Hage Geingob (Full interview) (Namibia Documentary Series)

bagamoyo

JF-Expert Member
Jan 14, 2010

Hage Geingob (Full interview) (Namibia Documentary Series)

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zfNQ1MqEBVc

We had the pleasure to sit down with Namibian Prime Minister and former anti-apartheid activist Hage Geinbob in August 2012. He was kind enough to tell his story, focusing particularly on his time at Fordham University in New York and of the experiences at the United Nations Institute for Namibia in Lusaka ....

Roman and Greek history, arts and philosophy studies why not African studies at University in 1960s .....

Black Panther Movement and their poetry together with marijuana smoking amazed me and disappointments too, to the extend of wondering if my black American brethren are serious about their struggle

There was good democracy over there in 1960s and 1970s in the American universities, great debates for those who support Vietnam war and one's who were against the war. Great atmosphere for me who came from a country South West Africa later renamed Namibia which was still under apartheid and no democracy or freedom of speech.

United Nation Council for Namibia International Court of Justice in 1960s let down Namibians call for freedom and that is were armed struggle idea evolved after the failure of international community to support peaceful transition to freedom via talking and persuasion on the civic forums.

Back in Lusaka Zambia was appointed to work with United Nation international system to help train Namibians to be ready for independence. Through this special program many were sent to universities and this was a good contribution from the United Nations...

The war was also going on in Namibia to liberate the country. A lot Sabotages were happening in Lusaka Zambia perpetrated by South Africa security apparatus to slow us down on our struggle to attain independence ...

We had to go to London to buy suits so when we land back in Namibia we should look like proper government administrators not armed struggle troops from the bush war

The fear of unknown of why blacks and white don't mix in Namibia and we had to re-address that issue after independence. The fear of a black government in Namibia was because all Namibians being white or black don't talk...

Back
Top Bottom