Kenya tour operators warn tanzania on unfairness

Hello guys. I'm new to this forum. I'm just curious how exactly does Kenya claim to own Mt Kilimanjaro and Serengeti? I've read a few posts that claim that Kenya advertises Mt Kilimanjaro as being in Kenya, and it seems many guys on this forum are especially mad about that.

Can someone post a few sources. I just did a simple research online and i saw many Safari sites that sell Kenyan, Tanzanian and other African countries Safari packages are actually owned and registered abroad. I also did a simple search on the KATO (Kenya association of tour operators) site it looks like the number of sites registered by Kenyans and whites are roughly even( 50/50) currently.

Also i'm curious why is is it wrong, or bad for Kenyans to sell Tanzania packages? I see alot of whites selling Mt Kilimanjaro and many Serengeti packages (They infact do this all over Africa) and no one seems to have a problem with that. Why does a Kenyan(Your black bros and sisters) doing the same thing drive Tanzanians mad? What's wrong with a Kenyan advertsing Mt Kilimanjaro if at the end of the day the tourist travels to Tanzania and spends money there, or travels to both Kenya and Tanzania.
Even South Africans sell Kenyan, and Tanzanian tour packages. Tanzanians do the same thing too. I frankly don't see anything wrong with it. Also ask your self how can you stop that in the current internet world? People of all races and color are selling Tanzania from (Rabat, Alaska, Ulalambatar, Kashmir, Migingo, Kariakor, Majengo to Mogadishu) and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Even if Tanzania were to draft laws to stop online Kilimanjaro & Serengeti package sales, people are smart they will always find a way around it.

It's a free market and at the end of the day its business. In business the most savvy and aggressive person wins. Whites have been doing it since time immemorial. Africans are currently catching up. I don't see anything wrong if Kenyans are currently ahead of the game. We need to stop this black on black hate. Kenyans and Tanzanians need each other. I don't see anything wrong with learning from a Tanzanian, and a Kenyan doing the same thing. We need to rise above petty arguments, and argue over things that will build, unite us, and speed development in East Africa.

The World economy is a free market, and especially with the internet anyone can sell anything in any country from anywhere (China, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Timbuktu you name it). Kenyans and Tanzanians for example sell and advertise Cocacola, Toyota, Peugot. You never here American and British or Frenchmen complaining and telling us not to sell or advertise Cocacola for example because it's American and that only Americans can do that.

Beshte,
We don't have any problem if anyone sell/advertise our packages correctly...
However, our problem arise when you sell our packages under false pretense (i.e., saying Mt. Kilimanjaro is in Kenya is tantamount to a capital crime):A S-omg:

That $200 per van is the money you tried so hard to steal from us.:heh:

• Thanks
Reactions: FJM
Hizo nchi nyingine wanalalamika kwa nini? Hawana mbuga za kupeleka watalii wao? After all Kenya wanataka nini, Mt Kilimanjaro iko Kenya, Serengeti iko Kenya, kila kitu kiko Kenya sasa wanatafuta nini Tanzania?

Na ni kitu gani hawaelewi, Tanzania hawafanyi mass tourism, wasituletee 'back-packers' hapa. Mtu anakuja Tanzania ana uhakika wa kuona wanyama within minutes na sio kubahatisha. But you have to pay for it. Ukiruhusu watu wengi wanyama nao wanasogea, and it will take forever kuona baadhi ya wanyama. Kwa nini uhangaike na back packers 10 wakati unaweza kupata income hiyo hiyo toka kwa mtalii mmoja na ukalinda mazingira yako kwa wengine kufaidi?

Umenena vema ndugu. Naona kumbe unapenda mazingira yetu ya utalii yawe endelevu. Hatuwezi kuwa na mazingira endelevu kama tutaruhusu plunder katika sura iwayo yote ile. Na mass tourism inaweza kuhatarisha mazingira. Entry fee ipandishwe kutoka $200 ifike $500. Hiyo inaitwa discriminative pricing. Watalii uchwara wanaotaka kuja kwa vans waishie Maasai Mara.

Na kuna mtu nadhani katika uzi huu amesema Tanzania inaweza kulegeza masharti 2015. Mwaka huo si mwafaka kwa ulegezwaji wa sharti lolote lile kwa sababu bado Taifa litakuwa dusty kwa uchaguzi na mfumo mpya wa uendeshaji nchi tukitumia katiba mpya ambayo tunaitengeneza sasa kwa amani.

Kama kuna mtu anahitaji kupewa matumiani yoyote katika mambo yanayohusu mifumo ya uendeshaji wa nchi yetu, mimi ninapendekeza tuwaambie labda 2018 tunaweza tukafikiria kubadili mambo hapa na pale baada ya hilo vumbi la uchaguzi na katiba mpya kutulia. Uongozi mpya utakuwa umeshaanza kujua ofisi zimekaaje pale Magogoni na nini tunaweza kufanya kufurahisha majirani zetu. 2015? No...hapana! Kwa sasa entry fee ipandishwe kutoka $200 ifike $500. No...watalii uchwara si muafaka!

Ok guys are just claiming that Kenya is claiming that Kilimanjaro and Serengeti are in Kenya. I have only read about one reason someone wrote here that during Loliondo saga Kenya was misleading tourists that Mt Kilimanjaro is in kenya. I mean come on guys lets not get so low now. Some one please lay down some concrete reasons not loliondo.

Ok another reason for the 200$ fee on Kenyan Vans i'm reading is that Tanzania doent want Mass tourism and that they want high end tourists like Bill Gates.

I haven't read anywhere about a Tanzanian Govt policy that Explicitly says Tanzania only sells to high end tourists. Just do a simple Google search on Tanzania Safaris and for example Kenya Safaris, seriously guys the prices don't vary that much. I don't see High end Tanzania Safaris Ads standing out.

I think this Tanzania doesn't want mass tourism reason as not a strong argument.
Both Kenya and Tanzania have varied products from cheap packages to exclusive high end packages.

Kenya has more hotel rooms currently than Tanzania i believe and its probably easier for tourists to plan their won trip through Kenya. Infact the more our countries develop and with more internet access many tourists are tending to go the plan your own trip way. The organized tour thing will gradually die ( Not 100%) because in all economies we have rich people, middle class, poor people, we have people who have the time to plan their trips, busy people who want organized trips, rich people who want those exclusive packages so there will always be room for all niches.

But my point is the more our economies develop, the more security there is, easy online access, the more affordable decent hotel rooms there are the more you will see people planning their own trips.

Also some guys here seem to think all back packers are poor and have no money, thats not true. They will still travel, spend money on food, hotel, retail shopping, buy souvenirs.

Why stick to a diminishing model? Thats why you need to diverisify. Have multiple income generating models. Most countries economies are like that.
I don't think TZ is an exclusive high end destination.

If i was the Kenyan President i would charge Tanzanian operators the same 200$ fee for a month and test the effects.

@Beshte,
before you there were many positive minds like yours. Anything from a Kenyan wont hold water and be assured you will be called all names, its just a brief orientation, good job for trying to reason out with this club of hardliners. Be objective but always rem before you was matsuo, BabuJ, mzalendo, moyo, smatta, mwembetayari and many others including myself. They start by the term ''nyangau'' and from there no more reasoning prevails. Put your best foot foward, i will be watching from a distance.

beshte said:
Ok guys are just claiming that Kenya is claiming that Kilimanjaro and Serengeti are in Kenya. I have only read about one reason someone wrote here that during Loliondo saga Kenya was misleading tourists that Mt Kilimanjaro is in kenya. I mean come on guys lets not get so low now. Some one please lay down some concrete reasons not loliondo.

Beshte,

..They have been advertising that Kilimanjaro and Serengeti r in Kenya. If we allow tourists to come in without any paying any fee at the border we will really be supporting Kenyan lies and propaganda.

..There is also negative campaign by Kenyans that Kilimanjaro International Airport[KIA] is not safe. Now, should EAC member state engage in negative campaign against one another??

..Last but not least, Tanzania has enough hotel rooms to accomodate every tourist coming to our country. Ur are also buying into Kenyan lies that Tanzania does not have decent hotels.

Articles like these:
Did Queen Victoria yank Mount Kilimanjaro from Kenya?
Published on 12/08/2011
Patrick Wachira
The snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro might be officially on Tanzanian soil, but this has not helped avert controversy as Kenya seeks bragging rights to Africa's highest peak.
Located 20km into the Tanzanian side of the border, the mountain has fuelled acrimony among tour operators from the two countries; who equally market it as one of the main attractions in their respective nations.
nhcap130811_03.jpg
Snow-capped Mt Kilimanjaro. Photo:Reuters
But the incredible irony is that while tourists can only climb Kilimanjaro from Tanzania, they have to visit Kenya's Amboseli National Park to get a perfect view of the mountain. This is coupled with a belief that Kilimanjaro belonged to Kenya but Queen Victoria, then the monarch of the United Kingdom, gave it to her grandson, Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, as a birthday gift in 1886.
"It is said that the Britons gave it out to the Germans when defining the territories. This is partly confirmed by the fact that the borderline from Lake Victoria to the Coast is straight and only broken by a curve around Kilimanjaro," says Dr Ephraim Wahome, a Tourism lecturer at the University of Nairobi.
Apparently, Kenyan online tour marketers have been promoting this belief among tourists while their Tanzanian counterparts formulate theories to contest it. The issue took a political leaning in 2006 when then Tourism Minister Morris Dzoro told a travel agents conference that Mount Kilimanjaro was one of Kenya's top tourist attractions. The Tanzanian tourism ministry openly castigated Kenya over the issue, with Chief Executive of the Tanzanian Association of Tour Operators, Mustapha Akunaay accusing Kenya of hoodwinking tourist into believing the mountain is in Kenya.
Today, hundreds of Kenyan tour and travel agencies explicitly use the mountain to market their safaris. While Tanzania markets the climbing aspect, Kenya has been marketing the viewing aspect...
Source:
The Standard | Did Queen Victoria yank Mount Kilimanjaro from Kenya?
If you can view it and get satisfied from your side why bother crossing into our border and pay the $200???:)

I haven't read anywhere about a Tanzanian Govt policy that Explicitly says Tanzania only sells to high end tourists. Just do a simple Google search on Tanzania Safaris and for example Kenya Safaris, seriously guys the prices don't vary that much.

There is a huge difference, an average tourist spends around $500 per day in Kenya while s/he spend around $ 1200 in Tanzania. That is the main reason why Tanzania generated more revenue from tourism in the last 3 years...do you need this data???
A%20S-omg.gif

Despite the fact that Kenya attracted a larger number of tourists than Tanzania.
beshte said:
If i was the Kenyan President i would charge Tanzanian operators the same 200$ fee for a month and test the effects.
That will be a perfect thing to do:)because it will mean==longer stay in Tanzania===more mulla!!!:heh:

About Mt Kilimanjaro the truth hurts. The best view is from Amboselli. I dont see why this hurts TZ folks that much. I mean so what should Amboselli folks do place a curtain along the border so that tourists dont see it?

About Mt Kilimanjaro the truth hurts. The best view is from Amboselli. I dont see why this hurts TZ folks that much. I mean so what should Amboselli folks do place a curtain along the border so that tourists dont see it?

beshte,

..actually West Kilimanjaro gives u a better view than Amboseli.

..lakini huku Tanzania kuna tourist attractions za kila aina. Southern Tanzania is opening up with places like Selous,Katavi,Gombe[gorilla santuary] etc etc.

..Kenyan tourist companies have every reason to consider opening offices in Tanzania, and advertise Tanzanian tourist attractions.

Soo Jokakuu by saying "If we allow tourists to come in without any paying any fee at the border we will really be supporting Kenyan lies and propaganda" you are suggesting that Tanzanian Govt officials base their Economic decisions on Kenyan lies & Propaganda?

If this is the reason you guys are charging Kenyans you need to fire your Economic Experts at your Trade ministry.

I even read that your Govt is denying Kenya's NTV a license to broadcast in Tanzania despite the fact that it will create jobs for Tanzanians. NTV is ready to start operations, but your Govt officials are giving them endless weak reasons for the delay.

Soo Jokakuu by saying "If we allow tourists to come in without any paying any fee at the border we will really be supporting Kenyan lies and propaganda" you are suggesting that Tanzanian Govt officials base their Economic decisions on Kenyan lies & Propaganda?

If this is the reason you guys are charging Kenyans you need to fire your Economic Experts at your Trade ministry.

I even read that your Govt is denying Kenya's NTV a license to broadcast in Tanzania despite the fact that it will create jobs for Tanzanians. NTV is ready to start operations, but your Govt officials are giving them endless weak reasons for the delay.

bashte,

..not exactly.

..but i think it will encourage kenyan tourist companies to consider opening offices in tanzania, employ tanzanians, and pay taxes to tanzanian government.

..tell me what benefits shall we get in allowing tourist who have landed in JKIA,travelling on trucks owned by kenyans tourists companies, and r staying in hotels in Kenya, to just come in and out of tanzania without paying any fee?

..kwanini Kenya Airways haitui Kilimanjaro International Airport wakati KLM na Ethiopian Airways do?? Leta hao watalii moja kwa moja Tanzania kama wanataka kuja kuona attractions zetu.

NB:

..I am all for KTV to start broadcasting in Tanzania.

..Also I cant wait for AlJazeera Swahili services.

..nategemea watakuwa fair and wont be in the Chama Cha Mapinduzi[CCM] pockets.

Tanzania is going digital. If NTV is looking for an analogue licence then nothing will happen. Citizen inapatikana through DSTV, can NTV do the same?

beshte, pata kitu roho inataka that's my moto, so if the best view is from Amboselli - great!
But let me tell something else, the number of people climbing mt Kilimanjaro is very high but at the same time we have to protect the environment. Kama mazingiriza ni mabaya hata hao tourists hawatakuja.

Joka Kuu

Kenya Airways flies to Kilimanjaro Airport (Through Precision Air) isn't that good enough? I believe they have a sizeable amount of shares in Precision. I just checked their website.

When Kenyan Overland trucks drive tourists through Tanzania. they buy fuel in Tanzania, they by food in Tanzania, Souvenirs (They offcourse stop in many places in Tanzania, they sometimes use Tanzanian accomodation) Also many Overland tour packages are designed to include many miscellaneous stops and activities that tourists pay for allong the way. Most of these extra activities are not included in the advertised price and if its a city tour or day trip to some park in Tanzania along the way that money offcourse stays in Tanzania.
If Tanzania is the last stop they clients use your Airport to depart and use Tanzanian transport to go to the airport.

We nowadays also have many multi country packages and clients choose the most convinient place to start and end their trip. Nairobi is an Airline hub in the East. Maybe Air Tanzania or the Tanzanian Govt should strive to make Dar or Kilimanjaro a hub too to counter this.
KQ as a company makes decisions based on profit, convinience and cost. It also obviously promotes Nairobi as a hub Thus making most of its incoming flights go through Nairobi. Most Emirates flights start, connect thru, or end in Dubai.

Most sales are nowadays done online. Kenyan firms and other International firms don't really need to open offices in Tanzania. Many firms have Tanzanian partners who handle their business on the ground. I also believe we already have many Kenyan firms with offices in Tanzania.

FJM
"the number of people climbing mt Kilimanjaro is very high but at the same time we have to protect the environment. Kama mazingiriza ni mabaya hata hao tourists hawatakuja"

Isn"t this technically Mass Tourism that you guys are using as a reason to charge Kenyan vans. So it's ok for mass tourism on the Kilimanjaro? You guys are funny.

FJM
"the number of people climbing mt Kilimanjaro is very high but at the same time we have to protect the environment. Kama mazingiriza ni mabaya hata hao tourists hawatakuja"

Isn"t this technically Mass Tourism that you guys are using as a reason to charge Kenyan vans. So it's ok for mass tourism on the Kilimanjaro? You guys are funny.

There is only one Mt Kilimanjaro and tourists are coming from all directions i.e Dar, Nairobi, etc. And challenge is how you generate income while protecting the environment? The best way to achieve that is to increase the fee and lower the number of visitors. So far so good!

1 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom