Kenya ranks up there as a failed state....WOW!!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenya falls in ‘Failed State Index’ rankings

Aerial view of the city of Nairobi, Kenya's capital city. The country is said to be in greater danger of collapse than North Korea or Iran in the annual stability ranking of 177 countries.

By KEVIN J. KELLEY in New York
Posted Wednesday, June 23 2010 at 22:30

Kenya’s standing in a “Failed State Index” compiled by US researchers has fallen for the fourth consecutive year, with the country now ranked 13th among 20 states in a “critical condition”.

Kenya is said to be in greater danger of collapse than North Korea or Iran in the annual stability ranking of 177 countries. The index is the product of Foreign Policy magazine and the Fund for Peace, a Washington-based NGO.

An accompanying list of “the world’s worst dictators” includes the leaders of several countries that are given higher grades than Kenya.

They include Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, Rwanda’s Paul Kagame, Isaias Afewerki of Eritrea and Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Meles Zenawi.

Kenya’s listing in the index issued on Monday will present new headaches for the country’s diplomats and its lobbying team in Washington, who have been working to dispel impressions of Kenya as a corrupt and violent society.

But Kenya does have a vibrant civil society and a free press, so why is it ranked so poorly? A senior associate at the Fund for Peace, Mr Will Ferroggiaro, defended the rating.

He told the Daily Nation that Kenya scored worst with regard to “demographic pressures” and “delegitimisation of the state”, two of the 12 ranking criteria that are, in turn, based on what the index’s researchers say are 90,000 public sources.

Factionalism

The demographic criterion includes Kenya’s high rate of poverty, while delegitimisation refers to “extreme factionalism” among political parties and “heavy group grievances,” Mr Ferroggiaro said.

“These are very high pressures that should serve as a warning to Kenya,” he added. Kenya fell one notch this year from 14th place in the 2009 index. It was ranked 26th in 2008 and 31st in 2007.

Daily Nation:*- News*|Kenya falls in

yeah AB, You need to lay off from some of these reports.

Why bro? I believe there is some 'truthiness' in it or what say U?

Its scary that Kenya's failing status can be talked of in the same breath as Iran and North Korea.

ukisikia aid money for africa ujue ndio zinaenda kwenye group kama hizi,hapo utaambiwa hizo report zitasaidia to identify the problem,capacity building and some BS....cha ajabu policy maker wao na state dept wanatumia hizo report when they deal with us,hao so called intellectual ni very corrupt na wanaandika for their interest tuu na cha ajabu sisi tutalipa deni lote maana hata hizo pesa za report ni part ya mkopo ....damn,Africans tumelaanika,ngoja na sisi tuanzishe researcher group yetu then every after six month will publish a report about their obesity(just to shame them)

Why bro? I believe there is some 'truthiness' in it or what say U?

Its scary that Kenya's failing status can be talked of in the same breath as Iran and North Korea.

how can afghanistan(a country occupied by foreign forces from multible countries) be a more stable state than DRC????

Niger just had a millitary coup and yet somehow it is ranked higher than nigeria, does that make sense to you???

nigeria just had a PEACE change of presidency and yet it is worse than YEMEN which is a breeding spot for alqaeda???

Ethiopia just had VERY peaceful elections where by the people elected the leader they wanted(although the election was flawed but every observer said that even without election fraud zenawi would still have won) yet somehow it is ranked to be worse than north korea??? what sense does that make to you??????

AB, i can go on and on but what i am saying is you should quit reading just a newspaper article. the newspaper article is just a report of how somebody interpreted the failed states study.

go look at the actual report(instead of a newspaper article), study it and you will identify just how flawed the report is.

Bro,

Granted that what you are saying could be true, I wonder why you are not addressing the reasons
they used to put The Jamhuri in that category...demographic pressures” and “delegitimisation of the state"

Remember on the budget thread I was talking about an educated population that is disillusioned?... That
results directly into these demographic pressures they are referring to. Kisha poverty and low standards
of living within a high population is a simmering Keg that awaits to explode while waiting for a trigger. You
saw what happened after the '07 elections. When you have tonnes of idle minds laying around they will
become very gullible to the powers that be (read politicians) to start violence.

To address some of your queries, I believe Afghanistan simply because the Americans are there. Once
they pull out then Afghanistan will the most unstable country there is...so to speak.

Kisha dont dharau these military coups maana some of them have produced the most stable govts there
are despite what we are told or made to believe e.g Libya However I agree that coups dont produce the
most stable societies but yet again to each his own.

I believe wholeheartedly that Ethiopia is ranked worse off than N korea simply because the dictator Kim Jong Il
has a strangle
hold on dissenters and any kind of opposition whilst Ethiopia doesn't. You are more likely able to instigate
chaos in Ethiopia than in N Korea. That kinda makes sense to me in a way right there when it comes to
causing instability.

Meanwhile this report was right there, dead smack in the Daily Nation a kenyan Newspaper. I believe the
Kenyan editors who allowed it to grace their media saw some truthiness in it.

That's all im saying.

Nadhani ripoti hii imeipendelea Tanzania kwa sababu kuna makundfi ya mtandao na political system ya kuepnedela uzao wa viongozi wa CCM tu. Data kamili ni hizi hapa
View attachment 11312

Shukran kwa hii pdf link na statistics zilizomo.

Je mtazamo wako unakuashiria wapi kuhusu TZ? Is Tanzania better off than Kenya or tuko poa?

Koba,

Je in this case what are their interests in writing this report? Watafaidika nini
haswa maana mwenzio sioni. For you to just claim that they are writing for their own interests is
like a red hering argument and you are not analysing or giving a viable critic to the points in
which they are pegging their arguments/reasons.

over to you.

You cannot claim "demographic pressures" when talking about kenya and yet ignore the same thing when you compare north korea and ethiopia. ethiopians have a legitimately democratically ELECTED leader while north koreans have a leader forced on them. plus ethiopians actually see their government massively transorming the economy in to the singer biggest economy in east africa, YES bigger than kenya's economy. things are looking positive in ethiopia while the picture gets darker by the day in north korea yet somehow north korea is ranked higher than ethiopia??? why didnt the newspaper editor talk about that in the africa review newspaper? or why didnt he/she explain why nigeria is ranked worse than yemen and niger??? in the africa review newpaper???

this report is crap because there is a bucketload of evidence to prove that. the truth in this report is overshadowed by the glaring mistakes.

most of these international studies and rankings are deeply flawed and riddled with alot of vested intrests.

I came across an article by J. Peter Pham, which asks some critical questions, give it a read if you so please. I aint fully doubting the index but to be real it daent fully represent the conditions on the ground.
In Kenyas case, here is my analysis base on the criterion they use to quantify this unrealistic stats;

For the purposes of this index, a failing state is one in which the government does not have effective control of its territory-Not applicable to Kenya, despite the migingo island dispute, and the threat by Alshabab in the Nothern frontier, i think we have control of our territory , is not perceived as legitimate by a significant portion of its population- Dont know about you but even though Kibaki's legitimacy is/was doubted by the ''majority'' most of us are now comfortable with the grand coalition goverment, and accept it as a legitimate goverment, does not provide domestic security or basic public services to its citizens- does the grenade attack at uhuru park count? coz every country has its fair share of insecurity caused by organised gangs, remember Dudus in Jamaica, the mexican drug cartels, the blood and creeps, KKK and other gangs in America, mungiki in Kenya, MS-13 in El Salvador and lacks a monopoly on the use of force. A failing state may experience active violence or simply be vulnerable to violence- every poor country is vulnerable to violence....

Click on the link to read the article does index predict or produce failed states by Peter pham. allAfrica.com: Africa: Does Index Predict or Produce Failed States?

Easy dude do away your nationalism; i know when Kenya is mentioned you hit a ceiling! There is credibility in that report you wait in 2012 you will see how volatile is that country of yours whether you have a constitution or not!

Easy dude do away your nationalism; i know when Kenya is mentioned you hit a ceiling! There is credibility in that report you wait in 2012 you will see how volatile is that country of yours whether you have a constitution or not!

nationalism? and what are you smoking???

and where did i defend kenya in my responses on this topic???

LET ME CALL YOU OUT ON YOUR BS. QUIT WITH THE CHEAP SHOTS AND POINT IT OUT WHERE I DEFENDED KENYA ON THIS REPORT ???

POINT IT OUT OR SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

that report is crap and you know that, so stop with the bashing and your prophesies for if it goes down 2012, the country which will be affected the most will be TZ coz most if not all employers will employ Kenyans.

You just owned him

that report is crap and you know that, so stop with the bashing and your prophesies for if it goes down 2012, the country which will be affected the most will be TZ coz most if not all employers will employ Kenyans and do away with uneducated, lazy fruits like you..

we will see, ofcourse we will employ you at the refugee camps! who wil give you a job as a refugee? :dance:

Sielewi what is the fuss all about. KENYA IS FAILING NATION according to Foreign Policy magazine and the Fund for Peace, a Washington-based NGO...wewe kama unaona hiyo ripoti haina kiwango tunga yako basi uweke Kenya mahali pa Norway..shida iko wapi?

AB, i think this report was written by a TZ.....:biggrin1:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…