Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Is Loliondo A Lost Cause/Case?

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by ngoshwe, Apr 12, 2010.

1. ngoshwe

ngoshwe JF-Expert Member

Apr 12, 2010

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]naituma kama nilivyopokea kutoka chanzo:

Attached Files:

2. N

Nyamera Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Thank you for posting this, Ngoshwe. I’ve got a little bit of information myself. The women who spent the night at Wasso airstrip succeeded in reaching the CCM office in Loliondo on 8 April. They handed in 1,883 CCM cards and promised to bring thousands of more cards on the 16th if their demands are not met.

The three principal demands:
    1. That the parliamentary committee’s report into evictions of July 2009, blocked b the CCM caucus in February, be tabled when Parliament reopens this week (tomorrow, I think).

2. That the government disavow plans to cut village land creating a buffer zone along the boundary of Serengeti National Park.

3. That women be allowed to have a peaceful demonstration in Loliondo town, since previous requests were turned down by the police.

Journalists, both TV and print, were scandalously slow in reaching Loliondo, but arrived just in time to report from the handing in of CCM cards. Though I can’t find anything in the on-line newspapers. Has there been anything on Tanzanian television?

I don’t understand what the councillors to the district were thinking in March when they got along with the idea of giving land to OBC. Maybe they thought it was a safe thing to do recieving some benefits while they don’t have a mandate to give away the land anyway. It’s village land and has to be approved by village assemblies and village councils.

As to the question, “ Is Loliondo a lost cause/case?”. No, things look bad, but with the kind of women that live there the case is not lost.

I am just a Swedish tourist who has come across information about what’s happening in Loliondo on discussion forums. A couple of months ago I went there to ask people on the ground about what Thomson Safaris are saying. I ended up being interrogated by the Ngorongoro Security Committee and eventually I was thrown out of the country. I’ve written about my experiences here: http://termitemoundview.blogspot.com/2010/03/sukenya-farm-conflict-what-thomson.html
  3. N

Nyamera Member

Apr 13, 2010
    There is serious harassment of civil society organisations in Loliondo. Yesterday afternoon the leadership of one organisation were interrogated and locked up for the night. Today they have been released on bail. It’s difficult to understand what offence they are supposed to have committed. The DC can’t believe that village women have organised the protests themselves, which they have, and even if they would have got some assistance it can’t possibly be against Tanzanian law to march to Loliondo and hand in CCM cards. The explanation is that Loliondo is a police state, which I have personally experienced.
  4. J

Judithfe New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Ngoshwe, ashe naleng for passing these informations. I am living in Germany and I would like to get in email contact with you for certain reasons. Would be nice if you could send me your email adress to lilimarino@web.de
  5. G

George Smiley JF-Expert Member

Mar 2, 2013
    bags of money made these sane politicians lose conciousness