulant was not a drug and the government ought to look for more markets, especially in East Africa and Europe.

“I will talk to my friend Mr Jakaya Kikwete of Tanzania to seek more markets there. Miraa should be sold in many more markets.

“The twigs should not be classified as a drug. If it was a drug, our doctors would have said so,” he told residents who thronged the Maua Municipal Stadium.

The PM also promised to link the Mwingi-Isiolo-Moyale road with Maua to help residents transport the crop faster.

Mr Odinga was responding to appeals by area leaders who included Higher education assistant minister Kilemi Mwiria, Igembe South MP Mithika Linturi, Nyambene county council chairman Henry Mworia and former Igembe North MP Maoka Maore.

The PM also pledged Sh700 million for the construction of a drainage system.

Namuunga mkono Raila, sijui huyu Mzee (wanasema ana asili ya kisomali) Mrema, alipoipiga marufuku alikuwa full handas.

Wera wera Raila njoo uongee na mshikaji tuweze kula mirungi kwa uwazi zaidi,sasa hivi tunatafuna majumbani na club za usiku tu,halafu mirungi ni halali nchi zote majirani zetu na pia wakulima wa Haidaru watapata soko Kenya ambapo inapendwa.

Will his move stregthen the cooperation amongst the people of East Africa, Why should Oginga think the possiblity of a potential market of this deadly drug to our country. Why not Uganda or Rwanda. If this is true, then I am afraid we have timed bomb in the so called economic integration among East African countries. Wabongo tutoke usingizini tunakwenda na maji

Huyu Mzee nadhani kama angekuwa na Busara kwanza angeongea na rafiki yake J.K. kabla hajatoa hii statement in public

Will his move stregthen the cooperation amongst the people of East Africa, Why should Oginga think the possiblity of a potential market of this deadly drug to our country. Why not Uganda or Rwanda. If this is true, then I am afraid we have timed bomb in the so called economic integration among East African countries. Wabongo tutoke usingizini tunakwenda na maji
For your information Mirungi ni legal kila sehemu except Bongo nimeila Canada,UK na Japan.

Kwa namna yeyote miraa ni illicit drug ambayo ina madhara kwenye ubongo wa mwanadamu. Raila ameongea kisiasa tu ili kujenga ushawishi kwa ajili ya uchaguzi ujao mwakani. Hizo ni sawa na kuwaahidi wananchi wa Bukoba kuwa utawajengea international airport wakati kile cha Mwanza tu kiko kama nyumba ya bibi kizee

Speaking when he toured the region on Saturday, Mr Odinga said the stimulant was not a drug and the government ought to look for more markets, especially in East Africa and Europe.
"The twigs should not be classified as a drug. If it was a drug, our doctors would have said so," he told residents who thronged the Maua Municipal Stadium.

I am not the guy who pledges the banning of drugs.., hey even marijuana should maybe be sold in the pharmacies to responsible people who wants to use this drugs and if they can be responsible for their actions ..., but when Mr. Odinga says that this Mirungi has got no side effects I wonder how much research has been done....

[h=2]Health risks and benefits[/h]Immediate effects:
  • increased heart rate, breathing rate, body temperature, blood pressure
  • increased alertness, excitement, and energy
  • decreased appetite.
  • Cathinone has been found to produce coronary vasoconstriction due to the norephedrine metabolite activity upon ingestion. Therefore, Khat chewers have been found to have an increase incidence of myocardial infarction, possibly arising from vasospasms. (Reference: Al-Motarreb AL, Broadley KJ. Coronary and aortic vasoconstriction by cathinone, the active constituent of khat. Auton Autocoid Pharmacol. 2003 Oct-Dec;23(5-6):319-26.)
Long-term effects:
  • increases in severity of psychological problems (such as depression, paranoia, anxiety, irritation, and more severe psychological problems)
  • difficulty sleeping
  • impotence
  • gastrointestinal tract problems, such as constipation
  • inflammation of the mouth and other parts of the oral cavity
  • oral cancer.

Back
Top Bottom