Arms race hots up in East Africa

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009
Arms race hots up in East Africa

ARMR.jpg

Photo/FILE A Kenya Army helicopter patrolling the airspace in Kwale District on May 3, 2011.

By BENJAMIN MUINDI bmuindi@ke.nationmedia.com
Posted Monday, April 9 2012 at 22:30

In Summary

• Uganda's budget for military spending now surpasses Kenya's expenditure for the first time, says new global arms report

Competition for military superiority in the East African Community has seen Uganda's arms expenditure surpass Kenya's for the first time this year, a new global arms report shows.

Kampala spent US$1.02 billion (Sh83 billion) - much more than Kenya's US$735 million (Sh61 billion), the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri) says. The institute does research into conflict and arms control.

The most advanced

In particular, Uganda's acquisition of six SU-30MK Russian jets is said to have elevated its air force to one of the most advanced in East and Central Africa.

The reasons for the increased budget, according to the report, include competition for regional military superiority, especially with Kenya, and the threat of a spillover from potential conflict between Sudan and South Sudan.

Others included the operation in Somalia against Al-Shabaab where the region's armies, including Kenya's, are fighting under the African Mission in Somalia (Amisom), and against Joseph Kony's rebels in the DR Congo are quoted as reasons for Uganda's ballooning military expenditure.

The friction with Kenya over Migingo Island almost sparked a confrontation and this is also cited as justification for more military spending by Kampala.

Kenya's military expenditure has also been going up in the last decade. The country spent only Sh14 billion on the military in 2000 compared to more than Sh60 billion today.

Both Kenya and Uganda have seen imports in military hardware increase significantly in 2002-2006 and 2007-11.
Kenya did not import major arms in 2002-2006 but in 2007-11 it received 15 second-hand F-5E combat aircraft from Jordan, 32 WZ 551 APCs and four Z-9WA helicopters from China, three Mi-171 helicopters from Russia and 35 Puma M-26 APCs from South Africa.

In 2011, Kenya used some of the recently acquired weapons in its campaign in Somalia. Uganda's imports increased by over 300 per cent, mainly due to the delivery of four Su-30MK combat aircraft and associated guided weapons from Russia in 2011.

To compile details of the arms purchases, Sipri researcher Pieter Wezeman said the organisation gets information from several open sources and focuses on major arms deals.

He said the information is not complete and that there are deals they might miss. Of the small arms and light weapons, assault rifles and submachine guns transferred in sub-Saharan Africa in the last four years, Uganda received 17 per cent and Kenya, which remains the biggest military spender in the region took 23 per cent.

Kenya is reported to have procured 51,500 while Uganda got 38,000 of the arms.

In Uganda's case, it noted, President Yoweri Museveni has always wanted to be seen as the military giant of the region. "He has wanted a well-equipped army ever since his government formulated its security policy in 2001."

Relatively peaceful

The report questioned such heavy military expenditure given that his country is relatively peaceful and, most importantly, in the economic doldrums.

According to The Independent of Uganda, Kampala's arms appetite is said to have been whetted by its oil discovery with the world's weapons manufacturers increasingly seeing it as a potential buyer.

High military spending is synonymous with Africa's top oil producers from Angola, Libya, Algeria, Nigeria and even mineral-rich South Africa which, despite not having any wars, is Africa's biggest military spender.

President Museveni, it reports, defended the purchases, saying they would help fight insurgents, especially the Lord's Resistance Army.

He said Uganda had paid heavily for delays in acquiring high quality equipment.

"We suffered a lot fighting the LRA because of poor equipment. The UPDF was on foot just like the rebels and it became hard to flush them out," he said. "The jets are meant for bad elements that want to destabilise peace in Uganda."

In final efforts to wipe out the LRA, including the group's leader, Kony, who has terrorised the region with frequent attacks over the past two decades, Uganda, Central African Republic, South Sudan and DR Congo have put together a 5,000-strong force backed by the United Nations and African Union.

"It is likely that more weapons and ammunition have been imported into the region from countries that do not report on their arms exports in sufficient detail or at all," the report notes.

Additional reporting by The Independent of Uganda

Arms race hots up in East Africa *- News*|nation.co.ke

Competition for military superiority in the East African Community has seen Uganda's arms expenditure surpass Kenya's for the first time this year, a new global arms report shows.

..... Thread exists

..... Thread exists

Dont panic,Uganda is no match for Kenya Millitarily.....from training to equipment.Uganda's budget surges because of the purchase of six SU-30MK Russian jets.But i hope that you are aware that Kenya is on the way to acquire 24 F16 fighter jets to counter Ethiopia and Uganda.I hope that you are also aware that the six SU-30MK Uganda acquired....two are already scrap because one sacked several birds at Kololo and their engines malfunctioned while the other crashed in Entebbe because of pilot errors on runaway

South Sudan Imports Chinese Military Trucks

607847-96384.png

607847-96383.png

A CONSIGNMENT of military trucks has left the port of Mombasa for South Sudan, five days after they arrived by sea from China. The consignment was offloaded on Wednesday last week at the G-Section of the port, where overstayed containers are normally stored. It was cleared a day before the Easter holidays commenced.

The KPA shipping schedule confirmed that the consignment, part of which belongs to the United Nations, was brought on diverse days to Mombasa, using two vehicle carriers, Bahamas-flagged MV Crystal Ray and Panama-flagged MV Topaz Ace. They left Yokohama port on February 23 and 26 this year, passing through several other ports including Kobe, Durban and Dar-es-Salaam, and then Mombasa.

The vessels arrived in Mombasa on April 3 and the shipping company handling the consignment was, according to the manifest, the Freight Forwarders. The importation of the military hardware by South Sudan follows rising tensions with Sudan over boundaries and the sharing of oil resources. South Sudan has ruled out going to war with the North and asked Kenya to mediate to end the standoff that has seen scores of people killed over two months and a wave of refugees moving southward into Kenya.

The assistant director of public communication in the Ministry of Defense, Bogita Ongeri, refused to comment on the consignment and referred us to the High Commissioner of South Sudan. "The Sudanese officials are better and well placed to respond to this since the consignment is theirs. It is not something for Kenyans," he added.

In 2008, a piracy attack incident on MV Faina exposed that the vessel had military cargo including 33 T-72 main battle tanks (MBTs), weapons and ammunition and documents that identified the buyer as the Government of South Sudan. The Kenya government insisted the acronym GOSS meant the Kenyan army's own General Ordinance Supplies and Security and said the tanks were deployed to various bases in Kenya. However, satellite photos monitoring the tanks showed them being transported to various bases in South Sudan.

Yesterday, our sources at the port said the South Sudan government has continued to import its military equipment and other hardware through the port of Mombasa. "There has been a long-term agreement which was signed a long time ago. It is now that it is being implemented in phases," said the sources who cannot be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue.

The sources said the recent consignment includes 34 military trucks, trailers and wagons which had been at the port waiting for clearance. The KPA head of corporate affairs, Bernard Osero, gave a breakdown of all the vehicles which have been imported through the port in the last month but did not include the military ones headed for South Sudan.

http://www.the-star.co.ke/national/...illitary-wares-leave-msa-port-for-south-sudan

Its okay to keep abreast with armament development..But at what cost to the poor and priority needs!

How about tz,maana haya mambo si ya kupuuzia hata kidogo,we must stay sceptical

Kenya increased spending on military equipment last year with the importation of eight war ships and six armoured vehicles, data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri) shows.

Kenya’s overall military spend rose to Sh52.2 billion ($594 million) in 2010 from Sh47.5 billion ($580 million) in 2009. The figures are adjusted for inflation and are based on a mean annual exchange rate of Sh88 to the dollar.

The institute says Kenya imported the armoured vehicles from South Africa and aircraft from France but does not directly link the acquisitions to Operation Linda Nchi, the incursion deep into Somalia meant to flush out Al-Shabaab militia which had started attacking tourist facilities in Kenya.

The institute says the increase in military spending consolidated Kenya’s position as the biggest spender on defence in the region. Military spending often diverts money from urgent social needs in developing countries like Kenya which have high budget deficits.

Uganda spent 14 per cent less in 2010 at $276 million from $315 million in 2009. Rwanda spent $77.2 million last year up from $75.3 million in 2009. Although data for Tanzania and Burundi was not available, Tanzania has recorded the lowest expenditure on defence as a percentage of GDP, averaging at 1.1 per cent for the last five years. Data from Sipri shows that Kenya spent an average of two per cent of her national income on defence compared to Uganda and Rwanda at 1.8 per cent and 1.4 per cent respectively. “Kenya’s growing spending is taking up a rising share of its GDP from 1.6 per cent in 2004 to two per cent in 2010,” commented the Society for International Development (Sid) in a report. Kenya’s inflation dropped to 15.6 per cent in March from 16.6 per cent, but the cost of living has remained high compared to 9.9 per cent at the same period last year with energy being the main driver of inflation.

One armoured vehicle is estimated to cost about Sh10 million. A single war ship costs more than Sh5 billion. Kenya also imported 93 aircraft in 2010 from China, Jordan, and Russia.

Kenya faces a growing public debt that hit Sh1.4 trillion last December as it seeks to finance infrastructure and the war in Somalia together with financing elections.

Kenya’s military spend is expected to surge as its military incursion into Somalia continues with threats of terrorism higher than ever before. The country is banking on the Somalia war to boost security, increase tourist numbers, and open up the north eastern region to foreign direct investments.

Tanzania’s military spending as a percentage of GDP was the lowest among the East African member states in the last five years with Burundi being the highest spender followed by Kenya. The military expenditure as a ratio of GDP normally indicates the amount of money being diverted away from basic national needs especially at times when the country is not at war.

Between 2007 and 2010 Kenya bought 655 grenade launchers, 44,500 assault rifles, and 550 machine guns from Ukraine.

The country also bought 6,964 assault rifles from the United States. Kenya and Uganda are the largest spenders on weapon imports in the region.

Sipri is an independent international institute dedicated to research into conflict, armament, arms control, and disarmament. It is based in Switzerland.

Bro,F15 and F16 are only supplied by US Army.Kenya and Morrocco hav been scouting for them since Mid 2010......8 have already arrived.READ BELOW
8-F-16 Fighters Awaiting Assembly in Kenya « Strategic Intelligence News

Wewe Kayundi2,

I need you to realise that when I ask you pertinet questions, there is a reason behind it! I already know
who supplies the F-15s lakini in this Kenyan situation I had already heard a few theories courtesy of
a friend I went to school with who is a Major in KDF. Kwa hivyo when you post on this forum about
KDF ujue kwamba tuko wengi ambao tuna 'sources'. Now in regards to the question I asked you,
how do you explain this:....that the outsourcing of the planes is from Israel?...Sijaongeza ile hadithi
ya Jordan bado!

...http://intelligencebriefs.com/?p=1393

...America will not sell military aircraft to Kenya!...Tusidanganyane mkuu!

Ab Tichaz, the birds will land sooner than you think. Dont ask for links, whether F15 or F16, the recent expansion/modernisation of strategic barracks, specifically Langata Air Base and Wajir FOB; the latter by US seabees is an indicator that Kenya is expecting some tech stuff. Your sources are out of touch or willingly denied you data.

How about tz,maana haya mambo si ya kupuuzia hata kidogo,we must stay sceptical

tanzania has never aquired any modern weaponry since the kagera war. the only major procurement is the radar which sparked a major storm

Ab Tichaz, the birds will land sooner than you think. Dont ask for links, whether F15 or F16, the recent expansion/modernisation of strategic barracks, specifically Langata Air Base and Wajir FOB; the latter by US seabees is an indicator that Kenya is expecting some tech stuff. Your sources are out of touch or willingly denied you data.

Livewire,

I cannot doubt my sources no matter what...them guys took care of me at times of need and we are
blood brothers so to speak. Kwa taarifa yako when those Chinese trucks were flipping folks in Nairobi, I
just happened to be vacationing there and I asked about it....the answer was really sad as usual.
Corruption has riddled every facet of the republic and even serious tenders like these are guided by
tribal arithmetic rather than reason. I would take that answer a hundred times that any answer from
apologists of the regime.

Remember the 'old birds' that came from Jordan?...Thats what I wanted Kayundi2 to talk about.

Nuff sed.

We have to be alerted Tanzanians!!!with this ongoing land ownership issues on EAC mmmhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wewe Kayundi2,

I need you to realise that when I ask you pertinet questions, there is a reason behind it! I already know
who supplies the F-15s lakini in this Kenyan situation I had already heard a few theories courtesy of
a friend I went to school with who is a Major in KDF. Kwa hivyo when you post on this forum about
KDF ujue kwamba tuko wengi ambao tuna 'sources'. Now in regards to the question I asked you,
how do you explain this:....that the outsourcing of the planes is from Israel?...Sijaongeza ile hadithi
ya Jordan bado!

...Kenya Air Force May Have Acquired 8 Israeli F-15 Strike Eagles « Strategic Intelligence News

Retrofitted Aging FIGHTERS! that are no match to SUKHOI-30MK:heh:.

Wewe Kayundi2,

ya Jordan bado!

...Kenya Air Force May Have Acquired 8 Israeli F-15 Strike Eagles « Strategic Intelligence News

Mkuu,

I hope you should be aware that Kenya could have acquired these birds as early as mid 2010,but the US Army short changed us by supplying our order to the Morroccan Airforce in the pretext that our airbases at the time could not handle the birds and there were some issues concerning mantainance.But i know Senior Army men have been spending their time at an assembly point in Baltimore trying to sign the deal.Thats why at the moment all ourbases have been expanded to receive them.

Our purchases of F5 from Jordan were quite inorder taking into consideration......that during the time of their purchase no one expected Uganda was going to get those SUK's....we can call that "intelligence failure".Furthermore those birds from Jordan are not the real F5 as many people know them but modified F5E,which are much more advanced...but their biggest anomally is that they are not effective at night and cant fly well in extreme whether.....but at the same time they can challenge the SUK's in broad daylight in dog fights.That one not withstanding.......their is some talk that Cameroonians are willing to buy them from us,but its not confirmed

kwani this ab-titchaz guy. Do u think u r the only one who knows people at the top of the military?

I will tell you that i KNOW that Kenya is trying to buy new and used f-15. We already have a group of air force personnel in Israel and USA right now being trained how to fly and repair those planes. I already know that since 2007 is when Kenya first raised the idea of buying them.

Nways, let me stop there. Ab-titchaz, you not the only one who knows people in the military.

Back
Top Bottom