JF-Expert Member
Feb 23, 2012
7 OF THE EASIEST FOREIGN LANGUAGES TO LEARN

1. Spanish

Speaking: Very Easy
Grammar: Very Easy
Writing: Easy
Overall: Very Easy

As English speakers, we can be thankful that Spanish pronunciations are one of the easiest to learn.
Overall, Spanish has a shallow orthographic depth – meaning that most words are written as pronounced. This means that reading and writing in Spanish is a straightforward task.
With only ten vowel and diphthong sounds (English has 20), and no unfamiliar phonemes except for the fun-to-pronounce letter ñ. This makes learning how to speak Spanish the easiest out of the bunch, and may give you the best return on your time and investment, as 37 per cent of employers rated Spanish as a critical language to know for employment.

2. Italian

Speaking: Easy
Grammar: Easy
Writing: Moderately Easy
Overall: Easy

Italian is the most “romantic” of the romance languages. Luckily its latin-rooted vocabulary translates into many similar Italian/English cognates, such as foresta (forest), calendario (calendar), and ambizioso (ambitious).
Like Spanish, many of the words in Italian are written as pronounced. Moreover, the Italian sentence structure is highly rhythmic, with most words ending in vowels. This adds a musicality to the spoken language which makes it fairly simple to understand, and a spunky language to use.

3. French

Speaking: Moderate
Grammar: Moderate
Overall: Moderate

Welcome to the International language of love. Despite how different French may appear at first, linguists estimate that French has influenced up to a third of the modern English language.
This may also explain why French’s Latin derivations make much of the vocabulary familiar to English speakers (edifice, royal, village). There are also more verb forms (17, compared to the English 12) and gendered nouns (le crayon, la table).
But it’s not all easy.
Pronunciation in French is especially difficult, with vowel sounds and silent letters that you may not be used to in English.

4. Portuguese

Writing: Moderate

With the Brazilian economy ranking 6th in the world, Portuguese has become a powerful language to learn. One great element of the language is that interrogatives are fairly easy, expressed by intonation alone (“You Like This?”) If you can say it in Portuguese, you can ask it. What’s more, in Brazilian Portuguese, there’s one catchall question tag form: não é.
The main difficulty with the pronunciation is the nasal vowel sounds that require some practice.

5. German

Speaking: Difficult
Overall: Moderately Difficult

For many English speakers, German is a difficult language to pick up. Its long words, four noun case endings, and rough pronunciation gives your tongue quite the work out each time you speak.
German is recognized as a very descriptive language. A good example is how they use the noun by combining the object with the action at hand.
Example: das Fernsehen – the television, combines the words fern, far, andsehen, watching, lit. far-watching.
On the other hand, German can be a fun language to learn and its use of grammar is considered to be quite logical, with many overlapping words in English. Just watch out for the exceptions to the rules!

6. Hindi
Grammar: Moderately Difficult
Writing: Difficult

There are many familiar words in English which are either Hindi or of Hindi origin. For example guru, jungle, karma, yoga, bungalow, cheetah, looting, thug and avatar. Hindi also uses lots of English words. They are read and pronounced as they are in English, but are written in Hindi. For example, डॉक्टर is pronounced doctor and स्टेशन is pronounced station.
This shows that while learning the vocabulary and pronunciation of Hindi may not to be too difficult due to its similarity to English, writing in Hindi is a different ball game.

7. Mandarin
Grammar: Difficult
Writing: Very Difficult
Overall: Very Difficult

Last, but not least: Mandarin. We mainly put this here to show you the contrasting difference between the easiest language to learn (Spanish) and the hardest language to learn, for English speakers.
While language learners won’t struggle as much on the grammar, mastering the tones can be very difficult. Mandarin is a tonal language, which means the pitch or intonation used when a word is spoken impacts its meaning. For example, tang with a high tone means soup, but tang with a rising tone means sugar.
Learning Mandarin has its rewards though, providing cultural insights and knowledge. But according to the BBC, you’ll need to memorize over 2,000 characters to read a Chinese newspaper!

Naona umejaza Romance Languages kibao kwenye orodha yako.

Nikwambie kitu? Hakuna lugha ngumu au rahisi kujifunza. Kila mtu anajifunza lugha kivyake na kama vile hesabu au muziki kuna wengine wana vipaji vya kujifunza lugha haraka hata iwe Kichina, Kiarabu, Kiswahili kwake ni sawa tu. Wewe kama hukamati lugha kiurahisi hebu kiparamie hicho Kihispania na ma - gender system yake tuone kama utachomoka.

Hoja yako haina msingi ikiangaliwa kitaalamu kupitia tafiti mbali mbali za Psycholinguistics

Naomba maoni yenu juu ya hoja hii :- Kati ya kiswahili na kiingereza, ipi ni lugha nzuri inayofaa kutumika kufundishia na kujifunzia Katika shule za sekondari na vyuo vikuu hapa Tanzania?

7 OF THE EASIEST FOREIGN LANGUAGES TO LEARN

1. Spanish

Speaking: Very Easy
Grammar: Very Easy
Writing: Easy
Overall: Very Easy

As English speakers, we can be thankful that Spanish pronunciations are one of the easiest to learn.
Overall, Spanish has a shallow orthographic depth – meaning that most words are written as pronounced. This means that reading and writing in Spanish is a straightforward task.
With only ten vowel and diphthong sounds (English has 20), and no unfamiliar phonemes except for the fun-to-pronounce letter ñ. This makes learning how to speak Spanish the easiest out of the bunch, and may give you the best return on your time and investment, as 37 per cent of employers rated Spanish as a critical language to know for employment.

2. Italian

Speaking: Easy
Grammar: Easy
Overall: Easy

Italian is the most “romantic” of the romance languages. Luckily its latin-rooted vocabulary translates into many similar Italian/English cognates, such as foresta (forest), calendario (calendar), and ambizioso (ambitious).
Like Spanish, many of the words in Italian are written as pronounced. Moreover, the Italian sentence structure is highly rhythmic, with most words ending in vowels. This adds a musicality to the spoken language which makes it fairly simple to understand, and a spunky language to use.

3. French

Welcome to the International language of love. Despite how different French may appear at first, linguists estimate that French has influenced up to a third of the modern English language.
This may also explain why French’s Latin derivations make much of the vocabulary familiar to English speakers (edifice, royal, village). There are also more verb forms (17, compared to the English 12) and gendered nouns (le crayon, la table).
But it’s not all easy.
Pronunciation in French is especially difficult, with vowel sounds and silent letters that you may not be used to in English.

4. Portuguese

With the Brazilian economy ranking 6th in the world, Portuguese has become a powerful language to learn. One great element of the language is that interrogatives are fairly easy, expressed by intonation alone (“You Like This?”) If you can say it in Portuguese, you can ask it. What’s more, in Brazilian Portuguese, there’s one catchall question tag form: não é.
The main difficulty with the pronunciation is the nasal vowel sounds that require some practice.

5. German

For many English speakers, German is a difficult language to pick up. Its long words, four noun case endings, and rough pronunciation gives your tongue quite the work out each time you speak.
German is recognized as a very descriptive language. A good example is how they use the noun by combining the object with the action at hand.
Example: das Fernsehen – the television, combines the words fern, far, andsehen, watching, lit. far-watching.
On the other hand, German can be a fun language to learn and its use of grammar is considered to be quite logical, with many overlapping words in English. Just watch out for the exceptions to the rules!

6. Hindi
Grammar: Moderately Difficult
Writing: Difficult

There are many familiar words in English which are either Hindi or of Hindi origin. For example guru, jungle, karma, yoga, bungalow, cheetah, looting, thug and avatar. Hindi also uses lots of English words. They are read and pronounced as they are in English, but are written in Hindi. For example, डॉक्टर is pronounced doctor and स्टेशन is pronounced station.
This shows that while learning the vocabulary and pronunciation of Hindi may not to be too difficult due to its similarity to English, writing in Hindi is a different ball game.

7. Mandarin
Grammar: Difficult
Writing: Very Difficult
Overall: Very Difficult

Last, but not least: Mandarin. We mainly put this here to show you the contrasting difference between the easiest language to learn (Spanish) and the hardest language to learn, for English speakers.
While language learners won’t struggle as much on the grammar, mastering the tones can be very difficult. Mandarin is a tonal language, which means the pitch or intonation used when a word is spoken impacts its meaning. For example, tang with a high tone means soup, but tang with a rising tone means sugar.
Learning Mandarin has its rewards though, providing cultural insights and knowledge. But according to the BBC, you’ll need to memorize over 2,000 characters to read a Chinese newspaper!

wewe umefanikiwa kujifunza na kuongea hizo lugha zote?

Spanish is a very well-organized language. The ONLY difficult part of Spanish is conjugating verbs if the verb is irregular. It is a very beautiful language of expression..... I'm talking about Castillian Spanish, not the slang from Central and South America.

Spanish is a very well-organized language. The ONLY difficult part of Spanish is conjugating verbs if the verb is irregular. It is a very beautiful language of expression..... I'm talking about Castillian Spanish, not the slang from Central and South America.
Is there a language that's not " well organized" at least from a Linguistics point of view? May be because you speak it that's why you think that way. I tried Spanish and it is not an easy language to learn. Arabic was much easier for me than Spanish.

Naona umejaza Romance Languages kibao kwenye orodha yako.

Nikwambie kitu? Hakuna lugha ngumu au rahisi kujifunza. Kila mtu anajifunza lugha kivyake na kama vile hesabu au muziki kuna wengine wana vipaji vya kujifunza lugha haraka hata iwe Kichina, Kiarabu, Kiswahili kwake ni sawa tu. Wewe kama hukamati lugha kiurahisi hebu kiparamie hicho Kihispania na ma - gender system yake tuone kama utachomoka.

Hoja yako haina msingi ikiangaliwa kitaalamu kupitia tafiti mbali mbali za Psycholinguistics
Indeed that is very true.

Naomba maoni yenu juu ya hoja hii :- Kati ya kiswahili na kiingereza, ipi ni lugha nzuri inayofaa kutumika kufundishia na kujifunzia Katika shule za sekondari na vyuo vikuu hapa Tanzania?
Kiingereza

Hicho ki-mandarin achana nacho boss! Nilikijaribisha online nikapata kizunguzungu nkaacha.Yaani matamshi yake utafikiri ni wale ndege wanaoimba asubuhi mapema.
Hahahaha umenichekesha; sikifahamu

I managed to learn Spanish without any problems indeed, and I can tell you that it didn't even take me long to do that. Right now, I'm focused on German language learning with lingopie, and even though I used to struggle with writing, it stopped being an issue for me pretty fast, and now my level of German is not the worst.

I think that English is an easy language that can be learned quickly, but I still run into stupid situations where I need to somehow express my emotions or, for example, leave somewhere early, say goodbye to all people politely. In general, most often I find the right vocabulary in articles like this one promova.com/blog/how-to-leave-a-party-early, and it really helps me in communicating with native speakers.