Elections 2010 Beyond Kikwete: Will the slighted Slaa be the star of the succession script?

Kiranga

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2009
From The East African

Beyond Kikwete: Will the slighted Slaa be the star of the succession script?

Jenerali+Ulimwengu.jpg

By Jenerali Ulimwengu
July 26 2010

When, in 1995, Dr Wilbrod Slaa, a defrocked priest, won CCM's parliamentary primaries in Karatu, Arusha, the party's national structures turned him down in favour of the runner-up, a veteran incumbent.

Slaa promptly jumped ship, joined the nascent opposition CHADEMA, ran against his former party's choice and gave him a good hiding. He won,
notwithstanding CCM presidential candidate Benjamin Mkapa's efforts to campaign for his friend, the incumbent.

Five years later, the ruling party descended on Karatu with fife and drum, swearing it would oust Slaa and "liberate" the constituency. Again, they were trounced.

In between, Slaa and his newfound party had effectively taken over the whole constituency and district of Karatu
to the extent that the village governments and district council were in CHADEMA hands, no mean humiliation for those used to having their way.

Now, this past week, CHADEMA has nominated that very same Slaa to run for the presidency in the October elections, raising a few notches the profile of this interesting man, once rejected by his church
(for reasons which don't concern us here) and once by his party (for personal friendships, important when principles are in short supply).

The reason Slaa joined the opposition in 1995 was that the ruling party and its government had rejected the idea of independent candidates,
insisting, for some reason, that one could not run in any election unless one was put forward by a political party.

Many people, people who should know, argued that this was a serious breach of a fundamental right, but to no avail.

Even Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, venerated founding father, was given short shrift when he tried to talk sense to his heirs.

Apparently these sons and daughters of the great teacher will head his injunctions
only when they serve their purpose, not when they point to logic.

For, what is the logic in a dispensation that claims to open up the doors of popular participation but locks out all those who have not seen a party to join? What would be so sacrosanct about a political party, even if it were not a vehicle for political chicanery?

The intriguing thing about this obstinate refusal to allow independents - the government remains unbending to this day - is that we have not been given a reason for it.
Our rulers cannot even come up with a bogeyman, as other rulers do.

In effect, what they are telling us is, there will be no independent candidates because there will be no independent candidates in this the best of all possible political dispensations, as Panglossian as even Voltaire couldn't have imagined.

However,in another demonstration of cause and effect, we once again encounter the mischievous doings of the law of unintended consequences.

That Freeman Mbowe, chairman of CHADEMA, has so graciously stepped aside in favour of his secretary-general - he is going back to his Hai constituency - may be an indication that some weighing and calculating has been done and the sign of the times read.

In a three-horse race involving incumbent Jakaya Kikwete, CUF's Ibrahim Lipumba and Wilbrod Slaa, only Slaa - currently a menace to CCM in parliament - seems to have a future, so to speak.

My Dear Jenerali,

You of all should know that the politics of Tanzania ends only to our bellies. We have been groomed this way by our founding father and thats the way it will be. Be it in Tz or anywhere in Africa our leaders dont live to their promises. They could be very convincing when they need our votes and they can even jump ship to achieve what they want.

It is a differant picture when asked to deliver. It is in the Constitution of Tanzania and until the constitution is rewriten anew and not revised then there will be no change. Be it CCM, CUF or CHADEMA all come from Tanzania.

Only a new costitution will change the legislation and the people will be freed.

Why call him a slighted person?

I am finally failing to deduce what actually this Ulimwengu is trying to present to voters, in this year of general election.

I had to go back to the top and realize it is a newspaper article and NOT a literature book, so, then why fill the article with short paragraphs which normally make difficulties in interpreting literatures.

Let me forward my dissatisfaction to the writer including the bad writing skill of using excessive many uncommon English language words in such a short article.

Why call him a slighted person?

I am finally failing to deduce what actually this Ulimwengu is trying to present to voters, in this year of general election.

I had to go back to the top and realize it is a newspaper article and NOT a literature book, so, then why fill the article with short paragraphs which normally make difficulties in interpreting literatures.

Let me forward my dissatisfaction to the writer including the bad writing skill of using excessive many uncommon English language words in such a short article.

Ulimwengu called Slaa slighted because Slaa won the 1995 CCM primaries for the Karatu seat, but was passed over in favor of the runner up in the primaries due to CCM favoritism. Ulimwengu stated that clearly in the article, so if you do not see this as a slight this is a problem of your own comprehension as other readers - myself for example - were able to make the connection and see where he is coming from.

About the short sentences, did it ever occur to you that, this being a newspaper article and not a book as you have noted, economy of space was of a paramount importance ?

About the uncommon English words, Ulimwengu was writing for "The East African" and not some ragtag run of the mill yellow sheet.This is a paper intellectuals read, people expected to be comfortably familiar with not only "uncommon english language words" (what other English words are there except for English language words ?) but also the difference between Lenin and Voltaire (I am surprised you did not mention the part about Voltaire) and if possible even some Marx and Hegelian dialectics.

The problem is not Ulimwengu's English, the issue is his level of sophistication and I doubt even if he was writing in Swahili and attempted to use not frequently used Swahili words to paint a clearer picture , I doubt it would make a difference in your cry for dumbing down issues and using only 10% of the dictionary.

"The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone" He will stop at nothing only to see Tanzania back to Tanzanian! For the past 5 years He has been unwavering voice, with unquestionable determination and commitment to the point of putting His own life on the line! To Him I will entrust with my vote!
Go Dr Slaa

Ulimwengu called Slaa slighted because Slaa won the 1995 CCM primaries for the Karatu seat, but was passed over in favor of the runner up in the primaries due to CCM favoritism. Ulimwengu stated that clearly in the article, so if you do not see this as a slight this is a problem of your own comprehension as other readers - myself for example - were able to make the connection and see where he is coming from.

About the short sentences, did it ever occur to you that, this being a newspaper article and not a book as you have noted, economy of space was of a paramount importance ?

About the uncommon English words, Ulimwengu was writing for "The East African" and not some ragtag run of the mill yellow sheet.This is a paper intellectuals read, people expected to be comfortably familiar with not only "uncommon english language words" (what other English words are there except for English language words ?) but also the difference between Lenin and Voltaire (I am surprised you did not mention the part about Voltaire) and if possible even some Marx and Hegelian dialectics.

The problem is not Ulimwengu's English, the issue is his level of sophistication and I doubt even if he was writing in Swahili and attempted to use not frequently used Swahili words to paint a clearer picture , I doubt it would make a difference in your cry for dumbing down issues and using only 10% of the dictionary.

This is a season of going political and I expect any article from any angle. That is why I needed to know themeaning of this text in its full clarity because it is in English and not Latin. Anything can be translated anyhow.

Unless you are Ulimwengu but let him accept to be corrected. Native English speaking countries rarely entertain such language presentation. Using uncommon words be it a Kiswahili (not Swahili) or 'the English', it is a failure. I know my primary school learning days when we used to search for such words and call them vocabularies but using non-spoken words is an annoyance to readers of newspapers.

Probably this is my weakness but I assure you, a newspaper for wide circulation will never use such writing tactics if not, it is a specialized language for specialized readers, I mean a journal, something I don't expect to find it here.

My Dear Jenerali,

You of all should know that the politics of Tanzania ends only to our bellies. We have been groomed this way by our founding father and thats the way it will be. Be it in Tz or anywhere in Africa our leaders dont live to their promises. They could be very convincing when they need our votes and they can even jump ship to achieve what they want.

It is a differant picture when asked to deliver. It is in the Constitution of Tanzania and until the constitution is rewriten anew and not revised then there will be no change. Be it CCM, CUF or CHADEMA all come from Tanzania.

Only a new costitution will change the legislation and the people will be freed.

Neither the good constitution without good implementers can can deliver Tanzanian from the bondage of poverty. It starts with the choice of the right person!

I know for sure that 'the slighted Slaa' a.k.a 'the stone that builders rejected' will put up a good fight just like Ghana did for the World Cup this year in South Africa. However, the same fate that befell Ghana's effort will befall our venerated Dr Slaa, and obviously, for the same reasons. It is still worth putting up the show though, and verily I say unto you, the impact will be very constructive.

Neither the good constitution without good implementers can can deliver Tanzanian from the bondage of poverty. It starts with the choice of the right person!

I may agree that a constitutional change may not be the magic wand, but I hardly agree that the solution has to start with the choice of the right person. If you advocate for this position (it starts with the choice of the right person) essentially you are advocating an emphasis on personalities than on institutions, you can only go so far with this strategy and you will always be at the mercy of that "right person". And to revisit a truism Lord Acton espoused "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". So the very person you think is "the right person" because they presented themselves as such, could be the first to go against the people's interest under some Machiavellian scheme if given the opportunity and no constitutional reprimand.

This is the same reason why Nyerere, after fighting the colonials for so long and having clinched the absolute power in Tanzaniam, used the same oppressive colonial "indefinite detention" laws to detain his political opponents in the early days of Tanzania. This is the same reason that made Kikwete, the once ever so smooth populist and people person who would bend over backward, cross rivers barefoot, kiss dirty peasant's babies and generally do everything short of giving you his wife for popularity, having clinched power in Tanzania, now is talking trash about how he doesn't need workers votes.

This is the same reason that Mkapa, that ever low key first rate journalist and policy wonk, that scrupulous Higher Education Minister who used to return a portion of his Ministry's budget that was not used, that intellectual interested in ideals and not money, before he got absolute power in Tanzania, and after he achieved the ultimate power and with no Nyerere to look over his shoulder, he was using the State House to benefit personally, an abomination to a Nyerereist. Power had gone to their heads. So you have no way of knowing who is "the right person" until that person is in power, and even then, they can change anyday. To remove any doubt about this, to remove any second guessing or fallible estimates, learned people the world over put trust in the rule of law, not in individuals.

The only reason why I say constitutional changes may not be enough is because I believe constitutional changes must be accompanied by civic education to the masses.there is no use in having a beautiful constitution that is not being adhered to and the people do not know enough to care. The people must be educated and must take a personal stake in these matters, until then you can make all the constitutional changes and the powers that be might as well use the constitution in place of toilet paper.It will not be a living constitution, just another piece of paper. We want and deserve more than that.

Indeed, if the people are not educated on the issues, politically aware and active in civics, how can they know the "right person" from "the social climbing Machiavellian usurper" in the first place given the confusing hullabaloo we call our democratic political process?

This is a season of going political and I expect any article from any angle. That is why I needed to know themeaning of this text in its full clarity because it is in English and not Latin. Anything can be translated anyhow.

Unless you are Ulimwengu but let him accept to be corrected. Native English speaking countries rarely entertain such language presentation. Using uncommon words be it a Kiswahili (not Swahili) or 'the English', it is a failure. I know my primary school learning days when we used to search for such words and call them vocabularies but using non-spoken words is an annoyance to readers of newspapers.

Probably this is my weakness but I assure you, a newspaper for wide circulation will never use such writing tactics if not, it is a specialized language for specialized readers, I mean a journal, something I don't expect to find it here.

Hata mimi nilidhani slighted maana yake ni kuwa Dr. Slaa hana afya. Mkuu. hizi lugha tuwaachie wenyewe wakina Kiranga. Kama unalalamikia lugha iliyotumika katika article hii basi iko kazi. Lakini, kwa upande mwingine, nikisoma ulichoandika, naelewa ulikotokea.

Amandla....

I know for sure that 'the slighted Slaa' a.k.a 'the stone that builders rejected' will put up a good fight just like Ghana did for the World Cup this year in South Africa. However, the same fate that befell Ghana's effort will befall our venerated Dr Slaa, and obviously, for the same reasons. It is still worth putting up the show though, and verily I say unto you, the impact will be very constructive.

Kithuku,

You have very succintly and eloquently, with the right analogy, poised the same thing I have been saying here for the past few days.

Tatizo kuna a religious craze hapa ukiwa realist na kusema "I am more interested to see how much of the gap will Slaa close, and I am almost certain he will not win the election" certain types hapa zinakuona una blaspheme the spirit of change.

I don't have a problem with being hopeful, but hope without realism is a poisonous addiction. And the realist in me sees that the best the opposition can do is close that gap gradually and not slip back into the single digit percentages, and win more parliament seats.

Watu wanataka kunipiga mawe hapa, even thou I say this with the opposition's best interest at heart. Bora umeelewa hili mkuu, maana saa nyingine naona kama the voice of reason is drowning under the deafening screams of fanatical trances .

This is a season of going political and I expect any article from any angle.

If you expect any article from any angle then don't be surprised to see some ten dollar words in some articles, if you are surprised then you really do not "expect any article from any angle". Speaking of "expecting any article from any angle" what exactly do you mean ? You read like (i.e, the words you write make the impression that) you are making some direct translation from Swahili that does not make direct sense, do you mean that "You expect yourself to read any article from any angle" ? or do you mean "You expect Ulimwengu to write for people from any angle" ? Naona Kiingereza kinakutatiza kiujumla, na wala si swala la Ulimwengu kutumia maneno magumu.

That is why I needed to know themeaning of this text in its full clarity because it is in English and not Latin. Anything can be translated anyhow.

Right, if you don't know the language or are living in an alternate universe.I suggest you boost your linguistic skills, I doubt you are living in an alternate universe, then again your brain may be.

.Unless you are Ulimwengu but let him accept to be corrected.

Is this even a sentence ? I see it starts after a period and ends with a period, which should indicate that it is a full sentence, but it doesn't read like one for sure. Do you still think you have what it takes to determine what is the correct vocabulary that Mr. Ulimwengu should use ? There is a thread about graduates not being able to write good English, right here in JF, now I don't know if you are a graduate or not, but you certainly have all the hallmarks of a sample space of this phenomena in general.

.Unless you are Ulimwengu but let him accept to be corrected.

I'm sorry I had to requote, but it was simply irresistible. Unless inaenda na but bila kitu kingine hapo katikati? Mwalimu wako wa Kiingereza nani uende kumdai sehemu ya ada yako unayoweza kuitoa katika somo la Kiingereza ?

This is another one of those choppy sentences that exposes you as someone who doesn't have the bare basics of English. I am no English Lit major or laureate of any sort but I can see that, c'mon for real ? "Unless you are Ulimwengu but let him accept to be corrected" Are you serious ? Did you meanto say I cannot speak for Ulimwengu and I should let him accept the correction/ respond? You lack more than English skills, you lack logical thinking, I was telling you that there is no correction at all, it is just your poor English skills. In any case, if you really want Ulimwengu to reply to your broken English carrying criticism, you should write to him, not to this board, his email is at the bottom of that article on the "The East African" website.

The minute you write something on JF, it is up for discussion by all JF members. Muulize Regia Mtema.

Native English speaking countries rarely entertain such language presentation.

Unasoma "The Guardian" "The Economist" na "The New York Times" wewe? au unasoma "US Weekly" na kusema ni native English speakers magazine ?

Using uncommon words be it a Kiswahili (not Swahili) or 'the English', it is a failure.

By the way, when you are writing in English, our language is called "Swahili" not Kiswahili. Ki is a Swahili prefix that denotes almost all languages, this is why in Swahili, the language of the Sukuma is called "Kisukuma" of the Nyakyusa "Kinyakyusa" of the Zulu "KiZulu" of the Spanish "Kihispania" etc.

In English you do not have the prefix Ki to denote languages, that is why the English call the language of the Zulu "Zulu" or " the Zulu language" but never "Kizulu", when you start to use "Ki" you are not using English, you are reverting into Swahili.So if you are writing in English, the language of the Swahili is "Swahili" and not Kiswahili, when you are writing in Swahili, the language of the Swahili is Kiswahili, and not "Swahili". Don't get it twisted.

I know my primary school learning days when we used to search for such words and call them vocabularies
every word is part of the vocabulary of a language.

but using non-spoken words is an annoyance to readers of newspapers.

Mumbo jumbo, first off, he wrote, he wasn't speaking, so "non-spoken" words is misguided at best. If you can't deal with his vocabulary choice don't read him.Som of us are tired of the dumbing down and globish English that is out there, an Ulimwengu may prove refreshing to us. Remember what is "common English" to you need not be the same "common English" to me and Harith Mwapachu.

Probably this is my weakness but I assure you,

Before you assure me I assure you that there is no probability here, this is your weakness. And instead of asking Ulimwengu to dumb down his English, maybe the challenge is on your side to better yours.

a newspaper for wide circulation will never use such writing tactics if not,

Who told you that this is a newspaper for wide circulation ? Some people mind quality over quantity and you may be missing the point entirly by thinking this is for every Tom Dick and Mchunguzi (Mchunguzi asiyechunguza)

it is a specialized language for specialized readers, I mean a journal, something I don't expect to find it here

Trust me you haven't seen anything specialized, ni kama ulivyosema mwanzo kwamba una weakness ya lugha, sasa mtu ukishakuwa na weakness ya lugha unakuwa unaona kila kitu kama kipo specialized.

Unanikumbusha lile tangazo la biashara la kutangaza English course, Maimuna kapokea simu, anaambiwa

Caller: Hello, is that Goods Supplies Limited ?
Maimuna: Mimi Maimuna
Caller: Is that Goods Supplies Limited ??
Maimuna: Nimesema Maimuna
Caller : Is that Goods Supplies Limited !!!???
Maimuna: anaweka simu chini na kujisema mwenyewe, "anasema Kiingereza kigumu huyo"

Sasa angalia usije kuwa maimuna wetu hapa, mtu anaandika Kiingerza cha kawaida kabisa wewe unasema "anaandika Kiingereza kigumu huyu"

Kithuku,

You have very succintly and eloquently, with the right analogy, poised the same thing I have been saying here for the past few days.

Tatizo kuna a religious craze hapa ukiwa realist na kusema "I am more interested to see how much of the gap will Slaa close, and I am almost certain he will not win the election" certain types hapa zinakuona una blaspheme the spirit of change.

I don't have a problem with being hopeful, but hope without realism is a poisonous addiction. And the realist in me sees that the best the opposition can do is close that gap gradually and not slip back into the single digit percentages, and win more parliament seats.

Watu wanataka kunipiga mawe hapa, even thou I say this with the opposition's best interest at heart. Bora umeelewa hili mkuu, maana saa nyingine naona kama the voice of reason is drowning under the deafening screams of fanatical trances .

Hapo umeongea babu. Being idealistic then one has a moral obligation to be pragmatic. Tatizo wadau washakuwa wanazi sana hadi wanaukana ukweli.

...How sure are about this? Have you ever heard about Kenya's Sunday Nation? Do you know that it is one, if not the Only One, Newspaper with the largest circulation in our EA? Have you ever read the musings of one of their top Columnists Phillip Ochieng' called 'The Fifth Columnist'? Unahitaji kuwa na Kamusi kando yako ili Kuisoma hiyo Column! Na hili ni moja ya gaeti lenye wasomaji wengi sana kwenye huu ukanda wetu wa EA! Muache Jenerali atumie lugha anayoona inafaa kuwasiliana na wasomaji wake. wa kumuelewa watamuelewa.

I may agree that a constitutional change may not be the magic wand, but I hardly agree that the solution has to start with the choice of the right person. If you advocate for this position (it starts with the choice of the right person) essentially you are advocating an emphasis on personalities than on institutions, you can only go so far with this strategy and you will always be at the mercy of that "right person". And to revisit a truism Lord Acton espoused "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". So the very person you think is "the right person" because they presented themselves as such, could be the first to go against the people's interest under some Machiavellian scheme if given the opportunity and no constitutional reprimand.

This is the same reason why Nyerere, after fighting the colonials for so long and having clinched the absolute power in Tanzaniam, used the same oppressive colonial "indefinite detention" laws to detain his political opponents in the early days of Tanzania. This is the same reason that made Kikwete, the once ever so smooth populist and people person who would bend over backward, cross rivers barefoot, kiss dirty peasant's babies and generally do everything short of giving you his wife for popularity, having clinched power in Tanzania, now is talking trash about how he doesn't need workers votes.

This is the same reason that Mkapa, that ever low key first rate journalist and policy wonk, that scrupulous Higher Education Minister who used to return a portion of his Ministry's budget that was not used, that intellectual interested in ideals and not money, before he got absolute power in Tanzania, and after he achieved the ultimate power and with no Nyerere to look over his shoulder, he was using the State House to benefit personally, an abomination to a Nyerereist. Power had gone to their heads. So you have no way of knowing who is "the right person" until that person is in power, and even then, they can change anyday. To remove any doubt about this, to remove any second guessing or fallible estimates, learned people the world over put trust in the rule of law, not in individuals.

The only reason why I say constitutional changes may not be enough is because I believe constitutional changes must be accompanied by civic education to the masses.there is no use in having a beautiful constitution that is not being adhered to and the people do not know enough to care. The people must be educated and must take a personal stake in these matters, until then you can make all the constitutional changes and the powers that be might as well use the constitution in place of toilet paper.It will not be a living constitution, just another piece of paper. We want and deserve more than that.

Indeed, if the people are not educated on the issues, politically aware and active in civics, how can they know the "right person" from "the social climbing Machiavellian usurper" in the first place given the confusing hullabaloo we call our democratic political process?

I remember Archbishop Desmond Tutu Once said: "Not every country has a Nelson Mandela. As much as we may view presidency in an institutional context still personality, leadership and Charisma plays a huge role in influencing the accomplishment of our goals.

Institutions are found on the idea of social role and lasting accountability that surpass individualism, but this can only work when our leaders are willing to abide in these principles, and in the first place it must start with an individual and there is where we a need a right person!

I remember Archbishop Desmond Tutu Once said: "Not every country has a Nelson Mandela. As much as we may view presidency in an institutional context still personality, leadership and Charisma plays a huge role in influencing the accomplishment of our goals.

Institutions are found on the idea of social role and lasting accountability that surpass individualism, but this can only work when our leaders are willing to abide in these principles, and in the first place it must start with an individual and there is where we a need a right person!

Sikatai tunahitaji the right person, lakini between the right person na the right institutions/ education we need the right institutions/ education than we do need the right person. Because not every country has a Mandela as you correctly said (even Mandela himself is fallible in many ways), then we must enforce the ethics of a prototype leader (e.g your ideal Mandela ) in our institutions (e.g Constitution) so that anybody who will become president, regardless of his/ her views and level of benevolence, will be forced to do certain things.

Kuendelea tunahitaji a people based thinking, a bottom up approach, not a top down look at things.Top down systems ni characteristics za totalitarianism na cults of personalities za kina Stalin na Mao huko, hatutaki top down systems, tunataka bottom up.

In fact Askofu Tutu, that venerable human being, anaposema "not every country has a Mandela, we have been richly blessed in him' tunaochunguza maneno tunaona kwamba anatetea institutional changes, na wala si personal charisma kama inavyoonekana prima facie. Kwa nini ? Kwa sababu anakwambia Mandela ana benevolence isiyo ya kawaida, hatokei kila mahala tu, kwa hiyo wao wanajisikia kubarikiwa sana kuwa na rais kama huyu.

Translation? Do not take this lightly, do not take this for granted, this does not happen everyday, you might as well write it down and institutionalize an ethical leadership, kwa sababu hata kama una a Mandela leo (selfless and benevolent president) who is to say how a Thabo Mbeki or a Jacob Zuma will turn out tomorrow? Therefore a country must institutionalize its presidency as much as possible. Kwa hiyo unaweza kuona Askofu Tutu alikuwa anatetea personality, kumbe anakwambia this is a rare exception, so better make this exception the rule ( make rules based on the high standards of this exception) so that every president is forced to be ethical above the mediocre uusual African standards.

This is the idea behind the rule of law, equal standards for all, hatuachii watu kwa sababu tunafikirifikiri kwamba wao ni wazuri tu, bila ya kuwawekea vifungu rasmi vya kuwalazimisha kuwa wazuri.Tukipata matapeli wanaojua ku act wakati wanachumbia urais na kutubadilikia madarakani je? Tutasemaje ? Nimetoa mifano hapo juu ya jinsi marais wetu walivyoonekana wazuri wakati hawajafikia urais na kutubadilikia baada ya kupata urais, tunataka kuendelea kubadilikiwa hivi mpaka lini?

Hujajibu swali langu la mwisho, kama watu hawana elimu ya uraia na mwamko wa siasa, watajuaje huyu ndiye mtu anayetufaa na huyu mbabaishaji?

Kwanza kabisa unahitaji elimu kwa wananchi, halafu yote yatafuata. Ama sivyo hata wapinzani tunaowasheherekea leo kesho wanaweza kutu-Chiluba vizuri sana.

This article shows, once again, that Jenerali Ulimwengu still has what it takes. I have not quite forgiven him for selling our papers to Rostam, but the man is mellowing me with his style. It's a style that befits The East African, and rises way above anything that you could see in the Daily News or the Guardian.

History is guided by the hand of God. It seems to me that the consecration of our country to Divine protection that was done at Independence and re-enacted in 1990, was not in vain. Precisely at this moment of pain, when the economy is in a mess and national pride is in tatters, the Lord Himself is giving us a new group of leaders.

Sasa angalia usije kuwa maimuna wetu hapa, mtu anaandika Kiingerza cha kawaida kabisa wewe unasema "anaandika Kiingereza kigumu huyu"

Ni ugonjwa usiotibika.
Nikisoma analyses zako naona kama umekuwa devil’s advocate?

Ni vibaya kuandika au kuzungumza English ya kitanzania kweli? Hakuna varieties za English ktk dunia hii? British English, American English, Jamaican na hata pidgin english. What do these mean?

Hakuna haja ya kujilazimisha kuwa American wakati wewe ni m-tz

Binafsi iwe English au Kiswahili ukishatumia maneno ambayo ni uncommon nitakuona huelewi lengo la uandishi wako. Baadhi watakusifu lugha unaifahamau lakini ukweli ni ule ule kwamba ni uandishi wa kujifanya au kuigiza.

Hata Hotuba za bajeti ktk Bunge letu zitolewazo kwa Kiswahili, ziliwahi kuwa za aina hiyo. Lakini mambo yamerekebishwa sasa iweje wewe hutaki! Au ktk gazeti eti tuseme lugha anaifahamu. Is that the intention of calling himself a columnist.

Imetosha maana hukawii kutumia neno ’stupid.’

About the uncommon English words, Ulimwengu was writing for "The East African" and not some ragtag run of the mill yellow sheet.This is a paper intellectuals read, people expected to be comfortably familiar with not only "uncommon english language words" (what other English words are there except for English language words ?) but also the difference between Lenin and Voltaire (I am surprised you did not mention the part about Voltaire) and if possible even some Marx and Hegelian dialectics. The problem is not Ulimwengu's English, the issue is his level of sophistication and I doubt even if he was writing in Swahili and attempted to use not frequently used Swahili words to paint a clearer picture , I doubt it would make a difference in your cry for dumbing down issues and using only 10% of the dictionary.

I don't have any problem with those big words, but now what are you guys doing to help other Tanzanians to master that queen's thing (even the simplest of it). Since you seem to be prodigies at it, maana huku maofisini hata wakurugenzi with their degrees wakianza kuongea kiingereza, ni kizungumkuti. What about volunteer english classes for those who are around or something of the sort! That language seem to be anightmarish to many of us bongolanders. Like the other advert: Welcome to ...restaurant where you eat until you say Ooh No Hassan, you will kill me with food!

Im trying to ask my self what Ulimwengu is trying to say i dont understand it is kind of a proloonged story!

Back
Top Bottom