Gaddafi outlines African vision

WembeMkali

JF-Expert Member
Jun 16, 2007
Libyan leader and current African Union chairman Muammar Gaddafi has spelled out his plans to create a United States of Africa.

At an AU Executive Council session in Tripoli, he called on the continent to speed up the integration process.

His vision of a pan-African government was at the heart of disputes at February's AU summit in Ethiopia.

He said an African Union Authority would replace all other organs and be run by three co-ordinators.

The BBC's Rana Jawad in Tripoli says the establishment of an AU Authority is meant to be the starting point for the envisioned United States of Africa.

More than 60 AU ministers and delegates gathered for a one-day meeting in the Libyan capital to hear Col Gaddafi outline in detail for the first time how his plan would work.

He proposed:

• The current AU Executive Council appoint a head secretary to be in charge of the continent's foreign affairs

• The AU's economic development programme, the New Partnership for Africa's Development (Nepad), would oversee foreign trade

• The head of the AU's Peace and Security Council would run the continent's defence matters

Col Gaddafi envisages a single African military force, a single currency and a single passport for Africans to move freely around the continent.

Some officials, particularly from countries more favourable towards Libya have expressed a positive outlook towards the plan, while admitting it will take some time to implement.

But many will privately express deep concern over issues like state sovereignty, says our correspondent.

And others feel the divisions across the continent over the matter are simply too deep to overcome at this time, she adds.

My take:
I absolutely agree with Col.Gaddafi..we need United states of Africa! the current African Union structure is not working..it has failed to resolve many of the continent problems.Its like a toothless dog.Actually i can even go further and say that its waste of time and money if Africa Union continues with its current structure! Ni heri kutokuwa nao tujue moja!
Look at the problems facing the continent.Look at Somalia..look at Congo..Look at Darful.. look at Madagasca! Look at Guinea ..you can continue to name and count up to hundreds or thousands..still Africans seem not to get it right! Right now Africa is the most poorest continent on the earth!!
Jamani we need more than countries or regional bodies...

Last edited:
I am one of those who think we really do not need armies in evry country. One Army for Africa can do us alot of saving in that area. The three aspects: foreign relations, security and economic cooperation are indeed important for Africa as one. It may seem to many that the idea is ambitious but that is actually the only way to development. Until we have a real African Union we can not command significant attention f the world - individually. I know the western powers do not like this idea. But it is the only way to get out of our current visious cirle.

Back
Top Bottom