Mbeki agrees to resign - Democracy at work

Namfahamu Mzee Zuma Personal,na kwa wale wenye kumbukumbu Nzuri,Zuma alikuwa ni mmoja kati ya watu waliokuwa karibu na Mzee Mwakalindile na Maftah kwenye Ubalozi wetu Mozambique.Zuma ni mmoja wa Viongozi walioshiriki kwenye Mkataba wa NKOMATI huko Maputo,ambako alilazimika kuondoka Maputo 1984 na kuhamia Lusaka na baada ya Mwaka mmoja tu 1985 alikuwa Chief Intelligent Officer katika ofisi za ANC - Lusaka na kipindi hicho alikuwa anafanya kazi na Thabo Mbeki.

Mkuu Mwawado,

Heshima mbele na ubarikiwe maana hoja nzito sana, inatosha kwa leo mkuu pumzika maana this is pure giladi, and I love it!

..........hapo tumegunduwa kuwa ni vigumu rais kutawala vema kama hana base kwenye chama................mfano hapa kwetu kutenganisha nafasi ya mwenyekiti wa chama na rais...ukitokea mpasuko kama uliopo sasa kwa ccm mtandao na original...and say mwenyekiti wa chama asingekuwa kikwete...nahisi zamani sana kikwete angeshatemwa....ndio maana na yeye anajijenga sana kwenye chama......

pia naona uamuzi wa busara wa mwinyi na mkapa alipoingia kuachia uenyekiti kabla ya muda unafaa kuendela...ili kuleta stability..tusijeingia kwenye isue kama ya malawi ambapo ilimlazimu ...rais kuunda chama kipya......katiba ! katiba !

South Africa: Address to the Nation by President Thabo Mbeki

Fellow South Africans,
I have no doubt that you are aware of the announcement made yesterday by the National Executive Committee of the ANC with regard to the position of the President of the Republic.
Accordingly, I would like to take this opportunity to inform the nation that today I handed a letter to the Speaker of the National Assembly, the Honourable Baleka Mbete, to tender my resignation from the high position of President of the Republic of South Africa, effective from the day that will be determined by the National Assembly.
I have been a loyal member of the African National Congress for 52 years. I remain a member of the ANC and therefore respect its decisions. It is for this reason that I have taken the decision to resign as President of the Republic, following the decision of the National Executive Committee of the ANC.
I would like sincerely to thank the nation and the ANC for having given me the opportunity to serve in public office during the last 14 years as the Deputy President and President of South Africa.
This service has at all times been based on the vision, the principles and values that have guided the ANC as it prosecuted a difficult and dangerous struggle in the decades before the attainment of our freedom in 1994.
Among other things, the vision, principles and values of the ANC teach the cadres of this movement life-long lessons that inform us that wherever we are and whatever we do we should ensure that our actions contribute to the attainment of a free and just society, the upliftment of all our people, and the development of a South Africa that belongs to all who live in it.
This is the vision of a South Africa that is democratic, non-racial, non-sexist and prosperous; a country in which all the people enjoy a better life.
Indeed the work we have done in pursuit of the vision and principles of our liberation movement has at all times been based on the age-old values of Ubuntu, of selflessness, sacrifice and service in a manner that ensures that the interests of the people take precedence over our desires as individuals.
I truly believe that the governments in which I have been privileged to serve have acted and worked in the true spirit of these important values.
Based on the values of Ubuntu, the significance of which we learnt at the feet of such giants of our struggle as Chief Albert Luthuli, OR Tambo, Nelson Mandela and others, we as government, embarked, from 1994, on policies and programmes directed at pulling the people of South Africa out of the morass of poverty and ensuring that we build a stable, developed and prosperous country.
Accordingly, among many things we did, we transformed our economy, resulting in the longest sustained period of economic growth in the history of our country; we introduced an indigent policy that reaches large numbers of those in need; we made the necessary advances so as to bring about a developmental state, the better to respond to the many and varied challenges of the transformation of our country.
This is, of course not the occasion to record the achievements of government. An additional critical few are however worth mentioning. They include our achievements with regard to many of the Millennium Development Goals, the empowerment of women, the decision to allow us to host the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup and our election as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council two years ago.
Despite the economic advances we have made, I would be the first to say that even as we ensured consistent economic growth, the fruits of these positive results are still to be fully and equitably shared among our people, hence the abject poverty we still find coexisting side by side with extraordinary opulence.
Importantly, we had an obligation to ensure that democracy becomes the permanent feature of our lives and that all our citizens respect the rule of law and human rights. This is one of the cornerstones of our democracy, which we have consistently striven to protect and never to compromise.
We have also worked continuously to combat the twin challenges of crime and corruption, to ensure that all our people live in conditions of safety and security. We must admit that we are still faced with many challenges in this regard.
Work will therefore have to continue to strengthen and improve the functioning of our criminal justice system, to provide the necessary resources for this purpose, to activate the masses of our people to join the fight against crime and corruption, and to achieve new victories in the struggle for moral regeneration.
With regard to the latter, our successive governments from 1994 to date have worked consistently to encourage the entrenchment in our country of a value system whose observance would make all of us Proudly South African, a value system informed by the precept of Ubuntu – umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye. Among other things this means that we must all act in a manner that respects the dignity of every human being.
We have sought to advance this vision precisely because we understood that we would fail in the struggle to achieve the national and social cohesion that our country needs, as well as the national unity we require to enable us to act together to address the major challenges we face.
Fellow South Africans,
Since the attainment of our freedom in 1994, we have acted consistently to respect and defend the independence of the judiciary. For this reason our successive governments have honoured all judicial decisions, including those that went against the Executive. This did not mean that the Executive did not at times have strong views which we would have publicly pronounced upon. The central approach we adopted has always been to defend the judiciary rather than act in a manner that would have had a negative impact on its work.
Indeed, on the infrequent instances when we have publicly expressed views contrary to those of the judiciary, we have done so mindful of the need to protect its integrity.
Consistent with this practice, I would like to restate the position of Cabinet on the inferences made by the Honourable Judge Chris Nicholson that the President and Cabinet have interfered in the work the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA). Again I would like to state this categorically that we have never done this, and therefore never compromised the right of the National Prosecuting Authority to decide whom it wished to prosecute or not to prosecute.
This applies equally to the painful matter relating to the court proceedings against the President of the ANC, Comrade Jacob Zuma.
More generally, I would like to assure the nation that our successive governments since 1994 have never acted in any manner intended wilfully to violate the Constitution and the law. We have always sought to respect the solemn Oath of Office each one of us made in front of the Chief Justice and other judges, and have always been conscious of the fact that the legal order that governs our country was achieved through the sacrifices made by countless numbers of our people, which included death.
In this context it is most unfortunate that gratuitous suggestions have been made seeking to impugn the integrity of those of us who have been privileged to serve in our country’s National Executive.
Compatriots,
Again, as you know, we have often pointed to the fact that our liberation movement has always been pan-African in its outlook and therefore that we have an obligation to contribute to the renaissance of the African continent.
All of us are aware of the huge and daunting challenges that face our continent. In the short years since our freedom, as South Africans we have done what we could to make our humble contribution to the regeneration of our continent.
We have devoted time and resources to the task of achieving the Renaissance of Africa because this is what has informed generations of our liberators, even before the ANC was formed in 1912. We have done this fully understanding that our country shares a common destiny with the rest of our Continent.
I therefore thank the many dedicated compatriots – men and women – who have made it possible for us to contribute to the resolution of conflicts and the strengthening of democracy in a number of countries including the Kingdom of Lesotho, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi, Côte d’Ivoire, Comoros, Zimbabwe, Sudan and elsewhere. We have also done this work conscious of our responsibilities as a State Member of both SADC and the African Union.
I would like to thank my colleagues, the many Heads of State and Government on the African continent whose abiding vision is that Africa must be free; that all our countries, individually and collectively should become democratic, developed and prosperous, and that Africa must unite. These African patriots know as I do that Africa and Africans will not and must not be the wretched of the earth in perpetuity.
Similarly we have worked to contribute to the achievement of the aspirations of the countries and peoples of the South, conscious of the need for us to act in solidarity and in unity with the billions with whom we share the common challenge to defeat poverty and underdevelopment.
Accordingly, I depart the Office of President of South Africa knowing that this country has many men and women who have dedicated their lives to ensure that South Africa, Africa and the countries of the South will, in time, manage to ensure a better world for all of humanity.
I depart this Office conscious that the sterling work done by the Presidency, the Ministries and departments, the provinces and local government structures will continue, driven by the determination to achieve the goal of a
I am convinced that the incoming administration will better the work done during the past 14-and-half years so that poverty, underdevelopment, unemployment, illiteracy, challenges of health, crime and corruption will cease to define the lives of many of our people.
I have received many messages from South Africans, from all walks of life, through e-mails, telephonically and through cell phone text messages as well as those conveyed through my colleagues. I thank all of you, fellow South Africans, for these messages.
To everyone, and responding to these messages, I would like to say that gloom and despondency have never defeated adversity. Trying times need courage and resilience. Our strength as a people is not tested during the best of times. As we said before, we should never become despondent because the weather is bad nor should we turn triumphalist because the sun shines.
For South Africa to succeed there is more work to be done and I trust that we will continue to strive to act in unity to accelerate the advance towards the achievement of our shared national goals.
In this regard, it may be worth repeating what I said during the inauguration of the President of the Republic in 1999. Using the metaphor of the Comrades Marathon, I said then that:
“Those who complete the course will do so only because they do not, as fatigue sets in, convince themselves that the road ahead is still too long, the inclines too steep, the loneliness impossible to bear and the prize itself of doubtful value.”
Once more, I thank you most sincerely for affording me the opportunity to serve you and to serve the people of Africa.
Thank you, Ngiyathokoza, Ke ya Lebogang, Ndo livhuwa, Ndiyabulela, Ndza khensa, Baie dankie, Ngiyabonga

I was and still am touched by the Former SA President's speech.I t is a speech that on its own will remain to be an important reference to all African political and state leaders.

Mbeki in my opinion had his normal human faults but on the other hand he was one of the very few commited African leaders.During his time in power massive advancements were witnessed in SA.Although majority of Black South Africans are still poor, Mbeki's role in aleviating poverty and turning SA into a powerful and fsat growing economy is evident.

As mbeki resigns i pitty for this country because of one fact.Zuma's support of majority jobless black Africans is great but not reliable.Zuma is for sure the next President but the support he has from the majority is just a kindle light,it is not going to last long.

The majority supporting Zuma are poor, jobless and militant above all.What they want most is to see no more whites and no more immigrants in SA.This is what they want and unfortunately Mbeki could not and he surely was not going to give that to them.They have hope in Zuma that as walike as he is he is not going to hesitate to do what they will command him to do.

Zuma can be happy that he is supported but he can not rest assured that he will take SA from where Mbeki has left it to the next level of development.It will be difficult because once he takes the country he will have to do what his supporters want badly.SA currency( Rand) is powerful and investors are pumping in thir money because Mbeki's regime created an environment for it.In doing so we shall witness the emergency of a political maniac similar to that of Zimbabwe.I do not pray for that but that is what the future of SA is being promised.

My prayers is that Zuma will be intelligent enough not to promise and not to practice what will take SA back to square one.

I appreciate what Mbeki has done and wish every African leader will get alesson or two from his brave decision.
Zuma is another son of Africa, commited and ready to drive SA to prosperity.He can only succeed after realizing that SA'n economy is where it is because everyone who leaves and works there has a significant contribution.

Majority black South Africans have all opportunities they need to get rid of illiteracy and poverty and there is no shortcut in achieving it.This is the lesson they haven not passed!

Baada ya kusoma tena kwa undani habari za huyu Mzee Zuma naona tunafundishwa aina mbili kubwa za wapiganaji: Wapiganaji wa kitabuni (ama ofisini, wao hukaa kurudia nadharia walizosoma na kunukuu maandishi ya wanafalsafa wahutubiapo, aghalabu hayana mvuto sana kwa wananchi wa "kawaida"), na wapiganaji wa "uwanjani" (au wa kwenye field) ambao wanashiriki bega kwa bega na wapambanaji wa mstari wa mbele. Ni wachache sana wenye uwezo wa kuingia nyanja zote mbili, ya kitabu na ya uwanjani kama Mzee Mandela, ambaye kwa Afrika hana mshindani. Huyu mzee Zuma inaonekana alipatia umaarufu katika uwanja wa mapambano, na hata awe na kasoro gani, ni vigumu sana kumfuta kwenye nyoyo za wananchi wa kawaida, maadamu walichokuwa wanakipigania bado kinahitaji mtu wa kukisimamia na kukamilisha lile lengo lao la mapambano. Hawa "wasomi" kina Mbeki na wenzie watakubalika miongoni mwa wazungu na wale wachache walioona kurasa za vitabu, ambao takwimu za "kukua kwa uchumi" wanazielewa, lakini si kwa wapiga kura walio wengi, ndio maana ukishindanisha Mbeki na Zuma wapiga kura hawapepesi macho, ni Zuma tu! Kwa maslahi ya nchi yao, ingewafaa wananchi hao kutafuta namna ya kuhakikisha kuwa wapiganaji wa aina zote mbili wanakuwapo ndani ya serikali kwa kuwa wanategemeana. Kuna hatari sana ya kuwa na kiongozi anayepelekwa tu na upepo wa kelele za kushangiliwa na wananchi, anaweza kujikuta anaendesha nchi kiholela na kuipeleka pabaya. Vivyohivyo ni hatari sana kuwa na kiongozi anayeangalia nadharia za vitabuni tu na kupuuza sauti za wananchi, anaweza kujikuta wananchi wanashindwa kujizuia wanafanya fujo (kama zile za xenophobia tulizosikia), na hata migogoro dhidi ya tabaka tawala, mapinduzi na umwagaji damu. Viongozi wa aina ya Zuma si wa kupuuzwa na kuitwa majina mabaya kama hayo ya "illiterate" nk, badala yake ni wa kutumiwa optimally, wanao mchango mkubwa kwa taifa kama energy waliyo nayo itachotwa na kutumiwa ipasavyo.

Sure man!
Kwa hatua ambayo Zuma amefikia, he deserve to be given a chance. Kwa mapungufu yake yoyote yatakayodhihirika baadae, naamini haitakuwa ngumu kumuengua kama ambavyo imefanyika kwa Mbeki. Iwapo kwa kufanya hivi kuna hasara kubwa kuliko faida kwa nchi, ni matumaini yangu kwamba wa-south-Africa watachagua chama kingine kilicho makini.

Kinachotokea SA nakilinganisha na kinachotokea UK (Mr. Brown). Kwamba shinikizo linatoka kwenye chama (alicho Raisi) pale kinapoona kiongozi wao anakwenda kombo.

so zuma ni kama kikwete wetu....na mbeki ni aina ya mkapa.........

Labda umfananishe Zuma na mtu mwingine lakini sio Kikwete.
U-popularity wa Kikwete ni wa sura tu na uswahili.

..........hapo tumegunduwa kuwa ni vigumu rais kutawala vema kama hana base kwenye chama................mfano hapa kwetu kutenganisha nafasi ya mwenyekiti wa chama na rais...ukitokea mpasuko kama uliopo sasa kwa ccm mtandao na original...and say mwenyekiti wa chama asingekuwa kikwete...nahisi zamani sana kikwete angeshatemwa....ndio maana na yeye anajijenga sana kwenye chama......

pia naona uamuzi wa busara wa mwinyi na mkapa alipoingia kuachia uenyekiti kabla ya muda unafaa kuendela...ili kuleta stability..tusijeingia kwenye isue kama ya malawi ambapo ilimlazimu ...rais kuunda chama kipya......katiba ! katiba !

Sina hakika na unachojaribu kushawishi. Kwa nini Kikwete asitemwe, mi naona hiyo ingefaa sana kupunguza stupidity na kuongeza uwajibikaji. Kwa mfumo wetu ulivyo tunawapa viongozi nafasi ya kufanya blunders na abuse za ajabu kama vile kuingilia haki na uhuru wa mahakama.

Huyo Jacob Zuma ana watoto na wanawake kama utitiri vile......I am sure he will not make a good President of RSA...Take my worlds. Moral standards are very essential to make someone a good leader. Someone whose brain is over-burdened by sexual desires and lust can not concentrate on thinking about difficult issues for national interests.
His brain would rather do/think about simple issues...There are vivid examples for this!

Take my words! Cry beloved Africa!!!

ZUMA hakuna kitu

Zuma ni MZURU na ndio kabila kubwa na ndio kabila wasiotaka kwenda shule ,wao wanataka raha bila kuhangaika.

Hawa wazuru ndio wameua na kuchomea ndugu zetu mahala pa kuishi wakidai wageni wanawachukulia kazi zao wakati wenyewe hawaendi shule.

Hilo lakuua na kutimua wageni ni SIASA chafu za ZUMA zidi ya mbeki ili kuonesha tu Mbeki kashindwa.

Zuma ameahidi wazuru wenzake wasio na shule ajira milioni kadhaa kwa kutimua wageni.

Zuma anaendesha kampeni kama za MTANDAO CCM akipata sapoti ya wazuru wasio na shule.
Afrika kusini itaporomoka kiuchumi siku za karibuni maana imeiga siasa za TANZANIA.

We don't want a banana republic - Tutu

By Archbishop Desmond Tutu

I AM deeply disturbed by recent events in our beloved county.

The so-called recalling of the President of our land (Thabo Mbeki) fits the pattern of the settling of scores and the throwing about of weight that has happened post-Polokwane.

Why sack two Premiers with only a few months of their terms left to run and then to re-employ one of them in the Presidency if it is not to prove that there are new cocks of the walk?

Why humiliate the nation’s President in this fashion like the two Premiers with only a few months of his term of office left and that without giving him the chance to respond to any charges that the NEC might have laid?

Ironically, one of the reasons Judge Nicholson declared Mr Jacob Zuma’s indictment invalid was that the NPA had not afforded him the right to explain why he should not be charged.

President Mbeki has scored many significant achievements in our economy and in promoting peace in Africa, most recently in Zimbabwe. But he has made many enemies even within his party for his intolerance of challenges and dissent. South Africa puzzled many of our friends by odd foreign policy decisions that betrayed our history on his watch.

Those enemies have got their revenge and are gloating as they rub his nose in the mud. There is nothing principled about that. It is good old fashioned tit for tat. It is arrogant, cynical opportunism, that at one moment they can, when judges find against them, call the judges “part of a counter-revolution” and when they do find in their favour represent “judicial triumph”.

It is possible that a post-Polokwane purge will hurt some people who could also be plotting their revenge one day. Our country deserves better. The way of retribution leads to a banana republic.

I am deeply disturbed that the nation, the State, South Africa, has been subordinated to a political party. “South Africa belongs to all who live in it”; not to any political formation, however powerful.

Perhaps now we will call for changes in our Constitution. Let our President be elected directly by all South Africans and let us abolish party lists. They are pernicious and produce sycophants.

Let our representatives be elected directly by their constituencies. If the reports are accurate that Mr Zuma did not participate in this distressing debate and opposed the “recall” of his comrade, then I commend him warmly.

I pray that we will return to civility in our public discourse. Politicians must remember that even the most powerful parties bite the dust at some point especially when they forget those who put them in power.

We have a wonderful country with wonderful people of all races. For goodness sake let us not sabotage it.

Let us remember that the Freedom Charter declares: "The people shall govern."

Please let us, the elders, not go to our graves with broken hearts.

Hivi hawa kina Zuma na kampani yake wamesoma huu ujumbe wa askofu Tutu? Unagusa sana, yaani unayo harufu na ladha yenye mvuto wa kizalendo. Hawa jamaa watakuja kuharibu hii nchi, na watasababishia waafrika wote kashfa nzito kabisa ya kusababisha ionekane ni mzungu tu ndiye anayeweza kutawala nchi vizuri. Hakika wanahitaji tena msaada, kama tulivyowapa wakati ule wakipigania uhuru.

Hear is his speech to the nation for in acceptance

South Africa: Address to the Nation by President Thabo Mbeki

Fellow South Africans, I have no doubt that you are aware of the announcement made yesterday by the National Executive Committee of the ANC with regard to the position of the President of the Republic.
Accordingly, I would like to take this opportunity to inform the nation that today I handed a letter to the Speaker of the National Assembly, the Honourable Baleka Mbete, to tender my resignation from the high position of President of the Republic of South Africa, effective from the day that will be determined by the National Assembly.
I have been a loyal member of the African National Congress for 52 years. I remain a member of the ANC and therefore respect its decisions. It is for this reason that I have taken the decision to resign as President of the Republic, following the decision of the National Executive Committee of the ANC.
I would like sincerely to thank the nation and the ANC for having given me the opportunity to serve in public office during the last 14 years as the Deputy President and President of South Africa.
This service has at all times been based on the vision, the principles and values that have guided the ANC as it prosecuted a difficult and dangerous struggle in the decades before the attainment of our freedom in 1994.
Among other things, the vision, principles and values of the ANC teach the cadres of this movement life-long lessons that inform us that wherever we are and whatever we do we should ensure that our actions contribute to the attainment of a free and just society, the upliftment of all our people, and the development of a South Africa that belongs to all who live in it.
This is the vision of a South Africa that is democratic, non-racial, non-sexist and prosperous; a country in which all the people enjoy a better life.
Indeed the work we have done in pursuit of the vision and principles of our liberation movement has at all times been based on the age-old values of Ubuntu, of selflessness, sacrifice and service in a manner that ensures that the interests of the people take precedence over our desires as individuals.
I truly believe that the governments in which I have been privileged to serve have acted and worked in the true spirit of these important values.
Based on the values of Ubuntu, the significance of which we learnt at the feet of such giants of our struggle as Chief Albert Luthuli, OR Tambo, Nelson Mandela and others, we as government, embarked, from 1994, on policies and programmes directed at pulling the people of South Africa out of the morass of poverty and ensuring that we build a stable, developed and prosperous country.
Accordingly, among many things we did, we transformed our economy, resulting in the longest sustained period of economic growth in the history of our country; we introduced an indigent policy that reaches large numbers of those in need; we made the necessary advances so as to bring about a developmental state, the better to respond to the many and varied challenges of the transformation of our country.
This is, of course not the occasion to record the achievements of government. An additional critical few are however worth mentioning. They include our achievements with regard to many of the Millennium Development Goals, the empowerment of women, the decision to allow us to host the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup and our election as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council two years ago.
Despite the economic advances we have made, I would be the first to say that even as we ensured consistent economic growth, the fruits of these positive results are still to be fully and equitably shared among our people, hence the abject poverty we still find coexisting side by side with extraordinary opulence.
Importantly, we had an obligation to ensure that democracy becomes the permanent feature of our lives and that all our citizens respect the rule of law and human rights. This is one of the cornerstones of our democracy, which we have consistently striven to protect and never to compromise.
We have also worked continuously to combat the twin challenges of crime and corruption, to ensure that all our people live in conditions of safety and security. We must admit that we are still faced with many challenges in this regard.
Work will therefore have to continue to strengthen and improve the functioning of our criminal justice system, to provide the necessary resources for this purpose, to activate the masses of our people to join the fight against crime and corruption, and to achieve new victories in the struggle for moral regeneration.
With regard to the latter, our successive governments from 1994 to date have worked consistently to encourage the entrenchment in our country of a value system whose observance would make all of us Proudly South African, a value system informed by the precept of Ubuntu – umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye. Among other things this means that we must all act in a manner that respects the dignity of every human being.
We have sought to advance this vision precisely because we understood that we would fail in the struggle to achieve the national and social cohesion that our country needs, as well as the national unity we require to enable us to act together to address the major challenges we face.
Fellow South Africans,
Since the attainment of our freedom in 1994, we have acted consistently to respect and defend the independence of the judiciary. For this reason our successive governments have honoured all judicial decisions, including those that went against the Executive. This did not mean that the Executive did not at times have strong views which we would have publicly pronounced upon. The central approach we adopted has always been to defend the judiciary rather than act in a manner that would have had a negative impact on its work.
Indeed, on the infrequent instances when we have publicly expressed views contrary to those of the judiciary, we have done so mindful of the need to protect its integrity.
Consistent with this practice, I would like to restate the position of Cabinet on the inferences made by the Honourable Judge Chris Nicholson that the President and Cabinet have interfered in the work the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA). Again I would like to state this categorically that we have never done this, and therefore never compromised the right of the National Prosecuting Authority to decide whom it wished to prosecute or not to prosecute.
This applies equally to the painful matter relating to the court proceedings against the President of the ANC, Comrade Jacob Zuma.
More generally, I would like to assure the nation that our successive governments since 1994 have never acted in any manner intended wilfully to violate the Constitution and the law. We have always sought to respect the solemn Oath of Office each one of us made in front of the Chief Justice and other judges, and have always been conscious of the fact that the legal order that governs our country was achieved through the sacrifices made by countless numbers of our people, which included death.
In this context it is most unfortunate that gratuitous suggestions have been made seeking to impugn the integrity of those of us who have been privileged to serve in our country's National Executive.
Compatriots,
Again, as you know, we have often pointed to the fact that our liberation movement has always been pan-African in its outlook and therefore that we have an obligation to contribute to the renaissance of the African continent.
All of us are aware of the huge and daunting challenges that face our continent. In the short years since our freedom, as South Africans we have done what we could to make our humble contribution to the regeneration of our continent.
We have devoted time and resources to the task of achieving the Renaissance of Africa because this is what has informed generations of our liberators, even before the ANC was formed in 1912. We have done this fully understanding that our country shares a common destiny with the rest of our Continent.
I therefore thank the many dedicated compatriots – men and women – who have made it possible for us to contribute to the resolution of conflicts and the strengthening of democracy in a number of countries including the Kingdom of Lesotho, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi, Côte d'Ivoire, Comoros, Zimbabwe, Sudan and elsewhere. We have also done this work conscious of our responsibilities as a State Member of both SADC and the African Union.
I would like to thank my colleagues, the many Heads of State and Government on the African continent whose abiding vision is that Africa must be free; that all our countries, individually and collectively should become democratic, developed and prosperous, and that Africa must unite. These African patriots know as I do that Africa and Africans will not and must not be the wretched of the earth in perpetuity.
Similarly we have worked to contribute to the achievement of the aspirations of the countries and peoples of the South, conscious of the need for us to act in solidarity and in unity with the billions with whom we share the common challenge to defeat poverty and underdevelopment.
Accordingly, I depart the Office of President of South Africa knowing that this country has many men and women who have dedicated their lives to ensure that South Africa, Africa and the countries of the South will, in time, manage to ensure a better world for all of humanity.
I depart this Office conscious that the sterling work done by the Presidency, the Ministries and departments, the provinces and local government structures will continue, driven by the determination to achieve the goal of a
I am convinced that the incoming administration will better the work done during the past 14-and-half years so that poverty, underdevelopment, unemployment, illiteracy, challenges of health, crime and corruption will cease to define the lives of many of our people.
I have received many messages from South Africans, from all walks of life, through e-mails, telephonically and through cell phone text messages as well as those conveyed through my colleagues. I thank all of you, fellow South Africans, for these messages.
To everyone, and responding to these messages, I would like to say that gloom and despondency have never defeated adversity. Trying times need courage and resilience. Our strength as a people is not tested during the best of times. As we said before, we should never become despondent because the weather is bad nor should we turn triumphalist because the sun shines.
For South Africa to succeed there is more work to be done and I trust that we will continue to strive to act in unity to accelerate the advance towards the achievement of our shared national goals.
In this regard, it may be worth repeating what I said during the inauguration of the President of the Republic in 1999. Using the metaphor of the Comrades Marathon, I said then that:
"Those who complete the course will do so only because they do not, as fatigue sets in, convince themselves that the road ahead is still too long, the inclines too steep, the loneliness impossible to bear and the prize itself of doubtful value."
Once more, I thank you most sincerely for affording me the opportunity to serve you and to serve the people of Africa.
Thank you, Ngiyathokoza, Ke ya Lebogang, Ndo livhuwa, Ndiyabulela, Ndza khensa, Baie dankie, Ngiyabonga

Kinachotokea SA nakilinganisha na kinachotokea UK (Mr. Brown). Kwamba shinikizo linatoka kwenye chama (alicho Raisi) pale kinapoona kiongozi wao anakwenda kombo.

Hiki chama cha mafisadi, tukimweka Raisi pembeni kwanza; nini kinaweza kupelekea Makamba kwa mfano, kushinikizwa kujiuzulu wadhifa wake? Ni mpaka achemshe kiasi gani?

[QUOTE=Kithuku;290270]Hivi hawa kina Zuma na kampani yake wamesoma huu ujumbe wa askofu Tutu? Unagusa sana, yaani unayo harufu na ladha yenye mvuto wa kizalendo. Hawa jamaa watakuja kuharibu hii nchi, na watasababishia waafrika wote kashfa nzito kabisa ya kusababisha ionekane ni mzungu tu ndiye anayeweza kutawala nchi vizuri. Hakika wanahitaji tena msaada, kama tulivyowapa wakati ule wakipigania uhuru.[/QUOTE]

Kathuku, umesema yote...wengi wetu waliona ni vema kutekeleza demokrasia kwa mtindo huo. Lakini kwa kweli inabidi tujiulize kama demokrasia inaweza kufanya kazi katika mazingira yote?

In my opinion, democracy may fail in some environment, and may cause harm far worse than dictatorship.

Siasa zetu bado ni za woga sana. Hapa nyumbani, wengi wa walio katika nafasi za kumwambia rais hivyo, wamefika hapo walipo kwa fadhila za rais na chama chao, hivyo si rahisi wakafikia hatua hiyo.
Lakini inabidi pia tuangalie na mfumo wetu. Ninavyofahamu, rais wa SA hachaguliwi na wananchi moja kwa moja isipokuwa kila chama kinataja jina la kiongozi wake atakayekuwa rais na kikipata kura nyingi hutyo ndoye anayekuwa rais baada ya kuthibitishwa na Bunge. Kwa msingi huu, Bunge lina mamlaka makubwa sana ya kumwajibisha rais iwapo ataonekana kukosea.
Hapa kweli na mfumo wa winner takes all, ni vigumu sana kwa Bunge kuchukua hatua kama hii. Ingawa katiba ina ruhusu Bunge kupiga kura ya kutokuwa na imani na rais, lakini majaliwa na Bunge pia yapo mikononi mwa rais, hivyo akiona linamtishia maisha yake, anaweza kulivunja wakati wowote!

Ni kweli mpita njia siasa zetu zimegubikwa na uoga.Watanzania wengi wamekuwa wepesi sana wa kulalamika pale mabo yanapokuwa mabaya lakini ni wachache sana tunaodiriki kuchukua hatua kurekebisha hali.

Kwa upande wa pili mfumo wetu wa utawala hautoi ruhusa kwa kila raia kutekeleza wajibu wake na kupata haki yake kikatiba.Chama dola (CCM) kimeugeuza uongozi wa nchi kumezwa na nguvu na matakwa ya chama hivyo inakuwa ngumu asiyekuwa wa chama husika kusema kinyume cha kile kinachotendwa na watawala wa chama tawala.

Mihimili mingine ya dola ukiachilia mbali executive (parliament and judiciary) nayo yanafanya kazi chini ya mgandamizo wa matakwa ya chama dola.

Nimeeleza hali ilivyo kusudi tunapotafakari juu ya uamuzi wa Mbeki na Anc kwa upande mwingine na kama CCM inacho cha kujifunza, tutafakari pia jinsi mfumo wa utawala hapa kwetu ulivvyo kikwazo cha kuifikia demokrasia ya kweli.

People shall govern..so the saying goes.

Mimi nina mtizamo tofauti kuhusu hili swala zima.

Nadhani kusema kwamba Zuma ameamua kufanya whitch hunt dhidi ya Mbeki ni kutomtendea haki kabisa comrade JZ. Hivi tujikumbushe kidogo.

1. 2005 Zuma alifukuzwa kazi mbele ya bunge kama naibu raisi wa South Africa bila hata kupewa nafasi ya kujieleza. kosa ni kwamba alikuwa ametajwa kwenye kesi ya Schabir yule advisor wake ingawa hakukuwa na ushahidi wowote (soma judgement utaona). guilty by association. ilikuwa ni humilliation kubwa mno dhidi ya Zuma. Media was no where to defend Zuma. Jamaa akarudi kwenye drawing board. Infact we were told by "Experts on African affairs" who frequent BBC and CNN kwamba politically Zuma was dead!

2. Mbeki ilikuwa amalize mda wa uraisi wake 2009, lakini mwaka jana akaamua kugombea uraisi wa ANC lengo likiwa ni ku-influence mrithi wake..na katika list ya Mbeki Zuma alikuwa amepigwa kikumbo. Infact Mbeki alikuwa ameshatangaza kwamba baada yake ni mwanamke akimaanisha Makamu wake wa sasa Phumzile Ngcuka (which to me is no problem, only atakavyopatikana). Zuma akasema twende kwa wananchi waamue. na kumbuka huyu mama ni makamu wa raisi harafu mume wake Bulelani Ngcuka ndo alikuwa mwendesha mashataka mkuu wa serikali..akiendesha juhudi za kumshataki Zuma! Despita heavy weighters wote hawa waliokuwa dhidi yake..Zuma alishinda ingawa aliwekewa all sorts of obstacles na serikali ya Mbeki.

3. Jamaa kafunguliwa kesi lukuki..za rushwa, za kubaka etc..lakini Mungu wake si athmani jamaa anazidi kuwa proved innocent. Sasa jamani kosa la Zuma ni lipi?

4. Ukweli ni kwamba utawala wa Mbeki umewatenga wavuja jasho ambao uhuru ulipiganiwa in their name. Do you think all those people who elected Zuma as ANC President dont know what is good for their country? And to me Mbeki is no different na viongozi wengi wa kiafrika ambao agenda yao ni kuwaridhisha wazungu....tukishapewa takwimu zilizopikwa na hawa wazungu..basi the president is doing a good job...hata kama reality on the ground ni tofauti!

5. Lets face it, tatizo hili swala la Mbeki wengi tunaliangalia kama elites..ohh uchumi umekuwa, investors confidence, capital flow na mengine mengi..lakini hayo mnayoyasema yanamfaidisha nani? To me..if the common mwananchi is not on board..hizo capital ni bora zikarudi huko zilikotoka..ni unyonyaji. We have seen in it in Bongo..eti uchumi umekuwa, madini yanachimbwa, investments na bla blah kibao..lakini reality is..mwananchi wa kawaida anazidi kuwa maskini. SASA HUO UCHUMI UNAMSAIDIA NANI?

6. KUMBUKA IMF, WB, US, EU OR UK HAWAKUMUWEKA MBEKI PALE UNION BUILDING(IKULU)! alichaguliwa na wasouth Africa...sasa iweje leo..success zake zipimwe kwa uwezo wake wa kuwaridhisha wazungu? Inauma saana..ambapo wananchi wa Africa we are no longer a legitimate constitutent katika utawala. ni kama TZ...as long as Bush anamsifia JK..basi sisi wananchi hatuna la kusema (infact tulishaambiwa hivyo kwamba JK matunda yake yanaonwa na wazungu..wanaozidi kutupa misaada..) what a shame!

7. People have already started condemning Zuma..ohh..hakusoma, hawezi kuendeleza nchi, ni muhuni na mengine mengi, lakini jee..huoni kwamba hamumtendei haki??? To me Zuma is a fighter! na anakubalika na wananchi. Kama Mbeki ni kiongozi shupavu, mbona wananchi walimkataa kule Polokwane?? Lets face it..Mbeki alijitahidi kumchimbia kaburi Zuma lakini akakuta jamaa naye ni kichwa!

8. All in all I know leadership is not an easy mission. But just like Mbeki, Zuma will be a great leader. Ukisoma speech za viongozi wa Afrika utasema hawa jamaa they mean good. But ukweli tunaujua wananchi ambao tunayaishi maisha ya kila siku chini ya tawala za hawa watu.

8. Kama investors confidence will fall, just because Mbeki katoka madarakani au Zuma ameingia madarakani..basi hao wawekezaji warudi huko huko ulaya ambako confidence iko juu! After all tangu lini mzungu akawa na nia njema na waafrika zaidi ya raslimali zao? Kwani walikuja kutuchagulia viongozi au kuwekeza?

I say, Adieu Comrade Mbeki!

Ni jambo la kukatisha tamaa kama wanasiasa wanaoaminika Duniani na Africa kama Mbeki kuachia ngazi za uongozi.Ninadhani washauri wake walimshauri vibaya. Je Bara letu la Afrika na nchi zake zinaelekea wapi?

Kathuku, umesema yote...wengi wetu waliona ni vema kutekeleza demokrasia kwa mtindo huo. Lakini kwa kweli inabidi tujiulize kama demokrasia inaweza kufanya kazi katika mazingira yote?

In my opinion, democracy may fail in some environment, and may cause harm far worse than dictatorship.

It depends,
Mbeki used both approaches. Alianza kwa kufanya maneuver.

Mkuu Masanja, heshima mbele mkuu!

Nimekusoma, una argument nzuri, lakini nyingi ya hizo naona zimekuwa misplaced. Umekuwa ukimshambulia Mbeki na mfumo wa uchumi uliokubalika na ANC, na kumkweza Zuma kwa namna unayoiona wewe.

Mimi, na watu wengi tu hata ndani ya South Africa, ikiwa ni pamoja na critics wa MBEKI, na hata Vyama vya upinzani vya kule, vimekasirishwa sana na namna ANC ilivyolishughulikia suala hili. wengi wanasema maneno kama "I dont like Mbeki, but this is not right..." unadhani ni kwa nini?

At the bottom of it, Concern kubwa ni kama DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE TWO WRONGS TO MAKE ONE RIGHT? Where and how do you place the future of the nation kwa visasi vya namna hii? Bila shaka hakuna kiongozi anayeweza kuleta maziawa na asali kwa taifa overnight, na kama hili linajulikana kwa nini wanafikiri hawawezi kusubiri Mbeki aondoke April 2009, aingie Zuma? Binafsi naona miaka 9 ni michache sana kwa kiongozi yeyote kuleta changes by 100%...nionyeshe mfano wa aliyefanikiwa namna hiyo.

Haya mambo ya akina Vice president kuwa na mume anayeshughulikia kesi ya Zuma ni mambo ambayo kisheria hayaruhusiwi, na ilikuwa ni wajibu wa wadau kupinga hilo, je kwa nini haikuwa hivyo kama ni kweli?

Well, nikipayta muda nitapost tena hoja zangu, kukuonyesha concern hasa ya wanaosikitishwa na sakata hili.

Kikwete na Baraza lake la Mawaziri nao wajiuzulu.

Resignations rock SA government
BBC News Online

Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka is a staunch supporter of Thabo Mbeki
Eleven members of the South African cabinet say they are resigning, along with President Thabo Mbeki, who is to step down on Thursday.

The BBC's Peter Biles says the resignations are a major blow to the African National Congress government.

The widely respected Finance Minister Trevor Manuel, however, says he has been asked to stay on by the ANC leaders and he is happy to do so.

The ANC is divided between supporters of Mr Mbeki and ANC leader Jacob Zuma.

As ANC leader, Mr Zuma is favourite to become South Africa's president in elections due next year.

Mr Zuma's allies had said they wanted the cabinet to stay in place.

Mr Mbeki is to leave office on Thursday after accusations that he interfered in the prosecution of Mr Zuma on corruption charges.

On Monday, Mr Zuma had sought to reassure the business community and said there would be no change of economic policy.

A statement from the presidency said the resignations of 10 ministers, three deputy ministers and Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka would also be effective on Thursday.

A close ally of Mr Zuma - ANC deputy leader Kgalema Motlanthe - is to replace Mr Mbeki as president until the elections, the ANC has confirmed. KEY RESIGNATIONS
Trevor Manuel, finance
Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, deputy president
Jabu Moleketi, deputy finance
Sydney Mufamadi, local government
Mosiuoa Lekota, defence
Ronnie Kasrils, intelligence
Essop Pahad, minister in the presidency

Among those to resign are Deputy Finance Minister Jabu Moleketi, who is in charge of finances for the 2010 World Cup, and Local Government Minister Sydney Mufamadi, who played a key role in negotiations over the political crisis in neighbouring Zimbabwe.

Thoraya Pandy, a spokeswoman for the treasury, said Mr Manuel had "resigned as a member of the cabinet and felt duty bound to do so as he served at the pleasure of the president, and President Mbeki had resigned.

"However, the minister has indicated a strong willingness to assist and to serve the new administration in whatever capacity they may ask of him."

Mr Manuel is seen as instrumental in South Africa's recent economic stability.

Our correspondent says his departure could trigger political and financial uncertainty in South Africa.

Many of Mr Zuma's supporters have criticised Mr Mbeki for being too business friendly and want the government to do more to help those in poverty.

Mr Mbeki on Saturday accepted a decision by the ANC to recall him as president.

Correspondents say the ANC's hopes of managing a stable transition have now been thrown out of the window.

Meanwhile, Mr Mbeki has lodged a legal appeal at the Constitutional Court to clear his name after a judge said there was evidence that he may have interfered in the prosecution of Mr Zuma.

He said the ruling was "unfair and unjust", as he had not been able to defend himself in court.

The "vexatious, scandalous and prejudicial" judgement had already cost him his job and damaged his reputation, he said.

Mbeki is fighting back.... at least he deserved the chance to be heard as would be expected in any democratic society

Mbeki Attacks 'Unfair and Unjust' Nicholson Ruling

Business Day (Johannesburg)

NEWS
23 September 2008
Posted to the web 23 September 2008

By Franny Rabkin and Ernest Mabuza
Johannesburg

PRESIDENT Thabo Mbeki applied to the Constitutional Court yesterday for leave to appeal against the findings of Judge Chris Nicholson on political interference by the executive in the work of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).

Mbeki said he believed that if Nicholson's findings were left unchallenged it would violate his constitutional rights.

Nicholson declared that the decision taken by the NPA last December to prosecute African National Congress (ANC) president Jacob Zuma was invalid.

The judgment was seen as vindication of Zuma's claims of a political conspiracy against him, and was the catalyst for Mbeki's recall from office and subsequent resignation.

In his affidavit, Mbeki said his recall was a "direct result" of Nicholson's findings.

Alternatively, Mbeki has asked the court to declare that Nicholson's findings breached his rights to dignity and access to court and to set them aside. Zuma and the national director of public prosecutions are respondents.

Mbeki said the matter before Nicholson was a "very narrow issue": whether Zuma had a right to make representations to the NPA. It "was not necessary" for Nicholson to make the findings against him to decide the Zuma matter.

Mbeki denied Nicholson's findings, saying they were "highly prejudicial to myself, both in my capacity as head of state and head of the national executive, as well as in my personal capacity". They were "equally damaging" to the standing of the national executive and the current and past justice ministers.

"The findings do not only suggest I have acted improperly or without integrity, all of which are injurious to my good name, reputation and my right to human dignity ... but also go further in that they in effect say that I have failed to fulfil the constitutional obligation to uphold and respect the constitution as the supreme law of the republic."

His rights were breached by aspects of Nicholson's judgment, including the finding that his firing Zuma as deputy president "was unfair and unjust given the fact that (Zuma) was not given a chance to defend himself in a court of law".

"The learned judge then goes further to conclude that I not only knew about the political interference of (former justice minister Penuell) Maduna but also agreed to it, and that in terms of the law and the constitution there is a responsibility attributable to the president and his cabinet for what Mr Maduna did.

"These actions, the learned judge found, constituted political meddling in the prosecution of (Zuma)."

Mbeki acknowledged Nicholson's findings did not amount to a "judgment or order", and he had no remedy in the high court or the Supreme Court of Appeal to set aside those findings. That was why he approached the Constitutional Court.

"Unless the errors in the judgment are rectified immediately by means of a judgment I will continue to suffer and may even suffer great harm as would the office of the president of the Republic of SA and members of the national executive."

Back
Top Bottom