Dec 23, 2009
Foreign fresh fish dumped on Dar

By Khalfan Said

30th December 2009

headline_bullet.jpg
RC Lukuvi bans business pending approval by TFDA

LukuviDar(1).jpg

Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner William Lukuvi

The Dar es Salaam market is flooded with fish believed to be secretly entering Tanzania illegally from as far away as China and India, it was revealed yesterday.

Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner William Lukuvi who disclosed the existence of the illegal dealings told ‘The Guardian’ in a telephone interview he had imposed an indefinite ban on the business.

He pronounced the ban during a brief visit at the Ferry Fish Market in Dar es Salaam, where he said his office has been tipped off that the market was the entry point for containers allegedly ferried in from China and India.

“I am very surprised. How can market authorities allow these foreign fresh fish to be sold without certification from the Tanzania Food and Drugs Authority (TFDA)?” Lukuvi queried.

The Regional Commissioner said the ban will stand pending approval by responsible government authorities, including TFDA. Efforts to get comments from the drug authority proved futile.

Lukuvi also gave a one-month ultimatum to the fish market’s management to ensure all revenue collections from the market is channelled into government coffers and not into individual pockets as was the case now.

Both Livestock and Fisheries Minister, Dr John Magufuli and his deputy, Dr James Wanyancha were not available for comment yesterday.

The two were contacted to give a statement regarding speculations that fresh fish now being sold at several markets in the city had actually not been imported from the two giant Asian countries.

Word going the rounds has it that the fresh fish is a catch from Tanzania’s deep sea, just like the tuna, which authorities impounded few months ago.
Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) Director for Tax Payers and Services Protas Mmanda said he wasn’t aware of the fish illegally brought in.

“We are not aware of the fish being smuggled through the Ferry market. Let me cross-check with my colleagues and I will call back,” he said.
In a later follow up call, Mmanda said all respective commissioners were unaware of the matter.

Meanwhile Lukuvi who made an inspection tour of the Ferry market also expressed concern over the meager revenue collections compared to the capacity of the market.

He accused some of the fish market officials of dishonesty, saying the money had been diverted for their own benefit.
The RC said reports showed that there were officials who were colluding with dishonest fish sellers and other business people to pay lower fees to conduct business within the market.

“I am told the annual revenue stands at 190m/-. This is unacceptable. There are so many business activities going on here, and if the management will open its eyes, I am sure the revenue could go up to 300m/- annually,” said Lukuvi who was accompanied by Ilala District Commissioner Evans Balama.

The RC was also angered by the unhygienic condition of the market and ordered that quick measures be taken to solve the problem.
He also urged the fish market leaders to stress the use of charcoal efficient stoves.

“I give you one-month to bring non polluting cooking stoves instead of using firewood,” directed Lukuvi.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN

Back
Top Bottom