** Kenya beats Fiji**

Mnairobi

JF-Expert Member
Oct 27, 2007
Damn these guys rock, after new zealand now Fiji. They now automatically qualify for the Rugby world cup in 2013, go kenya go kenya go kenya
Kenya stun Fiji in day of World Sevens upsets

DUBAI (AFP) - Kenya sensationally dumped defending champions Fiji out of the Rugby World Cup Sevens tournament here on Saturday as the three other top seeds, New Zealand, South Africa and England, all also exited.
ADVERTISEMENT

Kenya beat Fiji 26-7 to set up a Cup semi-final clash with Argentina, for whom Martin Bustos Moyano scored two second-half converted tries in their 14-12 win over South Africa.

To chants of "We can do it" from a sizeable Kenyan contingent in the 35,000-strong crowd, tries from Lavin Asego, Biko Adema, captain Humphrey Kayange and Collins Injera handed the Africans a historic victory.

Fiji looked flat-footed and Kenya's physicality in the contact area unsettled their opponents who made an uncharacteristically high number of handling errors.

The Springboks and England currently head the IRB World Series Sevens, separate from this World Cup, but form on the global sevens circuit was thrown out of the window in steamy conditions at the Sevens Stadium.

England lost a sudden death match against Samoa, Simaika Mikaele the extra time hero for the South Sea Islanders when he jinked to cross under the posts.

Samoa thought they had it through Alafoti Faosiliva but a last-gasp try from Fiji-born Josh Drauniniu took it to extra time.

"Well done to my boys, they fought back in the last minute. I was shocked but I think the boys believed in themselves. It is all about self-confidence," said Samoa coach Rudy Moors.

England coach Ben Ryan admitted the defeat had been "a pretty bitter pill to swallow. It is certainly the most disappointing moment to date.

"I am hugely disappointed for the players because this was a World Cup-winning side that we had got together and they showed that last night and they showed it up until extra time when we came roaring back into it, when we just made a couple of the wrong decisions.

"But we didn't hold on to the ball. Extra time is all about holding on to the ball and making sure that we create an opportunity and don't force things - there is no need to."

Wales were first up in the quarter-finals against New Zealand, last season's IRB World Series champions, and went into the second-half 10-7 down.

But Tom Isaacs scored a decisive try for the Welsh, hacking onto a loose pass and touching down.

The impressive Lee Williams and Richie Pugh scored earlier tries for the Welsh to nullify those by Lote Raikabula and Zar Lawrence.

New Zealand's Viliame Waqaseduadua was left ruing his luck after spilling a ball with the line at his mercy just seconds before Isaacs notched up the winning score.
Kenya stun Fiji in day of World Sevens upsets - Yahoo! Canada News