Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Land grabbers ‘invade’ Dar es Salaam

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by BAK, May 4, 2011.

  1. BAK

    BAK JF-Expert Member

    May 4, 2011
    Joined: Feb 11, 2007
    Messages: 48,577
    Likes Received: 7,672
    Trophy Points: 280
    By PIUS RUGONZIBWA, 3rd May 2011 @ 20:00,

    MORE than 10,000 invaders have illegally grabbed vast tracts of land estimated at 1,000 hectares in Kinondoni Municipality.

    The district's authority has sought the intervention of higher authorities at the regional level as well as the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development to help contain the situation which is almost getting out of control.

    The Kinondoni District Commissioner, Mr Jordan Rugimbana, told reporters on Tuesday that some of the affected areas include Madale, Mivumoni, Kilimahewa, Mbezi Juu and Chasimba.

    Last year, Dar es Salaam authorities suspended and transferred a number of land officers in the three municipalities owing to rampant double allocation of plots, allocation of open and recreational areas to land developers, illegal changes of land use and other misconduct allegedly driven by corruption.

    "We have prepared a comprehensive report on the matter to be submitted to the Acting Regional Commissioner and tomorrow (today) we will hold another meeting to brainstorm on the recent development," he noted.

    Following the complexity of land matters at the district level, the DC said they had invited the Minister for Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development to assess the magnitude of the problem and help find lasting solution.

    Mr Rugimbana however, hinted that the district was now looking for resources to demolish houses and other illegally developed structures.

    Commenting, the Deputy Minister for Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development, Mr Goodluck Ole Medeye, said his ministry was aware of the problem and was prepared to lend a hand.

    He said the government would intervene in the conflicts by studying them first and propose for parties involved to seek amicable solutions.

    "We have come to learn that there are a lot of land conflicts within the district but I think sharing knowledge and holding talks should be the best option," observed the deputy minister.

    Mr Medeye admitted however, that there was a possibility of collusion between land grabbers, unscrupulous land officers and corrupt leaders at the local authorities.

    He revealed that the ministry was now prepared to issue directives that will prohibit individual local leaders to issue land permits without approval of the land committees or other organs tasked with allocation of lands.

    "We are set to launch special education campaign through the media which will introduce basic skills for leaders to understand procedures governing land issues. We hope it will help to polish them," explained Mr Medeye.

    Meanwhile, Mr Ole Medeye has said the Jangwani plot ordered to remain open by President Jakaya Kikwete recently will not be touched until all legal procedures have been pursued on its controversy.

    He told reporters that the matter was a little more complicated as there were many players involved.

    "We will give fairness to the developer to be heard first before any ruling on the matter," he pointed out.

    The deputy minister said he will be in the position to enlighten more on both the land conflicts in Kinondoni District and the Jangwani plot saga later today.