Is Sukari by Zuchu Indicative of WCB and Tanzanian Artists Abandoning Anti-Black,Africanism,and Colourism in Music Videos? If so,thank Kendrik Lamar

Hisha Sorel

Dec 27, 2017
I still remember watching Kendrick Lamar and SZA music video “All the stars” and how it made me feel about blackness, beauty, mysticism, and power.

Until then, I had not yet seen a positive portrayal of African-ness. Compared to its European counterpart, African culture, scenery, and its people have never been romanticised.

KENDRIK LAMAR.PNG

Medieval lifestyle, Victorian shabbiness, Edwardian fashion, and many other quirks of the west have all been transformed by modern photographers, painters, and videographers into desirable fads—used by western and non-western artist alike.

Yet huts, kitenge clothing, face paints, African hairstyles, lifestyle, and dark skin colour have only attracted the interest of tourists, war, and poverty imagery.

African aesthetics has never been romanticised until recently. Beforehand, music sub-genre such as bongo flava would not have dared to feature anything that could have been described as African. Black women as vixen and local setting for a music video were only adopted due to budget limitations.

Securing an Asian or white person, even non-professionals, made the video highly regarded. In fact, this in mid 2000s, artist such as Juma nature and Mr. Nice even used tourists—with their works being met with praises because of it. Asian women were equally hard to secure, so for young artist, women of mixed race were a sought-after as an alternative.

This trend worsened with increased access to higher budgets since artist were now able to travel to South Africa where the population of white and Asian women is higher.

Diamond platinumz and WCB team were one of the first artists in Tanzania to fully adopt this trend. The most notable video demonstrating this is “mdogo mdogo” where Diamond Platinumz portrayed as an African-native seeking an approval of white feudal family to marry their white daughter.
horse.PNG

The video light and costumes maintained the established photography aesthetics of portraying white women as pure through a style of lighting that create growing effect on their skin—masking any features. The video adopts a romanticised medieval period borrowed from western films.

The power dynamic is perhaps well communicated in a scene where a white love interest rides diamond on a white horse-back. In this scene Diamond looks weaker and even subservient yet I must testify that I highly doubt it that this was the objective of the video beyond exhibiting diamond platinumz capacity to cast a white woman on his video.

The trend of casting white vixens proceeded into works such “Nitampata wapi” with diamond platinumz acting as a host to a white or mixed woman; meanwhile in hallelujah, women of mixed races were used. The central premise of all these videos; whether it was Rich Mavoko, Davido, or Harmonize; were to present the vixen as an essence of beauty. In their works these artists made it clear that they consider blackness to not meet their definition of beauty or success.

Diamond Plat 2.PNG

Yet as of recently, this trend begun to change with more videos featuring only black vixens and in settings representing Africa. It is hard to overstate the contribution of white directors into motivating African artist into recognising the beauty of their homes and people.

In one interview, South African director the Godfather was astonished by the reluctance of Tanzanian artist to shoot video in their own homes considering its beauty. Works such as “All the stars” made by Dave Meyers captured this opinion greatly.

Meyers used strong colours to add beauty to his setting and subject. As light is used to mask skin features of white models, dark tone of subjects is exaggerated while the subject embellished with variety of ornaments hence bringing out the beauty of their blackness.

Black.PNG

Features that would have been haphazardly presented by previous directors are carefully displayed hence presenting them in positive light in-turn influencing the judgement of the viewer.
Kendrik LAMAR 2.PNG

This style of music videos has now become a staple in Nigeria and south African music scene with works of Yemi Alade and Mafikizolo using it to great effect.

WCB recent works seem to suggest an end to an era of white washing African culture. Three works signifies this change: Sukari by Zuchu, Shusha by Diamond platinumz ft Baba Levo, and Bado sana by Lava Lava ft Diamond platinumz. All these works mixed bright colours and African aesthetics to communicate beauty, festive, and power.

AF1.PNG

This a positive direction for African music as music has significant influence in self-perception and esteem. Presentation of blackness as positive, powerful, and beautiful may help in reducing body image problem which is a significant cause of skin breaching and weave wearing among black women.

Bado sana.PNG

Edit: correction: the race of the producer "Godfather" has been omitted as it was incorrectly assumed after only reading his interview.

Safari ya kujikubali labda ndo inaanza na kubwa hawa wasimamiaji wakuu wa video kama kina Director Kenny waanze kupata somo na uelewa mkubwa kuhusu tamaduni za Ki Africa

This a positive direction for African music as music has significant influence in self-perception and esteem. Presentation of blackness as positive, powerful, and beautiful may help in reducing body image problem which is a significant cause of skin breaching and weave wearing among black women.
Of course, and that makes me even wonder how come someone looking to advocate Africanism decides to communicate with Africans using colonial White men's language, in a population that barely use that stated language!

Of course, and that makes me even wonder how come someone looking to advocate Africanism decides to communicate with Africans using colonial White men's language, in a population that barely use that colonial language!
He/She is just in a WCB cult following trend, trying to play mind games.

The case with white models in South Africa were described in full, long time ago.

Why is Wanne Star underated when it comes to Africanism, if that's the case.

Of course, and that makes me even wonder how come someone looking to advocate Africanism decides to communicate with Africans using colonial White men's language, in a population that barely use that stated language!
I was wondering the same!

I mean he used latin letters, western technology, and concepts!

What an hypocrite, he should have used 100% African technology because that is what you do when you are advocating for something

You 100% refrain from using anything made by people you are criticizing

You cant denounce racism with english language, bacause English is a colonial language

So you must use native tongue, technology, ...

You have missed the point of the Essay.

This post does NOT wish to downplay western aesthetics, but simply questions the absence of romanticized African Imagery from African Arts.

The language choice mirrors the topic greatly.

Topics of Race and identity are not well established* in general kiswahili.

This is due to the fact that the Tanzanian Education system does not adress these issues.

And I am not intellectually capable of doing that with sufficient depth.

In fact I was Educated about these issues through western Education system with materials made by western intellectuals.

In the Essay, if you read it, a white director was responsible for producing a piece of work romanticizing Africanism.

Similarly, it is English, a colonial Language, that contains precise general term to dicuss issues of race and identity.

This essay was not intended to reach the general public, that is beyond my scope.

I was wondering the same!

I mean he used latin letters, western technology, and concepts!

What an hypocrite, he should have used 100% African technology because that is what you do when you are advocating for something

You 100% refrain from using anything made by people you are criticizing

You cant denounce racism with english language, bacause English is a colonial language

So you must use native tongue, technology, ...

Was it necessary to use English to communicate with Swahili Speakers?! Does the subject bears the elements of foreign interests so that we can justify it as having some universal touches?

Was it necessary to use English to communicate with Swahili Speakers?! Does the subject bears the elements of foreign interests so that we can justify it as having some universal touches?
I really don't understand: what are your grievances?

This is a English section in Jamiiforum, for English speakers and readers

Sizable portion of East African Population and Tanzanian population can speak English.

That was a target audience

Secondly, Colorism is a huge problem in African arts and general society.

Foreign interest!!

I am so curious as what really is your actual problem.

Please share

Tatizo lugha.....
Nilidhani Jamii forum palace ni ya English au nimekosea (nipo serious)

Nitazingatia kuandika kwa kiswahili ila mada za Rangi ya ngozi, matabaka, na siasa huwa siwezi kuandika kwa Kiswahili.

Sijawahi kusoma kazi za waandishi wa Tanzania kuhusu hizi mada

You have missed the point of the Essay.

This post does NOT wish to downplay western aesthetics, but simply questions the absence of romanticized African Imagery from African Arts.
Never said anywhere that you're trying to downgrade some western aesthetics but it felt like you're trying to advocate of African culture! So, am still wondering how can such a person decides to use a foreign western language to a local population instead of African language spoken by the target audience!

Seems I was completely wrong!
The language choice mirrors the topic greatly.
Does English mirrors this topic?! We're talking about akina Mbosso here, who may even not that good with English! Forget about artists and other crew members, and let's get back to your audience (JF Members)! Do you believe people are that comfortable with English?

To me, it feels like the same old trend of Bongo Flavor using whites/light skinned vixens!
Topics of Race and identity are not well established* in general kiswahili.
Come again?
This is due to the fact that the Tanzanian Education system does not adress these issues.
Oh! You mean topics of races and identity aren't well established in general Kiswahili, and above is your justification?! And what you're trying to say is, you can easily communicate with Tanzanians about race and identity issues and become easily understandable when using English and not Kiswahili?! Dude, are you talking about the same Tanzania ambayo tumekuwa tukiimba issues za race since Nyerere era au Tanzania ipi hasa?!
And I am not intellectually capable of doing that with sufficient depth.
Maybe it's time for you to understand that, we're also not capable of understanding what you have written because in our classrooms, even Physics that's taught in English, our teachers had to elaborate in Kiswahili! And if am not mistaken, it's not uncommon even for English teachers to use Kiswahili to make their students understand English subject!
In fact I was Educated about these issues through western Education system with materials made by western intellectuals.
What was your first word to hear in your life between "ubaguzi wa rangi" and "racism" or between "ubaguzi" and "discrimination"?
In the Essay, if you read it, a white director was responsible for producing a piece of work romanticizing Africanism.
As I repeat reading the essay, all I can see is BLACK South African Video Producer, Godfather, being the one who was producing videos featuring Whites/Light Skinned vixens!
Similarly, it is English, a colonial Language, that contains precise general term to dicuss issues of race and identity.
I don't see many technical terms in the English used on this thread, and therefore, it's an insult to Kiswahili to portray that, Kiswahili has extra-ordinary limited vocabularies to the point it can't fit even in your thread that has just used general English!
This essay was not intended to reach the general public, that is beyond my scope.
The honest way was to say "I love English, and fvck your bullshit language"

I still remember watching Kendrick Lamar and SZA music video “All the stars” and how it made me feel about blackness, beauty, mysticism, and power.

Until then, I had not yet seen a positive portrayal of African-ness. Compared to its European counterpart, African culture, scenery, and its people have never been romanticised.

View attachment 1690802
Medieval lifestyle, Victorian shabbiness, Edwardian fashion, and many other quirks of the west have all been transformed by modern photographers, painters, and videographers into desirable fads—used by western and non-western artist alike.

Yet huts, kitenge clothing, face paints, African hairstyles, lifestyle, and dark skin colour have only attracted the interest of tourists, war, and poverty imagery.

African aesthetics has never been romanticised until recently. Beforehand, music sub-genre such as bongo flava would not have dared to feature anything that could have been described as African. Black women as vixen and local setting for a music video were only adopted due to budget limitations.

Securing an Asian or white person, even non-professionals, made the video highly regarded. In fact, this in mid 2000s, artist such as Juma nature and Mr. Nice even used tourists—with their works being met with praises because of it. Asian women were equally hard to secure, so for young artist, women of mixed race were a sought-after as an alternative.

This trend worsened with increased access to higher budgets since artist were now able to travel to South Africa where the population of white and Asian women is higher.

Diamond platinumz and WCB team were one of the first artists in Tanzania to fully adopt this trend. The most notable video demonstrating this is “mdogo mdogo” where Diamond Platinumz portrayed as an African-native seeking an approval of white feudal family to marry their white daughter.
View attachment 1690796
The video light and costumes maintained the established photography aesthetics of portraying white women as pure through a style of lighting that create growing effect on their skin—masking any features. The video adopts a romanticised medieval period borrowed from western films.

The power dynamic is perhaps well communicated in a scene where a white love interest rides diamond on a white horse-back. In this scene Diamond looks weaker and even subservient yet I must testify that I highly doubt it that this was the objective of the video beyond exhibiting diamond platinumz capacity to cast a white woman on his video.

The trend of casting white vixens proceeded into works such “Nitampata wapi” with diamond platinumz acting as a host to a white or mixed woman; meanwhile in hallelujah, women of mixed races were used. The central premise of all these videos; whether it was Rich Mavoko, Davido, or Harmonize; were to present the vixen as an essence of beauty. In their works these artists made it clear that they consider blackness to not meet their definition of beauty or success.

View attachment 1690798

Yet as of recently, this trend begun to change with more videos featuring only black vixens and in settings representing Africa. It is hard to overstate the contribution of white directors into motivating African artist into recognising the beauty of their homes and people.

In one interview, the white South African director the Godfather was astonished by the reluctance of Tanzanian artist to shoot video in their own homes considering its beauty. Works such as “All the stars” made by Dave Meyers captured this opinion greatly.

Meyers used strong colours to add beauty to his setting and subject. As light is used to mask skin features of white models, dark tone of subjects is exaggerated while the subject embellished with variety of ornaments hence bringing out the beauty of their blackness.

View attachment 1690801

Features that would have been haphazardly presented by previous directors are carefully displayed hence presenting them in positive light in-turn influencing the judgement of the viewer.
View attachment 1690807

This style of music videos has now become a staple in Nigeria and south African music scene with works of Yemi Alade and Mafikizolo using it to great effect.

WCB recent works seem to suggest an end to an era of white washing African culture. Three works signifies this change: Sukari by Zuchu, Shusha by Diamond platinumz ft Baba Levo, and Bado sana by Lava Lava ft Diamond platinumz. All these works mixed bright colours and African aesthetics to communicate beauty, festive, and power.

View attachment 1690803

View attachment 1690808
Wasafi hawajitambui na hawana malengo, kila kitu ni ushamba tu

I got you :
Jamiiforum Rules.PNG

So you main complaint is that English was used rather than Kiswahili, and you wish the subject was in Kiswahili

1. The simple reason is that I simply cant write precisely about Race and Identity using Kiswahili: that the truth and it will remain that

2. I admitted it my Education in Kiswahili about "Ubaguzi" was not comprehensive enough: yours was, so there is that!

3. There is a huge difference between going out of your way to hire and pay white models < Harmonise was quoted saying in Millard ayo interview that it was hard to find black vixens, as those that were available were unattractive as there were not mixed race (this is not a direct quote but paraphrase): On the other hand, I am targeting English reading Audience (that is why I posted in a English forum and not Kiswahili one".

4. it is not about terms only, I am also talking about concepts: <arrangement of ideas and words>, I am simply not as able writing in Kiswahili about this issues but you don't seem to get it.