OBAMA Got Game

Game Theory

Platinum Member
Sep 5, 2006
"The things a man must do to become president: Dec. 17, 7:43 a.m.: Barack Obama arrives at a Spencer, Iowa, YMCA for a one-on-one basketball game against SI senior writer S.L. Price. Obama notes the red-white and blue ball's resemblance to his campaign logo, the only time he makes mention of the looming Iowa caucuses."

_MG_0356.jpg

"As a young teen, Obama had the famous poster of a soaring Julius Erving affixed to his wall. He remembers it clearly: Dr. J's knee-braces, that right arm held high."

BF194245.jpg

"The Senator goes on the defensive."

BF194286.jpg

"The Senator attempts a rebound. Price politely attempts to crack his ribs."

BF194337.jpg

"Obama drives the lane, Price's defense resembling a man slurping soup."
BF194231.jpg

"Between games, Obama describes his deep basketball jones. Asked how it felt the first time he dunked on a 10-foot basket, he says, ''That was big. Sixteen [years old]: I still remember the day that it first happened, one of those magical days when you're just in a zone... I was on the single-A team, and at the end of practice I was just raining down threes; I went and took a half-court shot and it went in. This friend of mine, Larry Tavares -- I still remember, but of course he wouldn't -- he was shagging balls for me and I said, 'You know what? I bet I can dunk today; I'm feeling good.' and I took it and went.... (he mimics throwing a ball down). I did it about two more times, and that was about it.''"

BF194094.jpg

"Yes, Obama is a liberal Democrat, so no, it's no shock that he prefers to go left."

_MG_0415.jpg

"Obama tries to stop Price's intermittent rain of twos. Price may well have actually cleared five inches, vertical, on this shot."
IMG_0503.jpg

"Game over. Both thoroughly gassed, they're actually just trying to prop each other up."
BF194401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom