Williams Passes Sorenstam as Top Women’s Prize

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Williams Passes Sorenstam as Top Women’s Prize

By Grant Clark​

Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Serena Williams passed Annika Sorenstam as the top prize money-earner in women’s sports history after securing a place in the Australian Open final.

The 27-year-old Williams defeated Elena Dementieva 6-3, 6-4 to advance to her fourth final at Melbourne Park and guarantee a paycheck of at least A$1 million ($660,000).

Williams will move to $22.7 million for her career if she loses and $23.3 million if she takes the A$2 million winner’s prize. Either will be enough to lift her past the tally of retired golfer Sorenstam of Sweden ($22.6 million).

“That’s cool,” Williams said in an interview at Melbourne Park today. “I just feel like I’m still young and I haven’t really played that much tennis. I took off a year here and there and I could have even done better.”

Williams, who will also get the No. 1 ranking if she secures her 10th Grand Slam title by beating third-seeded Dinara Safina of Russia in two days.

The American has won the Australian Open three times and started the tournament with career winnings of $22 million. She also reached the women’s doubles final today and would share another A$450,000 with sister Venus by winning tomorrow.

Williams made $14 million in total earnings last year including endorsements with companies such as Nike Inc., according to Forbes Inc. That ranked her second in women’s sports behind fellow tennis player Maria Sharapova of Russia. Venus Williams was listed third by Forbes with $13 million.

Earlier in the tournament, Williams said she had curbed her spending because of the recession. Becoming the top-paid sportswoman in prize money won’t change that, she said.

“Absolutely not,” Williams said in the interview. “I’m really thrifty. It’s for the best.”

TOP WOMEN’S PRIZE MONEY WINNERS
Serena Williams $22.7 million*
Annika Sorenstam $22.6 million
Lindsay Davenport $22.1 million
Venus Williams $22.0 million
Steffi Graf $21.9 million
Martina Navratilova $21.6 million
Martina Hingis $20.1 million

*$23.3 million if she wins final (she is also playing in the
doubles tournament).

Sources: WTA, LPGA

BAK,

alishinda fainali kwa hivyo ana 23.3 million.Numero uno mwanadada!!!

Australian-Open-Day-13-Serena-Williams-new2_1856618.jpg

I am disappointed that Venus and Serena's achievements did not attract more black players in UK, US and other countries. She will be motivated to win other three Slams (French Open, Wimbledon and US open) and she can do it provided that she stays away from injuries. Congrats! Serena :)

I am disappointed that Venus and Serena's achievements did not attract more black players in UK, US and other countries. She will be motivated to win other three Slams (French Open, Wimbledon and US open) and she can do it provided that she stays away from injuries. Congrats! Serena :)

With time things will change...especially with an Obama victory anything
is possible.

Back
Top Bottom