Kenya tour operators warn tanzania on unfairness

FJM read how your govt likes to talk, read the whole excerpt...all talk no show. Soon the next battle will be the ports and with that you stand no chance. Its aggressive economic reforms, lemmie not keep u waiting...furahia makala ya wolfgang.

Tanzania tourism news – Support Mwanza
and Lake Victoria tourism, stakeholders
ask government
MWANZA TOURISM STAKEHOLDERS DEMAND
BETTER INFRASTRUCTURE
According to a regular source from Arusha
did tourism stakeholders meet over the last
weekend in Mwanza, Tanzanias lakeside
port town on Lake Victoria, to discuss the
way forward of how to better promote
travel into this part of the country and have
a greater share of tourism receipts.
Members of the Tourism Development
Initiative and other groups came together to
map out how best this will be possible and
amongst the key issues mentioned to this
correspondent was the upgrading of
Mwanza airport. Said the source in an email
received yesterday: We heard that Kisumu
is now a big international airport with
more flights and more visitors. We in
Mwanza would also like to see such
efforts by our government. The plans to
build another international airport near
the Serengeti are rubbish really. We have
Mwanza already in place and with some
upgrading it can go a long way to serve
our part of Tanzania. From here it is two
hours drive to the Serengeti, or with the
smaller aircraft even less than half an
hour to some of the park airfields. From
Arusha it is a long way by road and takes
a longer time to fly into the park. But from
Mwanza it is so much easier and as an
extra attraction we have Lake Victoria
right here. Most tourists to Tanzania never
see the biggest lake in Africa. We are
losing visitors and revenues and TTB and
others must now shape up and promote
us as much as they promote the parks.
Lake Victoria gets very little promotion
from the tourist board and yet there is
fishing, bird watching, sunset cruises,
island visits. We should also try to have
more airlines from Uganda and Kenya
come here with extra flights to bring
passengers. Lets work together to achieve
better results here for us .
Another periodic source from Arusha
added: Government could do a lot for us
here. Instead of talking about a new
railway to Musoma they should fix up and
modernize the rail link from Arusha to
Mwanza. That way tourists could even use
the train which right now is too slow. That
would be a better option and much
cheaper too. And at the same breath I add
our opposition to the highway plans
through Serengeti. They should build the
road around the south part of Serengeti
as a good highway and then link Mwanza
too. That way the road used now through
Ngorongoro and Serengeti can be relieved
of heavy traffic. This government should
stop making so much noise about things
which are not happening anyway and
concentrate to develop and modernize
what we already have and what they
have let go into disrepair for too long. And
they should also stop listening to pressure
from KADCO (Kilimanjaro Airport
Development Company) and allow more
flights from Arusha airport which is easier
for people to reach than driving so far out
almost to Moshi. Sentiments often heard
yes seemingly so far fallen on rather deaf
ears.
Precision Air is operating several flights a
day between Dar es Salaam, Kilimanjaro
International and Mwanza and a source
close to the airline made it known that they
would support any initiative to promote
greater travel to the Lake Victoria town
should the tourist board roll out a campaign.
Watch this space.

There is a railway network between Dar - Mwanza and then Dar- Kigoma. But it needs overhauling/upgrading and it is only a matter of time that work will start. Road between Dar - Mwanza is done but it is a long drive.

Trust me Tanzania is going places -now you've been warned! (moyo?)

good reply moyo, the govt of this forum has jammed my post after getting sensational creeps of what i was about to spray on that page. They prefer it Kenyan vs Tanzania so let it be the dance. The 200$ tag is nonsensical, for a moment were it not for Kenyas effort the wildbeast migration would never have been a wonder. Its coz of Kenyas hardwork in marketting the mara that the status of the mara was elevated. Tz were only joy riders. How comes wen we do the costly marketting there is no cost sharing then some slow guys come and say we are ripping them off...absurdity of the highest order. How does a nation rely on Kenyas flagcarrier (a neighbour) to ferry tourists to Tz? in other words you expect we market Kenya+Tanzania again then you charge our tour operators this stupid border fees? You talk, Kenyans act. I forgot, EAC charter advocates for free movement of people and goods. Why are these fees levied on Kenyans, are they levied on the Rwandeese, Ugandans et cetera.

Kwenye red: eti the govt of this forum...lol! but remember, when in Rome.....

There is a railway network between Dar - Mwanza and then Dar- Kigoma. But it needs overhauling/upgrading and it is only a matter of time that work will start. Road between Dar - Mwanza is done but it is a long drive.

FJM you support the govt talk even better after kusoma haya makala.lol. Anyway am not preaching bad blood, i wish our twisted EAC prosperity....(Kenya kaa ngumu, haha)....and i wish Tz well too. Just playing with minds of some pips in a not so popular way.

• Thanks
Reactions: FJM
Soo Jokakuu by saying "If we allow tourists to come in without any paying any fee at the border we will really be supporting Kenyan lies and propaganda" you are suggesting that Tanzanian Govt officials base their Economic decisions on Kenyan lies & Propaganda?

If this is the reason you guys are charging Kenyans you need to fire your Economic Experts at your Trade ministry.

I even read that your Govt is denying Kenya's NTV a license to broadcast in Tanzania despite the fact that it will create jobs for Tanzanians. NTV is ready to start operations, but your Govt officials are giving them endless weak reasons for the delay.

How many TV B/Stations does Kenya have, if I may ask!

BTW those animals r called wildebeest n not wild-beast! Pili ****** yako ati Kenya marketed wildebeest migration! so u become Good Morning America show at CBS news?

Hawa watu waongo sana, movies na picha za kuonyesha uhamaji wa wanyawa hawa zilianza kuonyeshwa miaka mingi sana iliyopita si kweli kwamba imeanza juzi juzi. Haya mambo ya kusema eti "wako aggressive katika mambo ya marketing" wasihitumie kama ni warrant ya kueneza uongo, wamekubuhu katika fani ya kusema uongo kwa maksudi kuhusu Taifa letu katika mambo ya kitalii- as far as they are concern anything goes!! Niliwahi kuwaonya watu kuhusu TRAITS za baadhi ya watu hawa, ni wachache sana wanabadilisha nyoyo yao to see reason; wengine wao wana a skewed perception kuhusu Watanzania in general, kuna mmoja humu ukiangalia anavyo wajibu watu wazima na akili zao unabaki mdomo wazi - unaweza kufikili anajibizana na watoto wadogo, hana adabu hata chembe! Wengi wao wala hawajawahi kufika hata TANZANIA - mimi hili linaskitisha sana. I salute wale wenye nia njema ni nchi zetu hizi mbili, tuendelee kuchangia na kubadilishana mawazo. Lakini mtu akianza kuleta mambo ya kamongo, nyuka na Rusinga atutafika mbali.

Neighbours row over Kilimanjaro

_40941297_mountain.jpg

Kilimanjaro is 20km from the Kenyan border

Tanzania's tourist industry has accused Kenya of trying to hoodwink tourists into thinking Africa's highest mountain is in Kenya rather than Tanzania.
Kenya's tourism minister Morris Dzoro told a travel agents conference that Mount Kilimanjaro was one of his country's top tourist attractions.
This angered Tanzanian tour operators who said Mr Dzoro was "trying to hijack our tourists and take their money."
The 5,895m high mountain is in Tanzania, some 20km from Kenya.
The nearby Tanzanian town of Arusha has its own international airport.
Chief executive of the Tanzanian Association of Tour Operators, Mustapha Akunaay, told the BBC News Website that the Kenyan comments were perhaps understandable when coming from marketing people but not when delivered by a minister.
"I stand by my criticism. This information from Kenya is distorted and is not right."
Kenya already has twice as many tourists as Tanzania and Tanzania's tourist industry fears it could lose out even further once an agreed customs union comes into force.

Kobello that incident was from 2005. Can't you guys just move on. I think you can forward a complaint to Kenya's Tourism ministry to clarify. I couldn't find any follow up and if he retracted the statement or if he misspoke. But everyone knows Mt Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania. If you base your 2012 Economic policies on statements made in 2005 by someone who no longer represents Kenya in the Tourism Ministry then thats crazy. Also i believe you guys can easily get Kenya's official position on this issue by e-mailing or calling Kenya's Tourism Ministry.

About Kenya using the Mt in Advertisements. For example Amboselli based lodges. I mean you guys expect Tourists not to see that Mt when the Visit Amboselli? Also if your Lodge has it in it's background how do they deal with that? take photos then photoshop the Mt out, so as not to have any Tanzanian Mt in the photos? It's just one of those things that you guys have to deal with and stop being petty.

The animals in Mara and Serengeti they are owned by both Kenya and Tanzania (Because they move back and forth between the 2 countries)

Mt Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania. Ok folks This is an official statement.
i hope this make you guys happy.

The 200$ fee on Kenyan Vans is petty Economic Politics.

'Uswahili' bana shida tupu. Clear instance of need to cooperate for mutual success bado ubinafsi utajitokeza. In 'insane excess' will soon be building walls to shield Kilimanjaro from eyes of tourist in Amboseli,will build ourselve electric fences to deny Kenyan wilderbeest access to a our prime serengeti plains. Mungu ibariki Tanzania.

This one UNESCO is about to strip its title cause of LAPSSET! n even if it status stays; there is no NP in the whole of Africa if not World that can be compared to the Serengeti on its ecological value get the fact fool! that's why u cry a river over it...

To hell with their heritage sites, we cannot just forgo to develop and increase productivity at the expense of historical monuments, and BTW, does historical monuments present any value economically to the surrounding communities? The problem with You guys is that you want easy things. you want to sit like LORDS!! and expect everything to work out smoothly. I bet even King midus at one point in his life had to strive to make things work

Instead of building a strong, united, economic independent East Africa, we keep spreading hatred through propaganda and embracing the borders that the white man drew, falling right into his trap. Lets stop all this name calling, lets embrace each other and unite against our common problems.. we all we got.

Instead of building a strong, united, economic independent East Africa, we keep spreading hatred through propaganda and embracing the borders that the white man drew, falling right into his trap. Lets stop all this name calling, lets embrace each other and unite against our common problems.. we all we got.
not to our expense ...! it seems those opportunistic marketing strategies on great migration on Earth to be in Masai Mara only n Kilimanjaro is in Kenya r not working in a today's globalized World...n on the other side the Al Shabaabs r doing a great job to a greedy society

Neighbours row over Kilimanjaro

_40941297_mountain.jpg
Kilimanjaro is 20km from the Kenyan border
Tanzania's tourist industry has accused Kenya of trying to hoodwink tourists into thinking Africa's highest mountain is in Kenya rather than Tanzania.
Kenya's tourism minister Morris Dzoro told a travel agents conference that Mount Kilimanjaro was one of his country's top tourist attractions.
This angered Tanzanian tour operators who said Mr Dzoro was "trying to hijack our tourists and take their money."
The 5,895m high mountain is in Tanzania, some 20km from Kenya.
The nearby Tanzanian town of Arusha has its own international airport.
Chief executive of the Tanzanian Association of Tour Operators, Mustapha Akunaay, told the BBC News Website that the Kenyan comments were perhaps understandable when coming from marketing people but not when delivered by a minister.
"I stand by my criticism. This information from Kenya is distorted and is not right."
Kenya already has twice as many tourists as Tanzania and Tanzania's tourist industry fears it could lose out even further once an agreed customs union comes into force.

I guess Kilimanjaro 's geographical position is its undoing. I have a very good suggestion for authorities around kilimanajaro. Anyone trying to use kilimanjaro should get exclusive permission to use it. Or charge dollar $500 for anyone trying to access it. Kilimanjaro like serengeti should get the status of a world heritage site. kenya does intense marketing of their holiday destinations and thats what makes the difference. Kilimanjaro the highest in Africa does not get any.

I guess Kilimanjaro 's geographical position is its undoing. I have a very good suggestion for authorities around kilimanajaro. Anyone trying to use kilimanjaro should get exclusive permission to use it. Or charge dollar $500 for anyone trying to access it. Kilimanjaro like serengeti should get the status of a world heritage site. kenya does intense marketing of their holiday destinations and thats what makes the difference. Kilimanjaro the highest in Africa does not get any.
Mt kilimanjaro falls under the Kilimanjaro national Park of which is a World Heritage therefore protected

Many of Tanzanias supposed high end tourists "Bill Gates " for example have been handled by Abercrombie and Kent A&K which is a Kenyan firm.

Geoffrey Kent, Founder and Executive Chairman | Abercrombie & Kent
"The Kent formula of providing a "luxury cocoon" from which to explore the world attracts prominent guests as diverse as James Brolin, Kristin Davis, Bill Gates, John Grisham, Tom Hanks, Dr. Henry Kissinger, Goldie Hawn, Lauren Hutton, Sharon Lawrence, Liam Neeson, Rachael Ray, Diane Sawyer, Jane Seymour, Barbara Walters, Denzel Washington and Oprah Winfrey. These high-profile travelers are among the literally thousands of well-known people who have journeyed to the wildest and most remote corners of the globe with A&K."

Most high end tourists money doesn't benefit Tanzanians because most of the big foreign firms recieve the main payment abroad, and that most of money stays abroad. Tanzanians just get the peanuts" Souvenirs money and Tips"

Guys are assuming that backpackers don't have money and don't spend money. Many tourists nowadays want to book by themselves, land in Tanzania then probably go to Hamisi"s Street Corner Tours and Safaris and organize an inpromptu city tour or Safari to Serengeti. This tourist will be taken by Hamisi to a local Souvenir store wher Hamisi will get the best commision. The Small Tanzanian Curio shop owner and both Hamisi will benefit. You wont see Bill gates coming to these little Curio stands. A&K will probably recommend for him a high end Curio shop thats probably owned by A&K.

By claiming that you only want high end tourists, you are actually indirectly killing your little Tour firms that are genuinely Tanzanian.
Guys need to stop lying that Tanzania is an exclusive high end tourist destinantion, while just a quick survey online shows Tanzania has alot of cheap packages, medium priced packages, and also a few high end packages just like many other countries in the same business.

Also i don't think any businessman wants to spend money doing all the marketing work, then for some officials to add a crazy fee at the border claiming that this protects Tanzania.
The suggestion to open offices in Tanzania and employ Tanzanians is crazy. It's like folks are just sitting waiting for someone else to do the hard work, then get charged a crazy unnecessary fee, then set up office in Tanzania and create jobs for Tanzanians. What's the job of the Tanzanian Govt?

Seriously someone is sitting down in his office expecting this to happen? You expect tourists to be brought to you to spend money in you country, and also to be handed free jobs on a silver platter on top of the 200$ fee?. How about the money the companies spent on marketing. Will they get that from Tanzania?

Its harder and more expensive for example to ship a container within Africa, than shipping the same container from China or Japan for example on top of that we have created so many trading barriers that have made trading between ourselves a nightmare.
While other countries are progressing we are regressing. Also in the spirit of EAC why charge only Kenya and not other countries? It's just outright petty. I am curious how your Economic experts came to this 200$ figure and what they said its exactly for? Also how is the money spent. Do Tanzanian regular folks even benefit from the money?

Also did they calculate the repercussions?

...Wewe mtu acha kufanya watu washamba. Abercrombe and Kent is an LLC registered in USA.
Watu wengine bwana eh..mnaona kila mtu hajasoma sio?

Here u go... Luxury Travel | Luxury Vacations | Abercrombie & Kent

Heheh Sina mengi ya kusema. If you are one of the Tanzanian Economic Experts, or creme dela creme of Tanzania then i'm sorry you guys have a long way to go.
Wacha "manyangau wa Kenya" the words you guys frequently fall to when losing an argument answer you. I'm sure someone will put a link here to embarass you even further.

Heheh Sina mengi ya kusema. If you are one of the Tanzanian Economic Experts, or creme dela creme of Tanzania then i'm sorry you guys have a long way to go.
Wacha "manyangau wa Kenya" the words you guys frequently fall to when losing an argument answer you. I'm sure someone will put a link here to embarass you even further.

...U tryna be funny huh?...The reason I put the link is for folks to see where the company, which is an LLC
is registered....not in Nairobi!!!.... Ok now where do we go from there?

...Why dont u put the link and not wait for somebody else?...Mna kazi nyie watu!

Many of Tanzanias supposed high end tourists "Bill Gates " for example have been handled by Abercrombie and Kent A&K which is a Kenyan firm.

Geoffrey Kent, Founder and Executive Chairman | Abercrombie & Kent
"The Kent formula of providing a "luxury cocoon" from which to explore the world attracts prominent guests as diverse as James Brolin, Kristin Davis, Bill Gates, John Grisham, Tom Hanks, Dr. Henry Kissinger, Goldie Hawn, Lauren Hutton, Sharon Lawrence, Liam Neeson, Rachael Ray, Diane Sawyer, Jane Seymour, Barbara Walters, Denzel Washington and Oprah Winfrey. These high-profile travelers are among the literally thousands of well-known people who have journeyed to the wildest and most remote corners of the globe with A&K."

Most high end tourists money doesn't benefit Tanzanians because most of the big foreign firms recieve the main payment abroad, and that most of money stays abroad. Tanzanians just get the peanuts" Souvenirs money and Tips"

Guys are assuming that backpackers don't have money and don't spend money. Many tourists nowadays want to book by themselves, land in Tanzania then probably go to Hamisi"s Street Corner Tours and Safaris and organize an inpromptu city tour or Safari to Serengeti. This tourist will be taken by Hamisi to a local Souvenir store wher Hamisi will get the best commision. The Small Tanzanian Curio shop owner and both Hamisi will benefit. You wont see Bill gates coming to these little Curio stands. A&K will probably recommend for him a high end Curio shop thats probably owned by A&K.

By claiming that you only want high end tourists, you are actually indirectly killing your little Tour firms that are genuinely Tanzanian.
Guys need to stop lying that Tanzania is an exclusive high end tourist destinantion, while just a quick survey online shows Tanzania has alot of cheap packages, medium priced packages, and also a few high end packages just like many other countries in the same business.

Also i don't think any businessman wants to spend money doing all the marketing work, then for some officials to add a crazy fee at the border claiming that this protects Tanzania.
The suggestion to open offices in Tanzania and employ Tanzanians is crazy. It's like folks are just sitting waiting for someone else to do the hard work, then get charged a crazy unnecessary fee, then set up office in Tanzania and create jobs for Tanzanians. What's the job of the Tanzanian Govt?

Seriously someone is sitting down in his office expecting this to happen? You expect tourists to be brought to you to spend money in you country, and also to be handed free jobs on a silver platter on top of the 200$ fee?. How about the money the companies spent on marketing. Will they get that from Tanzania?

Its harder and more expensive for example to ship a container within Africa, than shipping the same container from China or Japan for example on top of that we have created so many trading barriers that have made trading between ourselves a nightmare.
While other countries are progressing we are regressing. Also in the spirit of EAC why charge only Kenya and not other countries? It's just outright petty. I am curious how your Economic experts came to this 200$ figure and what they said its exactly for? Also how is the money spent. Do Tanzanian regular folks even benefit from the money?

Also did they calculate the repercussions?

idiot...everything is Kenyan even Bata shoe company is Kenyan! check here to erase ur ignorance

Back
Top Bottom