ALL CAPS emails lead to woman's firing

Kaizer

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2008
ALL CAPS emails lead to woman's firing

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:04PM EDT
WHAT COULD BE MORE ANNOYING THAN THIS? MAYBE IF IT WAS BOLD? AND RED?
OK, I can't actually make that text red due to the publishing system I'm on, but it would certainly be annoying, wouldn't it?
And if you worked for New Zealand's ProCare Health, it could even get you fired.
That's exactly what hapened to Vicki Walker, who was abruptly kicked out of her job for sending "confrontational emails" with text formatted in a variety of red, bold, and all caps fonts. Walker had sent the emails to fellow workers within the company, usually with stern and detailed instructions on how forms should be properly filled out.
Someone at ProCare didn't like her approach, suggesting she caused "disharmony in the workplace" and was being too confrontational via email, eventually firing her without warning.
Walker, however, got the last laugh. She sued for wrongful termination and won the case, pocketing $17,000 in lost wages and for other unspecified harm caused due to the firing.
Quite a predicament. Is it actually possible to be confrontational in an email message? With instructions on how to fill out a form? By all accounts, Walker's emails sound rude and brusque, but did she cross a line? Just how angry would an email have to be in order to merit being fired from her job? I know I've sent a "confrontational" message or two to my co-workers in the past, and I've received more than my fair share of them, I think. I never recall anyone getting fired for it.
What do you think? Is it OK to fire someone for misuse of their caps lock button? Feel free to respond in the comments section below. First one to do so in all caps gets fired. Source: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/148175

LOL. Sijui wenzangu mnalionaje pia hili? Na applicability yake hapa JF?

maana kuna wakati naona watu wengine wanatumia caps tena font size kubwa na kisha tena inakuwa nyekundu..bila ulazima wowote..sijui nao wapewe ban ama vipi.?

LOL. Sijui wenzangu mnalionaje pia hili? Na applicability yake hapa JF?

maana kuna wakati naona watu wengine wanatumia caps tena font size kubwa na kisha tena inakuwa nyekundu..bila ulazima wowote..sijui nao wapewe ban ama vipi.?

Kaizer bwana we...kwa kweli mtu akinitumia hata sms ya ALL CAPS huwa inanikera ..it just looks like you are shouting at me....sasa kwenye email kwa kawaida kama unasisitiza jambo fulani its common practice to use all caps, bold ama underline...in short it strikes the reader and so passes the message kwa haraka.

ahahhah and of course ukiniudhi all caps comes in handy!!!! sasa kwa huyu dada sioni kama kulikuwa na maudhi yoyote she was just trying to make sure the said forms are filled in properly ndio mahakama ikampa ushindi wa kesi hiyo. how many times have you received emails from finance, etc reminding you HOW TO FILL IN YOUR TIME SHEETS????? they just want u to do it right..and of course wamechoka na watu ambao hawawezi kufollow simple instructions.

Really it depends on the context!:confused:

Kaizer bwana we...kwa kweli mtu akinitumia hata sms ya ALL CAPS huwa inanikera ..it just looks like you are shouting at me....sasa kwenye email kwa kawaida kama unasisitiza jambo fulani its common practice to use all caps, bold ama underline...in short it strikes the reader and so passes the message kwa haraka.

ahahhah and of course ukiniudhi all caps comes in handy!!!! sasa kwa huyu dada sioni kama kulikuwa na maudhi yoyote she was just trying to make sure the said forms are filled in properly ndio mahakama ikampa ushindi wa kesi hiyo. how many times have you received emails from finance, etc reminding you HOW TO FILL IN YOUR TIME SHEETS????? they just want u to do it right..and of course wamechoka na watu ambao hawawezi kufollow simple instructions.

Really it depends on the context!:confused:

hahaha Shishi, nadhani kwenye mambo ya email etiquette, wanasisitiza kuwa ukitumia CAPS ni kama unashout, u can get ur message accross bila kutumia hayo ma caps. Kama ni sehemu ya watu wastaarab waelewa na nini huoni kuwa unainvite matatizo bure? of course kisheria sawa hakuna inayozuia hiyo ila sasa unaonekana duh!

hao jamaa kweli lakini walikuwa to the extrem wangempa barua tu ya onyo lakini hii inaonyesha kuwa wengine wanakereka kweli na hili!

Back
Top Bottom