Kikwete: A Failure in Leadership - National Vision and Dream Defaulted

Mzee Mwanakijiji

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2006
oro3gk.jpg

(picha toka blogu ya Zanzibar Daima)
By. M. M. Mwanakijiji

I have been looking for some words to adequately describe our political situation in the country; I have found none that are good enough. Indeed, I have tried in so many rational ways to find some forms of logical explanations of why our beloved nation is in such a political conundrum, I’m sorry to report that I have found none that is logical and convincing enough. My friends may be there are no adequate words or logical explanations of why there is a crisis in leadership in Tanzania. May be the simplest answer is sufficient enough.

What we are witnessing in the make up of our political leadership is purely the absence of effective, able, willing and dedicated individuals who are ready to give up everything for the sake of their nation. I’m talking about Tanzanians who are courageous to lead and able to defend their positions through persuasion rather than intimidation or the threat of force against those who oppose them or those who disagree with them. We are missing at the detriment of the welfare of our people leaders who are visionaries; those who know the needs of our people and are willing to stake their honor, status, and all to lead us into the best of our future! A future of prosperity, equality and equal access to opportunity to create and sustain an affluent livelihood for each Tanzanian.

What we have now in the country could be summed up us leadership defaulted. That is, the people who were elected or picked to provide some form of leadership in the country have betrayed the oaths that they have taken, and they have chosen to be followers of events and situations in the country instead of taking the helm of leadership to show the people which way to go and how to get there.

The recent events that have cemented rapture between the government and the workers of this country confirm without any ambiguity that the political leadership in the country is not able to fend off well crafted arguments without opting to the threat of force or reprisals of sorts.

For four years now we have witnessed CCM’s government under President Kikwete failing to provide a clear and convincing leadership on matters of gross national importance. Examples can be shown on how the Kikwete’s government dealt (or still dealing) with the issues of corruption in public service as well as how it has miserably failed to courageously deal with incompetence among a number of public officials.

The CCM government formerly under Mkapa and now under Kikwete has failed to provide a prompt and swift actions against public officials implicated in over 20 major scandals that have resulted in the loss of about 11 Billion USD in the past ten years! This is a fact just as the planets revolve around the sun!

I could say more on this but suffice it to say that, what we have in the country right now is simply leadership denied, dream defaulted! Yes, just as Mkapa turned out to be a caricature of leadership so has Kikwete become the comedy of the same!

We have in our collective hands a choice; a choice of whether we would continue to elect the same failed leaders, with the same ideology of incompetence and philosophy of failure and expecting success in our foreseeable future. It is a choice for each one of us to make just as well as for all of us to make. If we were to return the same people, from the same political party, who hold the same political views simply because now they have a new manifesto in their hands; the same manifesto written by the same very people who wrote the last one and hoping that some how the results in the next five years would be different then the problems will make itself more clear and obvious for everyone to behold! It will shine in front of our naked eyes as bright as the sun shines on a beautiful summer day.

‘WE THE PEOPLE” are the problem! We are the ones who elect these so called “leaders” a.k.a “our rulers”; we are the ones who attend their political rallies with our faces darkened by hardships of the day looking hopeful for no apparent reason but mere superstitious ones! We are the one who encourage them by cheering their vain promises as if somewhere this failed bunch of rulers would find a way out of our plight simply by giving more appealing promises! We are the ones who continue to pray that somehow the Heavens would change the corrupt regime and that may be heaven would lead them to see the misery of our people and make them care!

My friends, I have bad news for you! corrupt public officials never change! They can not change, they will not change! A corrupt political party can not change at least not in its own volition. No where on earth a political party deep in corruption has ever brought itself out of the unforgiving abyss of corruption! For corruption once entangled in a political system, enshrined in its laws and embedded in the mindsets of the people becomes so dense and destructive just as the pull of gravity in a black hole! Nothing can escape from it; not even light! A corrupt political system will suck in everything that get close to it or try to be brave enough to try to reform it!

Thanks heaven! though powerful as it may a corrupt political system in Tanzania is not a black hole; it can be caused to collapse on its own weight. We have seen this happening in Poland as well as in Ukraine; we have seen it happening in Mexico as well as in Malaysia and Indonesia; Yes! we have seen it collapsing in Taiwan as well as in Japan! Only when forces outside this system are methodically and strategically applied that is when such a system would start to crack.

In the past four years we have tried to create these forces and applied them meticulously to this corrupt system as we attempted to cause it to fall; we saw some cracks but that’s all we have seen. The system is not falling and the giant is still standing even more vengeful and angrier than before.

I’m more worried today that after so much we have done in the past four years we have found ourselves lacking clear leadership in our movement for change in the nation. Those whom we expected to provide leadership and push for political reform have backed down and instead they have chosen intellectual ways to argue for reform instead of using political and civil tools to effect it. They do don't understand (or choose not to) that no corrupt regime has been defeated by intellectual or academic exchanges! Their attempts are such of those who would try to convince a pride of lions from hunting for preys. I’m arguing that although we do indeed have a lot of intellectuals at our disposal we are lacking political vision and leadership to effect political reform that we so much long for.

We are caught then in a situation whose outcome is unpredictable though somewhat expectable and probable; with lack of leadership in the government and in the weak movement for change the possibility is that the same failed leaders would return again to power, easily. If that is the case, do we have to support the same people whom have already failed hoping that they would find some courage within them to rise against all odds and lead the charge towards change no matter the price?

Or, should we hope and encourage a new line of leadership unconventional and visionaries at best? Should we look for these leaders even outside the most expected places such as outside the current political formations in the country or abroad? Should we support these leaders once we recognize them or should we wait until we are comfortable enough of their leadership? How would we recognize them if they are not affiliated with any party right now?

Should we on the other hand envision a political movement such as that of Tea Party or other recent movements such as the Cedar Revolution in Lebanon or the Orange Revolution in Ukraine? or, should we just continue unceasingly to pray that somehow, somewhere, some gods of political outcomes will have mercy on us and provide us with good and quality leadership no matter how long we have to wait for that god to do so? Or should we take the charge to build our own leadership knowing that there is a price to pay for that, even the ultimate price?

For now however, Kikwete has proven to be a failed Leader and under him and his political party the nation’s dream and ambitions have continued to be defaulted. Looking at the current alternatives the situation is becoming more dire with the passing of each new day! Where lays our hope?

IS IT TOO LATE?

Tumekusoma Mwanakijiji, tumekuelewa, sasa swala is how to move forward, tutumie mbinu gani kwa sasa kuhakikisha CCM hawamsimamishi Kikwete?

Hata kama chenyewe kitashinda but not huyu mtu. Tunahitaji movement hapa ili swala hili litokee, huu ushenzi wake kwa wafanyakazi usipotumika vizuri tutakua tume miss a point, tatizo ni vibaraka tena na hawa waliomo kwenye jukwaa hili la JF unawasoma unatamani ku 'puke'.

How do we move forward manake hata kujiandikisha kupiga kura hatumo we need ku mobilize watu wapige kura za kweli NO CCM NO KIKWETE vikundi vya wanaharakati vitoke sasa barabarani maandamano yaongozane kuanzia sasa mpaka September, Femat waliishia wapi wakati walisema wangetoka barabarani miezi mitatu iliyopita, TUCTA watoke, Chadema watoke, Wakristo watoke kupinga benki ya Kiisalamu ndani ya Stanbic walimu vyuo vikuu vya umma watoke barabarani mambo yawe back to back ndio njia pekee ya kubadilisha maisha mpaka hao viongozi wakimbie nchi, yeye na vibaraka wake wanaonenepea kodi zetu

MM,
Excuse me. I need a tissue!
What a spectacle.
Needless to say, naona kama niko uwanja wa Taifa vile, penalt time na kipa kasusa!
It is never too late!

To me, I wish the current TUCTA leadership would articulate very clear that NO MORE FIVE YEARS for Kikwete and his leadership! na kutoka hapa to mobilize the masses not to elect CCM

Changes have never been easy!

No one will match in the streets if there is no one to take the lead! If we are to stage a political revolution we must acknowledge the fact that the majority of Tanzanians need to be educated/told why we need changes! CCM knows exactly where their lion's share of votes came from! Their votes comes from poor families in the villages where these people are ready to give up their votes for a kilo sugar, a 30" x 75" matress, a pair of khanga! even half a kilo of salt for christ's sake!

It took door by door and thousands of volunteers for the Obama campaigns to spread the message of change! Rural Tanzanias need to be informed that Tanzania can do better than this! It has never been too late Yes we can! Change starts with you!

Elimu tuliyonayo haina maana kama hatutai-translate kwenye maendeleo na vitendo.......................ili kutuondoa katika lindi la Upofu wa uongozi tulionao hivi sasa..............

mwakani tutatimiza miaka 50 ya uhuru wa Tanganyika...........angalieni tulipo.............kweli tuendelee kusema mambo ya sijui "maisha bora kw akila Mtanzania"..................kwa mwendo huu huu.................something is not right in our minds............C'mmon guys..............

Tusipochukua hatua......ndio basi tena labda washuke malaika..............

tumeshasema mengi sana hapa JF...........wanatudharau.........hawatusikilizi.............lets campaign kuwapiga chini viongozi wasiotufaa............

Kikwete is a victim of time and circumstance. Time meaning he is president when people are demanding more openness, more transparency, drastic changes and leadership. Circumstance meaning he is now paying for the crimes of the last regime which he was a minister in. Most of these problems we are witnessing now like EPA, ufisadi and the like all started during Mwinyi, escalated during Mkapa and now the bomb is about to explode on Kikwete's watch. Truly the wrong time foe him to have been president. But most importantly Kikwete is a victim of the mere fact the he is not the leader Tanzania needed at this point in time. Kikwete is undoubtedly charismatic, a people person but during hard times like these Tanzania doesn't need a president who symbolizes the future but one who is the epitomizer of the current situation. I might not be forgiven for this but I will dare give my opinion, I think Kikwete is a talented politician and under different circumstances would make a great president but not during this point in time we are in. A good example is president Obama, another charismatic, "young" leader who came in with all the hope of millions in his shoulders but due to the reality of the situation in his country we see the kind of heat he is taking. I am not in anyway saying Kikwete is Tanzania's Obama but I'm just comparing the fact of their ascendants into office.

Also Kikwete's failures highlight the failures of the system and the failure of the nation. The failure is that we as a people fail to produce a kind of president we need but the kind of president we want. It is the same as buying an expensive car while lacking funds to educated our children. My fellow Tanzanians our leaders are a reflection of us not as individuals but a collective group of the people. Kikwete is president because people wanted him to be. So the question is when a CEO fails who do we blame? The CEO or those who put him in office? Before we blame Kikwete let as look back at ourselves. What options did we have in 2005? If given the chance who would we now have elected president in the place of Kikwete? In 2010 will we elect Kikwete as president again or not? I tell you my fellow Tanzanians you can only be pushed around if you allow yourself to be. We are in this situation cause we allowed it to be!

The general elections are in a few months. We have complained endlessly for four years to the point of exhaustion. We have talked the talk but now is time to put our money where our mouths are and walk the walk. I say this because I know there are many coward and hypocrites out there (including here in JF) who have been saying one thing but come election time there votes won't match their words. We have talked about the kind of Tanzania we want to see so now it's time to install people who we hope to move our country forward. If you don't want Kikwete don't vote Kikwete, if you want him vote for him. Bottom line is let your voice be words and shut up for five years and live with your choices.

I urge my countrymen to start looking at the pool of possible candidates today. Research and see who bets suits your ideas, values and vision for the United republic of Tanzania. Because most of as by a goat in a sack and after we open it is when we start to complain. RESEARCH! If you know someone who would be good in office urge him/her to run and give them all the support they need. Tanzania has 40 million people so I do not see the point of proclaiming a state of emergency if in theory we have the power to take out every single leader elected in 2005 and install completely new faces this time around. All we have to do is vote. I know some people complain the elections are rigged or their votes won't count but guess what? A majority of them don't vote and those who do feel the vote is rigged only when their party or candidate doesn't win. Tanzanians your true voice is your vote.

I urge all my people to vote in numbers they have never done before. I hope I can inspire at least one person to do so and in do so I know we will come out in great numbers. This is bigger than ourselves individually but together our voices are louder than thunder, louder than any storm, louder than any imaginable sound on earth They say the voice of people is the voice of God. Now tell me, which government can day stand against the will of God? The strongest voice there is!?

In short Tanzanians were conned to believe this fraudulent con artist, JK will be the country's Moses. What we have witnessed so far is a visionless, corrupt and too weak to lead head of state.

Wait a minute, if this was a Scam and most of us believe it was and he's. R we ready to be conned again? Will you just look and see your brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers be fooled again?

In short Tanzanians were conned to believe this fraudulent con artist, JK will be the country's Moses. What we have witnessed so far is a visionless, corrupt and too weak to lead head of state.

Wait a minute, if this was a Scam and most of us believe it was and he's. R we ready to be conned again? Will you just look and see your brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers be fooled again?

Tanzania was never conned. In politics, as in life in general, we exert our good qualities for people to see and hide the bad ones. What did you expect? For Kikwete to critique himself? And yes there are people who campaigned for him and that is expected. It is us, the electorate who were supposed to do our homework and vote accordingly. Can you really blame him for using his charisma to charm you? Kikwete didn't con Tanzanians, Tanzanians conned themselves by choosing a person without looking beyond the face.

Tanzania was never conned. In politics, as in life in general, we exert our good qualities for people to see and hide the bad ones. What did you expect? For Kikwete to critique himself? And yes there are people who campaigned for him and that is expected. It is us, the electorate who were supposed to do our homework and vote accordingly. Can you really blame him for using his charisma to charm you? Kikwete didn't con Tanzanians, Tanzanians conned themselves by choosing a person without looking beyond the face.

Mkuu, unless hukuwepo au hukufuatilia the 2005 election. All the media (reputable ones), religious leaders, clan elders etc. were absorbed into thinking JK was the one and the only one, to an extent some very reputable pple in the society summed it up by telling the electrorate "KIKWETE TUMAINI LILILOREJEA" others went as far as convincing the electrorate "KIKWETE NI CHAGUO LA MUNGU".

Few of us who knew this guy was a fraud were frequently mocked anytime we tried to make a point. It was just JK, maisha bora kwa kila mtanzania,ari mpya kasi mpya na nguvu mpya.

In short there were massive forces behind, seen and unseen pushing this guy into office and they would stop at nothing. Just short of a year down the line, things started to unveil, the thought mesiah was nothing but a fraud.

These forces with the major help of RA, Chenge, EL et al. swept the majority of electrorate into bunko, con, flim flam, gaffle, grift, hustle, scam, scheme, swindle or bamboozle).

Kikwete is a victim of time and circumstance. Time meaning he is president when people are demanding more openness, more transparency, drastic changes and leadership. Circumstance meaning he is now paying for the crimes of the last regime which he was a minister in. Most of these problems we are witnessing now like EPA, ufisadi and the like all started during Mwinyi, escalated during Mkapa and now the bomb is about to explode on Kikwete's watch.

Mwanafalsafa1, I really don't think Kikwete is a victim; he participated fully in decisions that were taken during Mwinyi and Mkapa's administrations. He was part of the system and one of its most defenders. He could not be a victim.

Truly the wrong time foe him to have been president. But most importantly Kikwete is a victim of the mere fact the he is not the leader Tanzania needed at this point in time.

If he had known this fact he shouldn't have run in the first place..
Kikwete is undoubtedly charismatic, a people person but during hard times like these Tanzania doesn't need a president who symbolizes the future but one who is the epitomizer of the current situation. I might not be forgiven for this but I will dare give my opinion, I think Kikwete is a talented politician and under different circumstances would make a great president but not during this point in time we are in.

In the beginning I was one of those who believed that a charismatic leader would inspire our nation to greatness; I was wrong. Kikwete has failed in every measure to be an inspiring leader and person that Tanzanians would look to in such a time like this. I would agree if we would describe him as victim of his own ambition! He shouldn't have dreamed of being our president!

A good example is president Obama, another charismatic, "young" leader who came in with all the hope of millions in his shoulders but due to the reality of the situation in his country we see the kind of heat he is taking. I am not in anyway saying Kikwete is Tanzania's Obama but I'm just comparing the fact of their ascendancies into office.

Unfortunately, unlike Obama Kikwete came at the perfect moment! He failed to seize it!

Also Kikwete's failures highlight the failures of the system and the failure of the nation. The failure is that we as a people fail to produce a kind of president we need but the kind of president we want. It is the same as buying an expensive car while lacking funds to educated our children. My fellow Tanzanians our leaders are a reflection of us not as individuals but a collective group of the people. Kikwete is president because people wanted him to be. So the question is when a CEO fails who do we blame? The CEO or those who put him in office? Before we blame Kikwete let as look back at ourselves. What options did we have in 2005?

I totally agree with you, and so far we are being told that there "nobody like Kikwete" so Kikwete should run again. I'm worried that most CCM members believe this deception.

Oouuch.. it hurts but very true.

From this definition, I still believe JK is just as one!!!!!

"Con man - someone who defrauds someone after winning their trust". as such JK bado ni tapeli tuuu!

He did win the trust of the majority and ofcourse kama unavosema mwanafalsafa the majority ambao hawakuona beyond his face. If he wasn't a con artist alitakiwa aone mapema kwamba he is not fit for what his God fathers were pushing him into!

Mwanafalsafa1, I really don't think Kikwete is a victim; he participated fully in decisions that were taken during Mwinyi and Mkapa's administrations. He was part of the system and one of its most defenders. He could not be a victim.
You said something which I agree with and always say. Kikwete is a victim of his own ambitions. He aspired to be president probably without contemplating what would be required of him. He participated in these decision but I think it is safe to say he probably didn't agree with all of them. After all government decisions are group decisions and once they are made one has to publicly support them. Yes he could have chosen to resign and say this is not for me but as you said he was a victim of his ambitions and his ambitions required that he support group decisions in order to stay in the system and eventually run for president.

I'm not defending him just saying that he did everything he needed to do to become president whether or not he knew of the consequences or not. Sadly many of our politicians are found in that predicament. To try and make changes they have to stay in the system but to stay in the system means abiding by it. This means a person has to look for another way to push change outside politics. Then what is a talented politician to do? Unless we say right now that the future of our nation is not in the hands of politicians but that would be fooling ourselves since politicians make the policies

If he had known this fact he shouldn't have run in the first place..
Like you said mkuu "if". But what if he didn't know? And in all honesty how many of us think sincerely about whether we are good for something or not. Most successful people make goals and go after it not looking at anything else. It is both the good and bad of people who assume high office.

In the beginning I was one of those who believed that a charismatic leader would inspire our nation to greatness; I was wrong. Kikwete has failed in every measure to be an inspiring leader and person that Tanzanians would look to in such a time like this. I would agree if we would describe him as victim of his own ambition! He shouldn't have dreamed of being our president!
You thought the same thing 80% of the Tanzanian electorate thought. People believed we needed a charismatic leader and Lord behold we elected a charismatic president. What does this show you mkuu? That we as an electorate have great powers to make or break a politician. If we wanted a charismatic president and we elected him into office what's stopping as from electing a person who we think is right this time around again?

Unfortunately, unlike Obama Kikwete came at the perfect moment! He failed to seize it!
Agreed. Wala sina hoja ya kuku bishia kwenye hili mkuu.

I totally agree with you, and so far we are being told that there "nobody like Kikwete" so Kikwete should run again. I'm worried that most CCM members believe this deception.

Here is the problem. When a person is elected president of URT from CCM he becomes chairman. When he becomes chairman he comes in with mostly a group of subordinates who are either loyal to him or suck up to him for their own benefits. This means that there is a group of leaders within CCM now in powerful and influential positions within the establishment of the party who live and die by Kikwete. Of course they are going to try and get their man reelected, their future depends on it. Wouldn't you stand by your man?

So now if Tanzania really wants a new man then that man has to come outside of CCM because sir the presidential candidate for CCM in 2010 is Mr. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete and that is a done deal. So the question is, if people want a change who is the change? Where will the change come from if the opposition keeps choosing the same people time and time again to run for president? Is the opposition really going to produce a better choice than Kikwete?

Mkuu I am a young man, twenty years old so I'm going to sound bias. I believe change in Tanzania won't come from this generation of leaders be it within CCM or in the opposition. I believe if we want change the future must become the present and that is my generation. I believe change won't come from whether we elect what party but rather who we elect. I believe we need to encourage young men and women to participate in politics and I think we need a new generation in Tanzanian politics. The time is fast passing for the current generation. I say "Taifa la kesho" now needs to be "Taifa la leo".

Mkuu, unless hukuwepo au hukufuatilia the 2005 election. All the media (reputable ones), religious leaders, clan elders etc. were absorbed into thinking JK was the one and the only one, to an extent some very reputable pple in the society summed it up by telling the electrorate "KIKWETE TUMAINI LILILOREJEA" others went as far as convincing the electrorate "KIKWETE NI CHAGUO LA MUNGU".

Few of us who knew this guy was a fraud were frequently mocked anytime we tried to make a point. It was just JK, maisha bora kwa kila mtanzania,ari mpya kasi mpya na nguvu mpya.

In short there were massive forces behind, seen and unseen pushing this guy into office and they would stop at nothing. Just short of a year down the line, things started to unveil, the thought mesiah was nothing but a fraud.

These forces with the major help of RA, Chenge, EL et al. swept the majority of electrorate into bunko, con, flim flam, gaffle, grift, hustle, scam, scheme, swindle or bamboozle).

I agree with you mkuu. All you have said is true. I have not discredited the fact that there were some influential people backing him up including the now infamous "Chaguo la Mungu". But my point is, leaving those "God fathers" aside, people did not do there homework. Walifuata upepo. Now can the electorate really escape blame for that? Let us the electorate also take the blame and responsibility for our part if that is the standard in which we judge our leaders. Tukubali makosa pia.

do you think with all that we know today the educated and well informed Tanzania would vote differently?

From this definition, I still believe JK is just as one!!!!!

"Con man - someone who defrauds someone after winning their trust". as such JK bado ni tapeli tuuu!

He did win the trust of the majority and ofcourse kama unavosema mwanafalsafa the majority ambao hawakuona beyond his face. If he wasn't a con artist alitakiwa aone mapema kwamba he is not fit for what his God fathers were pushing him into!

Mkuu the act of asking for votes is the same as the art of approaching a woman. You show her your good qualities while convincing her that you will be the best boyfriend in the world and treat her with the respect that she deserves. That's all that politics is, persuasion. Wananchi tuli "tongozwa" na wagombea mbali mbali lakini mwishoni tuka sema Kikwete ndiye atakae timiza mahitaji yetu. I can say we were shallow for choosing a handsome face over quality. It's about "hating the game not the player". How many of us exaggerate or skills, talents and abilities to get a job? Isn't it the same concept? I'm not saying it's right but I'm saying it's the nature of things. Sasa 2010 tuna "tongozwa" tena....make your choice the right one this time.

do you think with all that we know today the educated and well informed Tanzania would vote differently?

No I don't. At least not enough to make a significant difference. But that won't be a short coming on the part of politicians but the voters themselves.

Back
Top Bottom