Clashes continue as Sudan summit suspended
President Bashir calls off visit to Juba for talks with South Sudan counterpart after two armies engage in fighting.
Last Modified: 27 Mar 2012 18:17
Omar al-Bashir had agreed to meet with his southern counterpart in order to ease tensions between the two [Reuters]
Continuing clashes in an oil-rich area of the Sudan-South Sudan border have led to the suspension of a summit aimed at cooling tensions in the region. Omar al-Bashir, the Sudanese president, suspended on Tuesday an April 3 summit with his southern counterpart following the renewed clashes between the two countries' armies on the border.
"The government announced that it suspended Bashir's visit to Juba after the South Sudanese army attacked [the oil-rich territory of] Heglig," state radio reported early on Tuesday.
Comments by the South's leader Salva Kiir that his troops had taken the northern oil centre "reflected extreme hatred to Sudan," the official SUNA news agency quoted Abdullah Ali Massar, the information minister, as saying.
Massar said that South Sudan had engaged in "deceptive and misleading acts" when it signed accords with Khartoum at African Union-led talks in Ethiopia, and when last week it invited Bashir to the summit.
South Sudan, however, blamed its northern neighbour for the latest clashes.
"This morning the [Sudanese] air force came and bombed....areas in Unity state," Kiir said.
"It is a war that has been imposed on us again, but is they [Khartoum] who are looking for it," he said.
-Al Jazeera